Dec07 GOTM: Winter Wonderland

simonnomis

Warlord
Merry Christmas all.

Here's my thematic 'Winter Wonderland' scenario, played at KING difficulty (so fairly easy for non-experts).

Your name is Santa Claus. And you are the King of the Elves.

Your objective is:

To win the Space Race for the benefit of man-and-elf-kind, and to bring joy and happiness to your people and the world. The sooner, the better.

Conditions:

1) You are not allowed to destroy any of the other races (yourself). Santa and his Elves are not a violent people. Occasional altruistic wars are, of course, a necessary evil.

2) Not that I need to say it but... no cheating.

So go, make merry, and Ho-Ho-Ho!

Sorry about the visibility problems, but Terraform can't seem to fix that. So you can see more land than you should unfortunately.

Attachments

• CIVIL1.MAP
    12.6 KB · Views: 285
  • CIVIL1.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 276
OK. I played it through.

Here's my game:
Spoiler :

So it's less of a surprise to me what the world looks like, but it was fun to uncover some of it anyway.

The Chinese started out with the best position, I think. And so they've done very well. The Roman's were hopelessly stuck on their island.. duh!

Still, the snowflake that Lapland is founded on means that it's possible to generate a ton of trade if you build the land up. Even though my cities were not very productive, they had loads of trade, and thus science research.

So Santa Claus managed to keep his great empire up with the Chinese technologically, and then whizzed ahead to research spaceflight, plastics and robotics.

When I began the space race, there were no other competitors, and there still aren't.

Spaceship landed at Alpha Centauri in 1848AD.

Attachments

• CIVIL2.MAP
    14.8 KB · Views: 274
  • CIVIL2.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 288
  • REPLAY.TXT
    13.7 KB · Views: 224
Is this for Windows or DOS?

@CivGeneral: This is for civ dos.

I'm going to give it a try!

Pikachu said:
Is this the december GOTM?
It could be?
Could be? This was a yes/no question :p
I take your editing of the title for a yes :)

Could you define what you mean with occasional altruistic wars? How agressive are we allowed to be? Are we allowed to capture enemy cities? If so, how many and how often are we allowed to do so? Can we declare war? Can we refuse to negotiate peace? Please specify!

Could be? This was a yes/no question :p
I take your editing of the title for a yes :)

Well... I didn't want to presume.

Could you define what you mean with occasional altruistic wars? How agressive are we allowed to be? Are we allowed to capture enemy cities? If so, how many and how often are we allowed to do so? Can we declare war? Can we refuse to negotiate peace? Please specify!

You can be as aggressive as you want really as there would be no way to tell (but it would be nice to think you might challenge yourselves not to use force very often). The only specific is that you cannot be responsible for taking the last city of an enemy (their complete destruction). And since you often won't know how many cities an enemy has, it would be a good idea to try not taking them.

Wars don't really tie-in with Santa, elves, peace, goodwill, presents, festive-spirit and all that.

Here's my try.
I enjoyed the challenge, and managed to land a spacecraft in 1772 AD.
In the beginning I was struggling a little bit, but after I developed
railroad it was pretty much smooth sailing the rest of the way.

I tried to keep it peaceful but there were a couple of short wars, hard
to avoid really...

Attachments

• CIVIL2.MAP
    15.3 KB · Views: 245
  • CIVIL2.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 223
  • REPLAY.TXT
    15.7 KB · Views: 376
Santa has reached the stars!

The Elve space ship arrived at Alpha Centauri in 1905, just about one decade later than the Chinese expedition.

I didn’t actually win the game, but the rules does not say that the Elves have to be the first civ to reach the stars, so I guess loosing the space race doesn’t matter?

Spoiler :

In the beginning of time Santa sent an expedition out to explore the territories around Lappland. At first it looked like Lappland was located at the horns of a reindeer, and Santa was looking forward to settle the whole animal, but the land turned out to be nothing more than a snow flake. There were not enough resources there to produce enough Christmas presents for all the good children in the world, so Santa sent out several naval expeditions to find more suitable lands. The brave triremes discovered many small snow crystals out there, but not the large landmasses Santa had hoped for. He had to settle with a couple of medium sized islands in addition to the Lappland snowflake. Lack of good soil nearby made the Elve expansion slow, and it was hard to keep up with the rivalling civilizations in the technology race.

The Chinese civilization got especially far ahead of Santa, technology wise. Those Chinese people were not as peaceful as the Elves, and suddenly they invaded Santa’s land. The Chinese had advanced weapons, and the brave Elve defence, consisting of one militia in each city and one chariot in the capital, could not stop them. In 1515 the Elve city of Hamburg fell to the Chinese, and Santa decided to invest heavily in the military. The Chinese were checked for a while, but in 1818 Bonn fell too. After that the Elves slowly regained their territories, but then the space race started.

The Chinese people managed to build their space ship faster than the Elves and launched it in 1884. This made Santa go crazy, and he started to make sinister plans. A small expedition force was sent out to attack the Chinese capital, and with them they carried a nuclear warhead. Unfortunately for Santa, Peking was not located as close to Lappland as Santa had expected, so the attack could not stop the Chinese spaceship from landing safely at Alpha Centauri.

The Elve space ship was on its way to the stars by now, and while waiting for it’s arrival, Santa decided to have some fun. Santa nuked Peking in 1897 and captured it later the same year. The Chinese civilization split into one Greek and one Chinese fraction, and Santa had a good laugh. Ho, ho, ho!

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP
    15.2 KB · Views: 235
  • CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 231
  • REPLAY.TXT
    17.7 KB · Views: 233
Finished it. I stayed up late the last few nights in order to do so...

For the second game of Civilization, that I've played in a long time, I was very pressed by the challenges herein.

First was the map itself, it took me a while before I realized that it was an entire map of archipelagos. I should have pushed for a more comprehensive direction in maritime technologies, in order to find the other civilizations faster and get some trade caravans to their cities. But by the time I had settled upon a development strategy, I was halfway through the technology tree, and decided just to keep going on without making any further attempts at establishing trade routes, besides the 3 from the "(Santa's) Workshop" city to the Babylonians.

For the longest time, I debated whether to make a serious effort at colonizing off the continent, or just to stay put. I made some half hearted attempts at both, always keeping in mind that I could just dismantle the cities I didn't like, or that would be too difficult to defend or keep linked logistically. I stayed below size 4, till around 1 AD. At which point I decided that I would just go with what I had already established. I still wonder, if I would have simply just crammed my starting continent with 15 cities and switched to a republic a thousand years earlier, if that would have gotten me to space flight sooner (?).

I found the map quite interesting. The creative work was very refreshing for someone like me, who has never seen a "designed" map before. So much so, that I even delayed the launching of the spaceship by 180 years, just so that my cruisers could fully uncover it. Thank you for your work there, simonnomis.

Another thing, is that I was under the assumption that I needed Nuclear Power to make all the spaceship parts. So I researched for an additional 240 years needlessly. Once I realized the error, I switched off research completely, and accumulated some cash while waiting for the cruisers to finish.

The second great challenge was, the limit on any aggression or the limit on my ability to wage any wars, by the game designer. I can proudly say that; I never declared war on any other civilization, nor did I ever attack any of their units once they declared on me (or after they sneak attacked me). All casualties that appear in the F2 screen, are due to defensive actions only. I used diplomats to "Meet With The King" and after giving in to their demands, managed to get peace again - on several occasions. So Santa Clause, and the Elves, most certainly stayed benign and peaceful throughout the entire game.

I launched the spaceship, but it landed between the turn counter. The save file I uploaded contains the spaceship in flight, where if you hit "end of turn" you'll see that it has landed but the game continues. I played for several turns beyond that, hoping that it would click in, but it doesn't. So we'll have to call it a landing in 760 AD. If I were to replay the game, with what I know now, I'm certain that I could knock it down to a landing before 500 AD.

Thank you very much for this game. It really required me to think, and forced some hard decisions in the process. I enjoyed that.

Attachments

• CIVIL1.MAP
    15.3 KB · Views: 233
  • CIVIL1.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 247
after a quiet long period of abstinence im back in the gotm.

im playing the december map and hope to finish it in the next days.

i had some struggles around at home, like getting two children, with studies, work and moving to another city... but i think i can spend some more time in the next month on playing civ.

which leads me to another question. is it possible to get a ranking for past gotm´s?
i was last playing on the second gotm (cant remember which it was) when my hard disk crashed with my game i already spend around 100 hours playing time on. i now maybe got the possibility to restore the data from that hd. i will definitely play it to the end if i can, but raised the question if it still would be counted?

its good to see that there are still people playing civ...!!!:goodjob:

Welcome back akaneda!

We do have a hall of fame thread where the participants in all the GOTMs since December 2005 are ranked. It also includes result services for each individual GOTM. Is this what you asked for? http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=170637

Results posted after the hall of fame thread is updated for that GOTM will not be counted though, so your results from the second GOTM will not be ranked. Sorry! Please post your results from the second GOTM anyway if you finish it. It would be interesting too see how you played that game.

Of course this December 2007 GOTM is still open. I look forward to see your contribution. Good luck :)

having just completed the april Civ II GOTM, i might just give this one a try, haven't played a Civ I game in about 3 years, so have no clue how i'll do (or even if i will finish before the HoF thread is updated :p

when i first started playing civ 1, i took the approach that if the game let me do it within normal gameplay, it must have been intended - as a result, it was second nature to sentry units in cities any time a unit moved into one, whether it was needed or not. I also micromanaged my settlers by constantly checking on their status (and as a result reactivating them pretty often), so that has become second nature to me as well (especially on the ocean). I'm going to try my best not to use these techniques when i play this game (i assume railroading the ocean is legal? - i always associated it with off shore platforms, which wound up being included in civ 2).

Anyway, i hope i don't hit too many unintentional cheats, and it probably would be handy to have a sticky thread stating what is and is not legal in the civ 1 GOTM like in other GOTM forums.

ok my spaceship touched the ground!!

on 20 BC ...

But i got the same problem like Krusader, that it lands between the turns, so there is no replay.txt i can add. but i put the autosaves in the rar to prove my game.

before i started playing i thought about how santa would build a space ship and i m sure he would build it solely by his elves. use cheap third world workers is not so kind, and the elves are even cheaper, they work for a handful cookies a day:)

so i decided never to leave my island (ok i did once to explore if there are any fishs in the sea!). that made the game quiet strange to play cause it became a economical touch like i never played it before, that was a lot of fun! i only build militias in my harbours to defend against enemy ships, there were 2, but never attacked.

besides i had a strange BUG (save is added). from one round to the other i got an enemy city. the screen showed an event like i hab bribed it. i dont know if thats a feature like an random event but i reloaded and played on without that city.

so i hope thats the first place for me :D

:mischief:

Attachments

• AKANEDAS GOTM Dec.rar
    93.8 KB · Views: 221
Anyway, i hope i don't hit too many unintentional cheats, and it probably would be handy to have a sticky thread stating what is and is not legal in the civ 1 GOTM like in other GOTM forums.
We had a discussion about the rules when we started this GOTM forum, but we couldn't agree on anything. Maybe it is time for a new discussion about the rules?

besides i had a strange BUG (save is added). from one round to the other i got an enemy city. the screen showed an event like i hab bribed it. i dont know if thats a feature like an random event but i reloaded and played on without that city.
Citizens of poor underdeveloped cities will admire the culture and prosperity of foreign civilizations, and possibly even want to join such a glorious realm.

This is the cultur flip feature in civ1.

I've run into a little bit of a snag - when i downloaded the v5 patch from 'poly, all of a sudden every time i talk with an enemy civ, all the dialog is completely blank (windows ME, running from command prompt). Its kinda slowed things down. I've been too lazy to see if the v5 patch works on the 286 or whether i should downgrade back to v1. I do know i didn't have any dialog issues with the earlier version. anyway, i figured i could wait and see if anyone had a say on settler/sentry issues before i got back to playing civ1.

Top Bottom