'Deathmatch Island' - a victory but no win?

frunobulax

High Sheriff of Catford
Can anyone explain this:
I've been playing a Civ3 game since Friday night and by this evening (Sunday) I'd destroyed all the AI civs but still Civ3 would not declare me victorious... :confused:

Mac mod:
The version of Civ3 I'm playing - 129b2 - is a modded version of my own, with about 25 extra units, many new wonders (Gutenberg Bible, Temple of Zeus, Chartres Cathedral, Goldmine, Slave Plantation etc), lots of extra resources (cotton, silver, tobacco etc) and a couple of extra techs (Alchemy and Modernism).

Some background:
I'm playing as the Aztecs on a standard size map, Regent level, 'large island' geography (normal climate), no respawning civs, roaming barbarians, accelerated production (hey, I'm back at work on Monday & need to get this all wrapped-up over a weekend!), and with victory conditions set for diplomatic, cultural and conquest only.

The reason I'm playing as the Aztecs is that after nearly 2 years of Civ3 I realised I had only ever had cultural, diplomatic or spaceship victories. I decided it was high time I kicked some butt - but what I didn't expect was such a great start!

The Great Start:
Within about 30 turns it became apparent that 5 of the other 7 AI civs were sharing the same island as me :) Three of them were within 8-12 sqaures of my capital. It seemed odd that they were all bunched-up so close to me and very ripe for the picking :)

[As it transpired later, there were 5 or 6 other islands completely unihabited, and it seemed even odder that the AI had put 6 of the 8 contenders (incl. me) on one 'deathmatch' island... but I wasn't complaining!]

"Heh heh" I thought, time to get busy! So, with just one city pumping out Jaguar Warriors, I managed to dispatch the Germans, Russians, Americans, French and the Iroquois by about 1800BC with 20 Jaguar Wariors. They had just one capital city each, so it was easy-peasy lemon-squeezy :king:

Seek and destroy:
I now concentrated on building up my cities, with about 15 on the main island, plus another 10 or so colonies on nearby islands. I sent out galleys to seek for the other 2 remaining civs but it wasn't until I'd got to medieval times that I finally managed to find a route across the oceans - 'ocean-hopping' across some conveniently placed 'sea' squares (now that I had The Great Lighthouse wonder) - to the far north of the planet, after finding more uninhabited islands along the way.

I made contact with the Chinese and the Indians and saw that they were way way behind on the tech. levels - they hadn't even discovered Map Making. So, in order to make sure they didn't start colonizing all these uninhabited islands, I set a 'watch' of galleys all around their coastline to pick-off any of their ships, should they start colonizing. I also made sure not to trade maps,as well as techs.

Meanwhile, I started pumping-out knights and musketmen, sending them away north in fleets of galleys and caravels, and slowly built-up a large task force on a small island just south of the Chinese. Finally, I struck hard and wiped-out the Chinese very quickly, gaining 2 leaders into the bargain. Then I turned my attention to the Indians, who were weakest of all, and my Elite Knights soon had them running for the hills, after using my usual tactic of isolating and destroying road access to the oppositions own resources (iron/horses, plus luxuries) with some carefully placed Explorer units landed from galleons/galleys, later backed-up with knights to defend them.

I finally had Delhi surrounded by about 1455AD...

and easily captured the last remaining city !

The Big Disappointment:
So, what went wrong? The game continued on, I was the only nation left on the planet...

...but Civ3 just refused to declare me the winner, despite evidence to the contrary...

...so I decided to resign...

... but I was DEFINITELY the only one left standing....

Any ideas? Would it have anything to do with my Mac mod - it is the first time I've played a full game using it (after many test games to check there were no PediaIcons crashes etc)

frunobulax

P.S. I went back and reloaded the game and checked the few uninhabited islands and there's no one about, just us Aztecs... :(

Top Bottom