Deciding on a 3rd policy and VC

Kim Dong Un

The One & Unly
Supporter
A quick rundown of my situation.

Playing China on King/Standard/Communitas (tweaked). I went Tradition into Fealty, as Byz was just north of me. I let her enhance a religion, then eliminated her by taking the holy city and puppeting her two others. Took Dutch capital on my southwestern border, and is my vassal for protection from bordering Maya to south. I'm at turn 200 with a 6 tech lead, huge culture gap, and am snowballing pretty good. Aside from 1 remaining undiscovered civ, I'm in first by 500+ score with a commanding lead. I have 14 wonders (Pyramids, Pisa, Great Wall/Lighthouse, etc.) and victory is essentially in the bag.

Most people wouldn't even finish this game, but I have many options available and am curious to see what works best. I'd like other opinions on what my third policy should be for reference in future games at higher difficulties. I basically can't go wrong, but I want the most right...

Rationalism - The reason why this should probably be my choice is that it's the path of least resistance. I already have a substantial tech lead and could just sit back and cruise, but this is probably the most boring option. The decreased spy effectiveness will come in handy, and observatories would launch my science to the moon considering my abundance of mountains. The real treat though would be from "Enlightenment", as this specifically synergizes with China's WLTED. I didn't necessarily want to go for a SV, but am licking my chops at this.

Industry - This wouldn't really be an option if not for the fact that Byz picked God of Craftsmen. With my conquering of her lands plus the Dutch having a lapis start, I have a ton of quarries (a horsehocky load)! I'm also using ITR primarily because I'm leading in everything, so the 33% increase for ITR would be nice. I'm already doing great with gold and production so this is my last choice, but the quarries are really tempting (also doesn't really play into a specific VC).

Imperialism - This is where I'm really having a tough time choosing due to Imperialism and China working very well for obvious reasons. I didn't initially plan to expand the way I did, and should have probably went Progress. It's a dilemma now though because I already have 2 capitals (10 cities total), with the Mayan's being available at the snap of a finger. The 4 remaining civs across the ocean consist of Denmark, Russia, Assyria, and the mystery civ. This isn't an easy task, but could be done with my tech lead if I really focused on pumping out an advanced/superior military/navy. My Chu-ko-nu are also online and ready to wreak havoc if need be. None of the policies jump out, but I would still get great yields from things like "Exploitation" and the monopoly bonuses. It would leave the door open for further conquests down the road once things get contentious. Taking cities with China = WTLED and is good, but it also means the game drags on longer. Why would I war when I can sit back and cruise considering I'm essentially unassailable (so much fun...)?

I know Immortal+ players would push a domination victory in this example, but what is a realistic scenario for best VC here considering I'm just above average? My culture is insane, but I havn't been focusing tourism to other civs. I do have "Sacred Sites" and great tourism, but I just discovered the other civs and would have to focus cargo ships exclusively for the next 100+ turns. How quick could I realistically get a SV with just sitting back and going full blown science? I see some on here talk about wins in the 275 turn range, but even with my current powerhouse I can't see that happening unless I have a clean unimpeded sweep to domination. Interested to hear what anyone thinks.

With 10+ cities it's gonna be hard to get Tourism the normal way, you get 7%*9=63% reduction in Tourism output so your Tourism from tiles and wonders will be very low. However, you can still win through Culture Victory by picking Imperialism and Autocracy, then pick the Tenet that gain you Tourism to all known Civs by capturing cities. As China I believe your Culture is strong enough to get 2 lv3 tenets in no time, and capturing cities will further increase your Culture.
A Science Victory Via Rationalism and Freedom is also very viable but I think its boring, just clicking next turn until win :lol:.
I dont see any reason to pick Industry in this case.

How did you tweak communitas out of curiosity?
I'm trying out the tweak by JMA2286, which you can grab at the top of page 4 from the thread "[Guide] Map Scripts". It's just a few threads below this one. They use 29% land for realism (down from the default of 40). The tight starts at this setting probably won't be for everyone, but I figure I'd give it a shot.

Sorry, your 10 cities are all of them owned or do you have puppets? Tradition with puppets goes well with imperialism.
Yea, it's currently 8 and 2 puppets. I was initially leaving Byz's two other cities as puppets for low city count and tourism, but after foreseeing how I'm going to expand I should probably just annex them, as they are both well established now with 15+ pop and good tiles. I hadn't planned on taking Amsterdam either at first, but he had declared on me and had Great Lighthouse/Mausoleum so I said thanks. I took Byz's tea, William's lapis, and with my olives it makes for great monopolies. My planned expansion to 2 chunks of land to the north will net me 2 other marble deposits, and with my marble x2 from EIC at Constantinople, I should have 10% culture monopoly bonus as well.

This is also why I contemplated Industry because I honestly do have 15+ quarries and God of Craftsmen. Either way, I'm now looking at probably another six founded cities because the expansion is too good to pass up (especially with China UA). I really didn't plan this with a Tradition start, but things happen...

With 10+ cities it's gonna be hard to get Tourism the normal way, you get 7%*9=63% reduction in Tourism output so your Tourism from tiles and wonders will be very low. However, you can still win through Culture Victory by picking Imperialism and Autocracy, then pick the Tenet that gain you Tourism to all known Civs by capturing cities. As China I believe your Culture is strong enough to get 2 lv3 tenets in no time, and capturing cities will further increase your Culture.
A Science Victory Via Rationalism and Freedom is also very viable but I think its boring, just clicking next turn until win :lol:.
I dont see any reason to pick Industry in this case.
I'm going to go Rationalism and see just how quick I can get a SV because this game is already won, but I've made a save to replay where I will choose Imperialism and have some fun!

Last edited:
Yea, it's currently 8 and 2 puppets. I was initially leaving Byz's two other cities as puppets for low city count and tourism, but after foreseeing how I'm going to expand I should probably just annex them, as they are both well established now with 15+ pop and good tiles. I hadn't planned on taking Amsterdam either at first, but he had declared on me and had Great Lighthouse/Mausoleum so I said thanks. I took Byz's tea, William's lapis, and with my olives it makes for great monopolies. My planned expansion to 2 chunks of land to the north will net me 2 other marble deposits, and with my marble x2 from EIC at Constantinople, I should have 10% culture monopoly bonus as well.

This is also why I contemplated Industry because I honestly do have 15+ quarries and God of Craftsmen. Either way, I'm now looking at probably another six founded cities because the expansion is too good to pass up (especially with China UA). I really didn't plan this with a Tradition start, but things happen...

I'm going to go Rationalism and see just how quick I can get a SV because this game is already won, but I've made a save to replay where I will choose Imperialism and have some fun!
That would be a good idea, but there's a small caveat. The second replay you'll already know most of what's about to happen.
Anyways, share your thoughts after you are done with it.

I think replaying a game can be a really good way to improve. Obviously you have some information from the future (which is cheating), but its still a great way to learn from your mistakes.

Turns out that CV was the real answer here. Turn 313. I chose Order. I was unaware just how much culture/tourism a snowballing Wu could push out, regardless of penalties from my high city count (16). I always assumed that CV was out of reach when you start creeping over 10 cities (especially with Tradition and no Artistry), but if anything, expanding in my case is what sealed the deal. Eliminating Byz and taking her religion in early game was really the catalyst for the CV though. That and my 20+ wonders plus "Sacred Sites"...

Too many things went right for me this game, and China is just a beast in general. Not sure if it would've taken me less than 100 turns to capture 5 other capitals, but it would be fun to try.

Top Bottom