Declaring war on city-state: Surprise or not?

Leyrann

Deity
When I declare a war on a city-state, it's at the same time both a surprise war and not a surprise war.

On one hand, Tomyris dislikes me for declaring a surprise war.
On the other hand, I don't get bonus movement speed when I am playing Persia.

EDIT: I'll just add it right here, I also just saw Lisbon, around turn 40 on normal game speed, get at least two archers in three turns, and I'm pretty sure they got a warrior just some two or three turns earlier too. Some numbers don't quite add up there...
EDIT: 2 turns later, ANOTHER archer.

Last edited:
yeah I'm on turn 1,922 and decided I wanted Stockholm because it had no Suzerain. I decided it would be best to declare war, then wait for the warmonger penalty to go down before taking it. Then I discovered Tomyris gives me an extra -10 for declaring a surprise war, but there's no other way to declare war on city-states! i'm so greedy i should be ashamed i don't need more cities what's wrong with me

in case your wondering, yes i can retain an alliance with everyone with up to a -35 warmonger penalty, i even took cities from Russia and got him to be allies with me again some time after that...the diplomacy is really intricate and I find it very easy to make allies with every single player, usually there's just one guy on the outs with everyone and we usually take him out, in this game it was Brazil, so now its all blue flags under every face bubble

Top Bottom