1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Loco: Look on the Bright Side!

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by General_W, Sep 13, 2007.

1. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

Well the software I use (windows Moviemaker) isn't very powerful. There's a zoom feature, but it's more subtle than what you're talking about.

I could do a staggered zoom, by loading different pictures each zoomed in closer manually. That's more work, but I wouldn't mind doing that for dramatic effect once or twice in the video.

What'd you have in mind? Our ships looming closer and closer? :evil:

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Roger, roger :salute:

3. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I've uploaded some ship shots to the team's gmail draft folder... I think they may not quite be what you're looking for, as I now reread your post. I'll try to do a few more this afternoon :)

teaser:

4. General_W

Actually - those are all wonderful... again! wow!

I'm eager to see your next round of shots also... lol ... the more the merrier!

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I just uploaded some more eye-levelish ones. I came across an easier way to control the camera (DON'T hold both mouse buttons :crazyeye:), so I will try to get some more 'bounty of the sea' shots.

What else are we missing? I'm happy to try to cater to any special story board ideas :)

I can try and work on the timing so that I can catch Loco forces dying, or the noble sacrifice our lads have made, but I haven't had much luck with that yet.

Also, each round takes over and hour to produce :eek:

It's real fun, though ;)

6. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Longbow death sequence - needs cropping.

Spoiler 3 :

Spoiler 2 :

Spoiler 1 :

Spoiler 0 :

7. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

City capture sequence.

Spoiler 7 :

Spoiler 6 :

Spoiler 5 :

Spoiler 4 :

Spoiler 3 :

8. General_W

That city capture sequence is AWESOME Dave - will be totally perfect.

I also love that shot of the cavalry sitting on the hill with Short Line in the background.

However - I don't see any difference between the 3 shots of the Longbowman?

9. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

How do you take eye level shots?

10. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Enable camera flying in your ini file, then press Ctrl+Alt+F.

11. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Just the number of white dots dropping - it might be easier to see when played in a movie. But if it's too subtle we don't have to use it.

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

It is pretty subtle - it took me a while to notice it. I'm still messing around with trying to get 'action' battle shots. But there's no guarantee they'll be anything better than what we've already got.

Search your .ini file for Camera, then change the 0 to 1

In game, press ctrl + alt + f to both enable and disable camera flying.

Holding both mouse buttons changes the way the camera moves compared to not holding them. Also, you can use the 4 arrow keys (not the numpad ones) to slide around.

shift + alt + i removes the entire interface.

sometimes the non-existent cursor will wind up on an active unit or stack, and you'll get the drop down menu for waking all, &c. Just hit escape to get rid of it.

Also (something I just learned this morning :)) you can click and drag the screenie title menu around, so you don't have to rubber-stamp over it later! :D

13. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I've uploaded a few more shots.

The first batch is Ships, fish-eye view. There's a nice one of a whale's fluke waving us on.

The second batch is the view from Loco of our ships approaching. There's some really nice ones in there.

@G_W: Is there a certain pixel dimension you need all these to be? I can go back to the original .tga files and recrop, if need be.

Speaking of which, .tga is a far superior file format for screenshots. It really slows things down while the camera is flying, but the results are worth it.

14. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

YouTube videos are 320 x 240. Test your image at that size to see how it will look. But I think it's better to give General_W a large version, so quality is not lost in processing.

How do you take screenshots in .tga?

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Open the civ4 config file in a text editor, search for "screenshot", and replace .jpg with .tga

If you have photoshop, you can open the files directly into photoshop. With jpegs and bitmaps, I had to open them first in ms photoeditor, for some reason.

16. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I just checked some of the images, and they look great, even at that small size!

I can't wait to see the finished project :D

@G_W: do you have a general story line or something that you can tease us with? Need help with anything else? Voice overs, scripting, &c?

17. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

18. General_W

Wow Peter - these are great!! I'm just sad that I probably won't be able to use all of them... Maybe I need to plan a longer video! lol

Like Dave said though- YouTube is going to horribly compress the quality of the pictures, so don't waste any time getting super high-res shots.

19. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Here's a shot of the new 'New B & O' :lol:

boy - I got this one out so fast I feel like a newpaper man :D

EDIT: one very interesting thing about the targa images: they automatically remove all the text overlays. I believe targas are rasterized (which is why they preserve the nice crisp edges). So if you want shots of troop info and such, you should reset your config file to .bmp or .jpg

20. General_W

Truly Impressive Peter! :hatsoff:

Your post about the overlays got me thinking...

Would be possible to get a series of images showing that (approximatly) "Congatrulations, you've captured the city of __________, and liberated X gold. Burn this city?" Message? I think it might be nice to do a little montage of those :D

EDIT: P.S. That picture is truly GREAT!