December 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

I just watched the livestream this morning and I don't think I can add much more than has already been said. One thing I haven't really seen any comments on is the Unit List and Search function added to the World Tracker. I don't know about anyone else, but compared to the Unit Tab in Infixo's Better Report Screen, this "new" feature seems woefully inadequate and honestly not particularly useful. :undecide:

That part made no sense whatsoever. The only difference that I could see between that and the existing search function is that it searches specifically for your units, but specifically for your units' NAMES.

So when they attempted to find an archaeologist, they couldn't because the unit isn't named archaeologist (lol). Which means the existing function is superior:

Then they gave Himiko and Maui as examples... but since there's only ever one Himiko or Maui on the map, that makes the new function entirely superfluous :think:

I just watched the livestream this morning and I don't think I can add much more than has already been said. One thing I haven't really seen any comments on is the Unit List and Search function added to the World Tracker. I don't know about anyone else, but compared to the Unit Tab in Infixo's Better Report Screen, this "new" feature seems woefully inadequate and honestly not particularly useful. :undecide:

Yeah for the umpteenth time Firaxis, incorporate the Better Report Screen mod into the main code if Infixo is cool with it!

I agree that the cultural alliance is probably the most important alliance. Depending on your neighbor *cough, Eleanor, cough*, a cultural alliance can make a huge difference. I also really like getting a military alliance with someone like Poundmaker or Dido to help fill in my map. An economic alliance with Mattias can also be fun once it hits max level.

Eleanor will only accept a Cultural Alliance if you give her a bazillon gold.

Having the bugs coming in to a central repository is really important, especially since we're now on so many platforms. That said, don't think for a second that we're not poking around looking for potential problems in need of attention. =)
Thanks for popping in and confirming this, Dennis! :)

this "new" feature seems woefully inadequate and honestly not particularly useful.

I didn't get a good look at it during the stream. Guess we'll see soon. Honestly I'm so used to the old way, I'll probably keep using the old way. I'm like that on a few things that were changed.

Eleanor will only accept a Cultural Alliance if you give her a bazillon gold.

One of the recent patches (sometime this year I think) changed this. Used to be super easy to get a cultural alliance with her, but somewhere they realized what players were doing and nerfed that.

Then at least 30 minutes reading patch notes, which is kind of half the fun of Patch Days :p

Looking forward to the "several AI improvements". :mischief:
When do the patch notes release?

Is that even a word? I mean, I'm no native English speaker, but I somehow think that the verb you'd be looking for is 'to vassalize', that is to make somebody your vassal, while becoming that vassal's suzerain yourself. You don't suzerain somebody, because you yourself are the suzerain, you vassalize them. It's just the old words, coming from French, I suppose, that now sound fancy. Speaking in simpler terms, suzerain is a boss, and vassal is an underling. You boss around somebody put under you. :)

I think this is my typo. I meant "city-state over which you are Suzerain", but that's too long to fit on the card. "Vassal" is not a word that appears often in the game, and might get people speculating on some kind of vassalization game mode. Certainly the Suzerian / Suzerain typo will be fixed, and I will obsessively try to come up with a parsimonious way of saying what the entry means: trade routes sent to an ally OR to a city-state over whom you are the suzerain provide such bonuses.

I think this is my typo. I meant "city-state over which you are Suzerain", but that's too long to fit on the card. "Vassal" is not a word that appears often in the game, and might get people speculating on some kind of vassalization game mode. Certainly the Suzerian / Suzerain typo will be fixed, and I will obsessively try to come up with a parsimonious way of saying what the entry means: trade routes sent to an ally OR to a city-state over whom you are the suzerain provide such bonuses.

The game has used "Tributary" to refer to the City-State side of the Suzerain relationship. Eg, "Bonus Envoy Points for every City-State that is Tributary to your Ally."

I would therefore venture something like: "Your Trade Routes to Allied cities or your City-State tributaries provide..."

I think a lot about how to improve the clarity and consistency of the game's writing, and I've used "Tributary" in many of my mods. I don't think anyone's ever asked me about the term out of confusion, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the explanation, @Andrew Johnson [FXS]!
As for a shorter word, maybe it would be enough just to clarify in the Civilopedia that the city states you're the Suzerain of are also your Allies/Allied City States or Minor Allies, and then you could just use "trade routes sent to an ally OR to an allied city-state provide...". They do act as your allies now, after all, your controlled (yet another short and simple word!) city states declare war and make peace automatically in line with you. "Puppet City State" might also work, if you don't think that this could cause confusion and false expectations of some mechanics being reintroduced from Civ V.

Thine Trading Routes whicheth cometh t'wards City-States whomst thou souzerain power acquired over and those faring t'wards ally...

Thine Trading Routes whicheth cometh t'wards City-States whomst thou souzerain power acquired over and those faring t'wards ally...
Now I want FXS to make it so that the speech and language of the dialogs and all texts would correspond to the times and evolve accordingly, as the world progresses through the eras :)
Something similar like it's done in Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Top Bottom