Debugging

LeBashar

Warlord
Is there a way to have debug informations when the game crash ?

My mod crash (the game simply close and return to windows without any error message) at a precise time because I have save the game and the problem reproduce always at the same turn. But I have no way to know what is the problem. Is there a way to have informations about the problem ?

That wouldn't help, because you then couldn't load your save anymore.

What other modifications are in?
Because such crashes are normally caused by missing/wrong ethnic unit art/wrong ethnic city styles/improvements.
If you did something like that, you should probably go into the worldbuilder in the round before it crashes, check which cities are about to finish a certain unit/building and test this unit/building in the worldbuilder (for the civ of question, not for your own civ).

That's right, I have begun to modifiy my files to test without the superspie dll but it is useless.

I have made many modifications with unit and ethnic style, but it is strange the game crash in post-industrial era, while all my modifications concern previous era and my civ is the most advanded, so, if it's a new build or unit or era-style which cause the crash, it should be my civ which cause it many turn before this one. I have also already test each modification I have made (I have a bad memory of a crash caused by an corrupted icon which caused me many trouble to found :( so now I test all graphics change one by one). I don't found anything with the worldbuilder.

Results of some tests :
- give each civ all tech of the next era (mostly industrial, and modern for the mine) => the game don't crash
- give all industrial tech to civ, one by one => game still crash
- give only my civ all modern tech =>game don't crash

well I finally found that the crash occur when I construct a "brewery" but the problem isn't solve : I have already built many of them in other cities (and AI civ also) and the graph for these are exactly the same than vanilla's stable ? And I have already play many game with this without trouble.
Futhermore, I have another building with exactly same graphism (winery) and this one don't make the game crash.
What the hell is that ?
(I also don't know what is the relation with the modern tech era while this building don't have different graph function of era and is available at ancient era ...?)

Test with art_def of the working winery in the place of the unworking brewery : game still crash

Game crash also if I just clic on the brewery's name in the city screen, to remove it of the construction queue but, only in one city (the capital, if it can be significant). I have another city with the same order of construction, and the building is correctly built without game crash.
And at last, if I launch new order of construct with "crtl+" in the capital, the turn work fine, and in the next I can now remove the "corrupted" building of the construction queue without trouble. Or I can let him be built, it is now possible and the game don't crash...

I have you a clue of what going one ? It seem really weird and incomprehensible for me.

I don't really understand that too :dunno:.

I have made many modifications with unit and ethnic style, but it is strange the game crash in post-industrial era, while all my modifications concern previous era and my civ is the most advanded, so, if it's a new build or unit or era-style which cause the crash, it should be my civ which cause it many turn before this one.

Have really all civs already arrived in at least the industrial era?

It might be that it's really only 1 single entry in the CityLSystem.xml which is incorrect and that this one single city hits that spot. If all other entries are correct, then this would explain why you didn't have a crash before despite having built it.
But well...:dunno:.

Assuming the source code comes with the mod, you can compile your own version of the debug DLL (see my sig for a link to a tutorial if you need any).

I don't be able to do that for now ^^"

It might be that it's really only 1 single entry in the CityLSystem.xml which is incorrect and that this one single city hits that spot.

I have think to that also, but the building don't have special entry in citylsystem : it use the same as the vanilla's stable.

The mysterie remain, but thank you for your help. I will assume this weird thing be the result of many modifications of the game files in the progress of the game. Maybe some modifications, even if they don't make savegame unable to load, can have made corruption somewhere.

I have the same problem (game crash) in other save game and I have finaly understand what is the real cause : it is when the cost of the production (unit or building, no matter what it is) is too small in comparison to the city production.

For exemple : the game crash with the order to build a machinegun, 136 hammer with 276 total hammer production (41 overflow, 36 base prod + 245% bonus). But the game don't crash if I build something can't be done in only one turn.

So this is the reason why in my previous tests, the problem was only in one city, it it the one with the ironwork. And it is also the reason why the problem wasn't link to an error in a unit or building definition.

But the problem remain. Is there somewhere any informations of how the game work with overflow production ? Or if someone know this problem and the way to avoid it. :confused:

ps : there is very huge bonus production multiplicator in my mod because I have replace the strategic ressource need by a bonus production. So if you haven't you could produce everything but very slover in comparison to someone who has bonus. In my exemple with the machinegun, I have : 50+35+15 bonus in the unit (lead, sulphur, steel) and 120 (inronwork+forge) and 25 (nationhood). Maybe it is huge multiplicator which cause the problem ?

Top Bottom