1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

December Patch & DLC Release - Not Currently Available for Mac

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by CGPanama, Dec 20, 2016.

1. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Both were release a short bit ago. Obviously the patch was not available, but I was disappointed that the DLC was also PC only.

I was able to access the DLC through my PC Steam client, but confirmed that it still does not download on the Mac client.

2. Daniel Araújo

Daniel Araújo Chieftain

Any response for when it will be available for Mac?

3. gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky Chieftain

that is dissapointing given they promised future patches would be uniform

4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I guess it will be here before Christmas and the annual leave for Aspyr. We've seen testing on steam database for the same contents for mac/pc for quite a while.

5. matt91486

matt91486 Chieftain

Hopefully the delay is finalizing the implementation of cross-platform.

6. Premier

Premier Dept of Isthmi & Tombolos

7. georgie

georgie Warlord

8. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

This is probably the last game I'll be getting from Aspyr. At best, they seem to be trying to do too many things at once for a company of their size.

9. Kimurae

Kimurae Chieftain

Do you know when Firaxis gave them the patch code? Its the holiday months, I would be more upset if they forced their developers to work on christmas.

Premier likes this.
  10. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Per their twitter, they only get patch code after it's already done for the PC (https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/811623332307226624) so it's no wonder it's not coming until after the holidays.

Premier likes this.
  11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I can't blame Aspyr in that case. But I was sure I saw lats of mac version of steam database.
    Good thing the new DLC for Age of Empires II was released this week, so the waiting won't be too hard...

Premier likes this.
  12. johnnyfoodstamp

johnnyfoodstamp Chieftain

So sick of getting the shaft. Definitely moving on from Apple computers... Tis a shame. I love them for video/audio editing but I am so sick of getting screwed around. No DLC. No Friday the 13th beta. No Planet Coaster. It took 10+ years but I am finally willing to admit it. Apple sucks.

13. matt91486

matt91486 Chieftain

I mean, Apple is for sure an inferior gaming platform. If gaming is your primary use, you should for sure move on to a PC. I wouldn't even be annoyed at Aspyr, personally, if they didn't keep suggesting that they could make timelines that they clearly cannot make. They are overpromising and underdelivering, when they should be doing the opposite.

oakdragon and Txomin like this.
  14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Macs are great for many things...

Video editing, composing music, photo manipulation, GIS analysis, the ease of typing diacritics and uncommon symbols, that Retina Display and the seamless hardware and software integration with quality hardware and software, ...

What's not to love?

Just not video gaming though. I'll be patient for the Mac port of Planet Coaster, even if it were to come on the year the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup once more. Oh, and I don't play much computer games anymore.

I made my choice knowing fully well ahead of time and I don't regret my decision to switch to a Mac at all.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  15. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

You might try bootcamp rather than purchasing a new computer. Windows 10 is much better than 8 (though still slower than 7) but you'll get the best of both worlds for the price of OS. With Steam we can buy once and play on both platforms. Just a thought.

16. johnnyfoodstamp

johnnyfoodstamp Chieftain

I really like this idea and I've been contemplating getting a copy of Windows 10 for use with bootcamp. Just kind of procrastinating on it I guess. I started playing American Truck Simulator and got a bit distracted to be honest.... haha Waiting for dat Poland DLC on mac.

Oh, I've known Macs were poor for gaming for awhile. I guess I just thought things had changed. I got my first mac in 2002 and back then it was rare to find a game that was for Apple. I played lots of Civ 4 back then. ahhhhhh good times. I just figured with how popular Apple has become recently that they would have caught up in the gaming department but obviously they have not.

As for Planet Coaster it will never get ported to Mac. I say this because I emailed the developer and asked them. I don't remember exactly what was said but I can go find the old email but essentially it has something to do with Mac's lack of DX12 support (I think). They said they currently have no plans for a Mac port. That's what started all of my bootcamp research to begin with. I sent the Planet Coaster people my specs and they said they had good luck internally with similar builds using boot camp.

I don't mean to poo poo Apple because I truly do love the functionality between my phone and computer and it's great for my home business. I just want to game sometimes too! Come on Apple. Get it together. I keep thinking of all the people who are getting a new Macbook Pro this Christmas and how disappointed they will be when the Iris 540 won't play any games properly. Or maybe I'm the only idiot that bought a new Mac to game on... haha

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
  17. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I'm not sure that Macs are bad gaming systems in terms of hardware and software. The problem is that to make good use of the system capabilities, developers have to write code to use the OS features such as Metal, the Mac equivalent of DX11, DX12. That makes it difficult to write fully cross platform game software that can be compiled and tested once. Some developers seem to be better at it than others.

Noble Zarkon and Premier like this.
  18. MilesTEG

MilesTEG Chieftain

Hello,
    Still no news about the patch ?

19. georgie

georgie Warlord

20. gfeier

gfeier King

Latest from Aspyr on Steam:

The update is going through 2K QA approvals right now. With luck, no new issues will be found and we can release the update this week or next.

I should state however, that there are quite a few late game turn based crashes with Civ. Yes, there was one specifically addressed in the winter update, but its not a guarantee yours is that crash. If you hit up our support team at support.aspyr.com, they can take a deeper look and might be able to tell you if your in for a fix.