1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Debate & Discussion #1 - invading GCA

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

OK, here is a Debate and Discussion. Here we are discussing the finer points of invading GCA. I would like the military advisor to take control of this thread as soon as he can, but until then, I am asking the following questions:

1) Do you support invading GCA?
    2) How much of GCA will we take?
    3) In which order do you suggest we take cities?
    4) What kind of army would you suggest to take these cities?
    5) Do you support investigating Balance of Power via our embassy?
    6) How long will it take to assemble this plan, with all this timing, building and assembling units, etc?

Next Debate & Discussion will be about our expansion plan.

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

we should use our sword weilding roleplayers ;)

I think we should take all cities up to and including the Balance of Power, and then become a republic and quit while we are not as far behind, so we can focus our northern and west-island expansion.

We should mount a scary offensive that will make them not even try to counter-attack that involves enough pikemen so that our med. inf. don't get picked off by horsemen.

3. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

I'd like to see at least:
    8 Med Inf
    2-4 Horses
    Enough pikes to defend each city w/ two.

If we had this size of a force, I'd feel better about attacking. Of course, Industry comes into play here...

4. Hygro

that means 20 units:

8 med inf
    4 horses,
    8 pikes (2 for the 4 cities we are gonna take)

thats 120, 240, 320...

780 shields :)

5. Gingerbread Man

1) Yes
    2) Up to BoP, maybe furthur.
    3) Take BoP first, then in order of proximity.
    4) 7 MI, 3 pikes.
    5) Yes.
    6) Let me consult my mayan Calender...

6. Hygro

im not kidding when I say this, and I'm not sure how to pull this off but if things look close we should try to play by a guiding astrological something.

7. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Our current standing force consists of two MI's plus a few pikes that we could move. Under GBM's prediction, all we need to do is make five more MI's, but that attack force may well not last to be able to take over BoP. Vander's proposed force would almost certainly carry the day; however by the time we built them GCA may well be almost completely overrun anyway. I think we may want to use GBM's model, but be still constantly producing MI's to join in the battle. If we went for anything larger it would probably take 15-20 turns to build it, and probably even longer; keep in mind that Apolyton is quickly advancing on them and may overrun them by then.

8. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Yes. I support GBM's idea. Capture BoP first to cut reinforcements off from those two cities, then expand inward, and then make peace.

9. Gingerbread Man

We can build more MIs as we march towards BoP. By the time we get there, the war will be almost over, but we will have more than just our initial attack force.

10. Zukatah

Zukatah Deathless One

Can I add workers to build up roads to their cities, especially with these moutains? That would definetely give us an edge.

11. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

We definetly need more than 3 pikes. I would recommend at least 6. And start with 6 MI, then produce more as we go along. As for roads, don't bother with one through the Mountains unless we need it. Just start on the other side of the mountain range.

12. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Hear, Hear! Wise words are spoken!

13. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

Let's not forget to build up some horses. Those guys will be great when we get our UU:satan:

14. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I can tell you right now: IIRC, we only have three MIs under production, the last of which will be done in ten turns. We currently have two active MIs. We'd better switch some pikes over to infs now.

As for an invasionary force, we should use ANYTHING we have to muster in ten turns. At the rate that Apolyton is advancing, if we wait too long, it will appear as if we are doing nothing.

15. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

We will have three additional pikes in four turns. Another one is being built in Kungbiao Haian and will be done in six. A couple more could feasibly be built in other cities by that deadline. I'd say that we can get a force of about 7 or 8 MI's, 3 pikes by that time.

16. Gingerbread Man

we could stretch out our forces a little more, maybe borrowing some pikes from inner cities. That could get us maybe five pikes.

We should also consider whipping some MIs. I think it would be worth it.

17. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I woundn't go for the whipping route. It isn't worth the discontent they breed: We can't afford to spend too much on luxuries.

18. Hygro

Our production is tiny... I think we should build only MI and not pikemen. We can use our extra 4 pikemen already made for defense.

19. Hygro

lets try to avoid autorazing if possible (go for the smallest towns last!)

20. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

After we build a sufficient force, we should have some cities build more units while others build improvements and settlers. We really needed Domestic growth as well as the territory to be gained from GCA.