1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Deconstruction of IGN article

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218810p1.html

Mentions that the bizarre tank seen in the Combustion tech is referred to as a 'land ship'

Religions can be built on terrain, so nearby mountains can be benefited through religion

Religious policy 'Tithing' means all cities of the faith, regardless of civilization, generate gold for you.

Founder belief 'Just War' gives a 20% boost to military units

Civilizations with conflicting policies (I.e. Freedom & Autocracy) will have diplo hit

Spies can steal technologies

Spies can rig elections, which appears to boost your favour in city-states while penalising others

Spies can initiate coups.

Units have a lot more health, meaning "They can't be blasted off in one turn"

WWI-era Bi-Planes and Tri-planes (Undoubtedly the two units on Flight)

Melee naval units, these can capture cities

All embarked units can now defend themselves (Presumably new UA for Songhai now)

Mayan civilization gets Calendar-related Cultural bonuses

New Privateer Unit

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

20% to be precise.

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator

:thumbsup: great, I've updated the overview with some of these info :).

4. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Added, I also added the Privateer which was mentioned

5. forty2j

forty2j Chieftain

This is interesting. I had thought the more health was a solution to the spearman vs. airplane and "minimum 1 damage" problem.

6. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Chieftain

Well hopeully tanks can "blast-off" spearmen in one turn still.

7. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

i wonder if the melee naval unit can clear a barb hut if they can take a city by water. some naval unit should be able to disembark to clear one but not wander around and scout by land.

8. steave435

steave435 Chieftain

Naval units can enter coastal cities, but they can't enter land, so almost certainly no.

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Could be a bit of both. If they've made it a finer grain, then presumably the minimum damage won't be 10.

10. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

im fairly pessimistic about it, but 10 guys on a trireme and you cant send 5 of them on land to pillage and clear a hut? quite irritating really. i think it should only apply to huts within range of an attack and even be a movement cost without actually having an animation of guys pillaging it.

they did say that would drastically change naval combat. as it is people mostly play pangaea so they dont have to specifically tech for sea units. getting to the Ren era for Rationalism and Freedom is the biggest use of that whole line.

and if all embarked units can now defend i wonder if the submarine bug will be fixed or if their utility will be nerfed. i only use them for 1-shot removal of embarked units and passing under ice.

11. NotSure

NotSure Chieftain

I think it addresses both problems too. Another thing that occurred to me (probably was obvious to others) was, if it takes more turns to resolve combat, that obviously benefits the side with more forces. So, those early rushes that we would laugh at and defend with a couple of archers and a warrior, might be more of a threat? Will be interesting to see.

12. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Chieftain

Why would it benefit the side with more forces? It seems to me (purely speculating) that it would benefit the defender. The longer combat lasts, the longer the attackers have to stand in range of the defender's cities.

13. NotSure

NotSure Chieftain

Units last longer, so they can withstand the ranged and melee damage of a smaller defensive force but still have enough HP to deal killing blows to that smaller force. The larger force would also have enough HP left to rotate out (if in really bad shape) or siege a city. Unless I'm missing something longer combat is a problem for a player with very light defenses.

14. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

A word of warning... a lot of the early Civ V previews (IGN's in particular) were WILDLY inaccurate when it came to details.

15. Revoran

Revoran Chieftain

What is this supposed to mean?

16. NotSure

NotSure Chieftain

I noticed I didn't mention one of the reasons I assumed the greater HP scale would benefit superior numbers. I assumed (based on the articles) that units would also inflict a lower percentage of damage. I assumed that promotions and bonuses, such as the new "just war" bonus (which sounds like a great idea) would become overwhelming if the scale remained the same. So, basically, I'm making a lot of assumptions.

When I saw some of the details about the reworked combat system the first thing I thought was how this could impact the AI tendency to try early rushes. Then this brings me back to reality...

Sound advise.:)

17. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

I hope its true that diplomacy will improve

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

'Built' as in 'based on', I would say, rather than literally constructed on that physical location. From the article:
    So like a yield modifier, I guess. For instance, the one in the screenshot it 'Religious Idols- +1 Culture and +1 Faith for each Gold and Silver'. Presumably there's also one that gives + something to mountains, or + something to stone quarries.

19. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Some of the details about the customizability of religion seems to open the doors wide open for a fantasy mod.

Can you say "Dwarves"?

20. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

The bizarre tank looks like a British Mark IV.