Death of the 2D Strategy Game?

tristangreer

Warlord
Do you guys think that CivIV has ushered in the death of 2D strategy games?

Did you ever play Civ2, years and years ago? You do know it had a 3D interface, right? Just cuz it didn't use 3D polygons and elements, they still used that zaxxon-style 3D "look".. Which I was never a big fan of. I like Civ4's straight-on look better.

Civ is a perfect game for the full 3D treatment. Not every single strategy game ever made from this day until the end of this universe needs to be a 3D game, nor do I think they will be. As long as there is a technical need and it looks right, 2D games will always have a place.

Actually, given the low framerate, it's usually a momnumental waste of time zooming in, so once the ovelty of zooming in to admire your cities wears off, most people will probably end up playing 90% of the game in the zoomed-out overhead mode, which is effectively 2D. If there's a civ5, they'll probably realize that nobody used the 3D mode in civ4 and just go back to full civ1-style 2D.

As for other games, can you really imagine Hearts of Iron 2 being improved by adding 3D? Some games just don't need it.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the 3D eye candy. This may partially be related to the fact that my graphics card doesn't meet the latest standards. The [c3c] animations worked for me.

I do like some of the [civ4] gameplay improvements, especially wrt production overflow not being wasted, civics choices and the tech tree freedom.

There are various issues with the interface that I'd like to see addressed, but I'll wait for the 1st patch to come out before listing those.

There is no point of wasting time making 2D sprites that look 3D (ala civ3).
you might as well lock the camera in a 3D enviorment.

IMO, 3-D doesn't really do anything for this game, or any turn-based strategy game. Nice, clear 2-D graphics are all they need. I like Civ 4 beacuse I think they made some gameplay enhancements, not for the 3-D. The downside is that system requirements are now much higher, and if you want to play on a laptop it better be a good one.

It depends on the game.

I prefer 2D for isometric RPG's such as Divine Divinity and Ultima VII. I like Civilization IV's 3D a lot, but I am unhappy with the amount of bugs the engine has and the fact that the recommended specs are more like the minimum specs.

Great concept, poor implementation.

Dogzilla said:
Nice, clear 2-D graphics are all they need.
FYI 2D is harder to do.

I don't really care what they use, I just want it to be clear. Civ3's map view is very easy to decipher - I find Civ4's zoomed out view almost impossible to gather information from. I cannot see what kind the units are, and often overlook the enemy - especially if they're in a forest. The resources can also be rather indistinguishable, although turning on resource locator helps.

When zooming in things become clear enough for the most part - and sometimes quite pretty too, the animals are great - but then the strategic view is lost. So I am constantly zooming in and out, trying to find my way around the map.

I posted about this in the mod forum, hoping people are working on some clearer, more symbolic and/or colourful graphics, but haven't received any responses. Maybe I'm the only one having a hard time deciphering the map, but it makes it very hard for me to play Civ4, because I spend so much time trying to see what's actually going on.

3-D adds nothing to Civ 4, I keep the camera fixed in one position and try to get it to desist from pointless zooming in and out. A 2-D interface would do just as well and probably be less of a resource hog.

I vaguely recall reading that whichever publisher Firaxis had at the time they began developing Civ 4 refused to market any games that weren't 3D, and that's why Civ 4 ended up 3D. If many publishers take that line then the 2D strategy game could well be dead.

Honestly, for a game like Civilization, Im not sure 3d was the way to go. Many players of strategy games have poor computers and we already have many players unable to play big maps, or uable to play at all with any kind of adequate performance.

Yes, the game looks nice, but I rarely zoom in and keep it at one perspective the whole time. Gameplay over graphics is the way to go, and I think anyone who thinks otherwise probably isnt interested in this genre.

All in all, yes there will be a decrease in 2D games of course, especially as 3D hardware becomes better and better. But I dont think they will go away just yet.

tristangreer said:

Yes. And LET IT DIE! 2D is so 1990's, get with the times, it's 2005. Old is gone, new is here.

And what's with all this labeling, come on.. I'm s strategy gamer so i have to like 2D? People aren't cookie cutters, nor tin cans to be labeled. why can't someone like strategy games in 3D without someone saying OMG OMG he likes 3D he must be FPS gamer!! EWWW!!! YUCK!!!

Sheesh, some people are so scared of change.

tristangreer said:
No. Decidedly not. 2D strategy games were dead long before Civ4 was released. It's a matter of economics. Computer hardware is too cheap to waste time fiddling about in TWO dimensions... :rolleyes:

What is there an echo in here?

Hex games wouldnt work well with it.

Could you do this 3d?

OR:

Take a look at 3d chess.

Their is a reason it hasnt realy cought on. At least I kinow one thing Deep Blue Would rather be cought peaking at laptops motherboards then be cought playing this.

PS
NVIDIA SUCKS

Re: Hexing in 3d ... Yes, yes you could.

3d Chess "really hasn't caught on"? CHESS IS THREE-DIMENSIONAL. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom