death by jungle fever

Ruby Lady

Chieftain
Okay, so I was aware that jungles affected cities built nearby, but it's news to me that they also affect troops left in the area.I had a rather large chunk of jungle seperating me from the russians and left some medieval infantry to keep an eye on things while i dealt with the Indians on my other border. Lo and behold, they keel over after being in the jungle too long. I hadn't been paying attention to how long they had been there. Does anyone know how long you can leave units in the jungle before they get sick? (playing Conquests, btw) :(

I've played probably hundreds of civ games, and suprisingly, I've never experienced it. I know it does happen, but I'm not sure how long you can leave a unit there - I would just keep him there.

I've experienced it in my first game and my (currently) last. I don't know how long it is, but if it is a set time, you should just pick him up and move him every 20 turns or so...

that's what i was thinking, however i don't know for sure if it IS a set time... of course the easy thing would be to stay out of the jungle :p

My experience is that units are safe in the jungle as long as they are not fortified.
My guess is that it is a random chance once they are fortified.

I think it's a random RNG roll each turn just as with cities in jungles/floodplains.

Jaybe said:
My experience is that units are safe in the jungle as long as they are not fortified.
My guess is that it is a random chance once they are fortified.
That's correct. I've been meaning to test to see if "sentry" units suffer from jungle fever, but haven't gotten around to it. I don't think they do.

It is not common, but I would not be leaving a unit in the jungle for 20 turns anyway. I once had the AI leave one in my land in a jungle tile for more than 100 turns. I did not want to provoke them at the time, so I let them stay.

I was curious about this (and borred) so I conducted some tests. My tests were as follows: 50 warriors enter the jungle on the same turn on 50 different jungle squares and fortify. This is on Chieftain difficulty level.

I ran the test until at least 20 warriors had died of disease. This happened after 510 turns. The number of turns between two deaths was between 3 and 73 turns, with an average of 25.6. The frequency of death did not seem to increase with time, which suggests that the game does not take into account the number of turns since the unit was fortified, but rather the number of turns since the last death due to disease. However, it is possible for two units to die on the same turn, as this happened once.

I also ran the test with unfortified (but not moving) units and none of the 50 warriors had died after 200 turns, which confirms the suggestion that a unit must be fortified in order to die of disease.

Well, at least I had something to do when I couldn't fall asleep... :crazyeye:

No only lone units die from disease.
I lost a whole cavalry army because of it.

Amazing test, Brain. So we are now certain on 2 things:
1) only fortified units are prone to death from disease.
2) the event is random (RNG-triggered)
This should solve Ruby's doubts.

Brain said:
I was curious about this (and borred) so I conducted some tests. My tests were as follows: 50 warriors enter the jungle on the same turn on 50 different jungle squares and fortify. This is on Chieftain difficulty level.

I ran the test until at least 20 warriors had died of disease. This happened after 510 turns. The number of turns between two deaths was between 3 and 73 turns, with an average of 25.6. The frequency of death did not seem to increase with time, which suggests that the game does not take into account the number of turns since the unit was fortified, but rather the number of turns since the last death due to disease. However, it is possible for two units to die on the same turn, as this happened once.

I also ran the test with unfortified (but not moving) units and none of the 50 warriors had died after 200 turns, which confirms the suggestion that a unit must be fortified in order to die of disease.

Well, at least I had something to do when I couldn't fall asleep... :crazyeye:

Good work - now get some sleep.

Yes, I can confirm that only fortified units die from disease in the jungle. In my last game, I fortified a unit in a jungle tile (I forgot that it could die) but left others unfortified in other jungle tiles. The fortified unit died a few turns later, but the others are still unscathed (and lots of turns have passed).

I award you the Scuffer Knighthood for outstanding devotion above and beyond the call of duty for this outstanding and useful test.

Arise, Sir Brain.

:goodjob:

This has happened to me on several occasions, however, I am still unsure as to how long they must be in the jungle to die from disease. But I think it is over 15 turns, if I remember correctly what happened to me. But don't quote me on that number. ;)

It doesn't appear that there's any minimum number judging from Brain's test. Like the disease caused by Flood Plains, it's random, and apparently a very small chance of occuring on each turn.

Top Bottom