Death of a hero...

Walter R

Great Engineer
I was gifted a cavalry unit so I thought I'd use it to explore an uncharted continent. I saw a barb archer sat on some ruins, so predictably I went and killed him.
Ho hum. The ruins told me about the four nearby barb camps and my unit was immediately surrounded. For the next few turns he did his best to fight through them, but there were just too many and more kept appearing. I had no support units anywhere near. Eventually he succumbed, but "he sure took a few with him"! 'The green berets' sprung to mind more than the little Bighorn.
Anyway, I'm back now with some real fire power (and a settler), to kick some barb ass!

Any good tales of heroic last stands?

He died heroically!

My stories usually persist of an injured scout playing 'hide and seek' with barbs, trying to find his way home...

He survived!

:wow: How?

Anyway, I have a story that involves barbs, except that it was on Civ4, and it involved a city. I was playing as Korea on a terra map, and sent a settler to found a colony in the new world. It got overran by barbs pretty quickly.

Decades later, I founded another colony at the very southern tip of the new world. The barbs swarmed that one, too, giving me a very tough fight. But I started airlifting more units from the homeland, and started repelling them. The tide turned, and I started taking barbarian cities one by one in the new world, continuing ever north. I eventually came to my colony that had been taken by barbs years ago. Upon liberating it, I found that a small percentage of the population was still Korean, after all those years. :D

I continued fighting barbs until I owned probably the vast majority of the new world, the biggest colonial empire I've ever had more than likely.

Probably was able to one-shot the archer. Swords may be on a terrible place on the tech tree, but they are quite a step up over regular warriors.

I had a friggin Gatling gun with range and logistics promotion but the unit didn't make it since there were units surrounding it with musketmen and impies. There was jungle around so it was difficult to get the other units to shoot the enemy.

I had a scout who survived a long time thanks to a couple of upgrades from ruins. He eventually became the most experienced, highly promoted Gatling gun I ever had, considering he participated in many wars and barb clearings not to mentioned my most famed explorer unit. I was Polynesia btw. He finally succumbed to a German submarine attack while embarked on its way to the front. I think that was the saddest I have ever felt for a lost unit.

Top Bottom