1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Decoupling research from production

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hiskias, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Hiskias

Hiskias Chieftain

Hi,

I just got this game, and am bothered by production being way too slow in comparison to tech and civ research. History just zips by and I'm hardly able to build anything or conduct proper campaigns during earlier eras. I thought that slowing the game speed to epic/marathon would improve matters, but instead, if anything, the production speed seems to be even more out of whack.

Is there a way (config? hack? mod?) to set the research speed independently from production? Pretty please with sugar on top? I don't understand why the setting isn't standard in the game. As it is, epic&marathon are a semi-useless half-arsed implementation.

-H

Myomoto likes this.
  2. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

There are mods for things like constant district cost in the stream workshop. I use them

Myomoto, Banazir864 and AntSou like this.
  3. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Why not simply boost your production? Mines, lumbermills, industrial zones, encampments, internal traderoutes, etc. I rarely run into production issues.

nzcamel and Ivan Hunger like this.
  4. arieltal

arieltal Chieftain

there is a mod called longer eras - i think it's exactly what you want

Prester John 2 likes this.
  5. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Actually I usually find myself short of science but rarely short of production. Chopping and harvesting provides so much production.

acluewithout likes this.
  6. newbie2

newbie2 Warlord

It sounds stupidly obvious, but boosting your production is the key. not only here, but actually in most 4X games. I found myself starting to play better in Civ and games like Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 when I focused more on increasing production. Simply because it is the resource that converts the easiest into other resources (like gold, culture, science, etc;..)

As for Civ specificly, it means more mines and lumbermills, and timed chopping.

comatosedragon likes this.
  7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Getting Apprenticeship quickly to get +1:c5production: for your mines can make quite a difference.

8. Hiskias

Hiskias Chieftain

I found a mod here called '8 Ages of Pace'. Although the game says it's out of date, a quick test looks promising. Boosting production would help only partially, since moving the units across the map is still very slow. I'll go this route for now and see how it goes.

It's kind of difficult to find mods here unless the name is correct; there isn't one called 'Longer Eras' when I sorted them alphabetically. At least the one I did find was politely on the top of the listing :)

9. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Link to "longer eras":
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1619615470

The original 8 ages of pace is not updated anymore since 2017 nov, but someone else is updating the original mod:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1667071231

Another mod increasing techs/civics cost like longer eras and 8 ages of pace:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1257647415

And there are still some more mods like these.

10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@Hiskias ”Not being able to produce everything” is one of the fundamentals of Civ6. You have to choose. That’s the whole point of the challenge in (most) strategic games, and in Civ6.
    It is possible to win this on Deity, heck people are winning OCC on Deity. So, production amount vs. research speed is certainly not an issue.
    But you do you, ofc. You want the game to be easier? Lower difficulty, you will get production bonus, exactly what you are asking for.

nzcamel and TheMarshmallowBear like this.
  11. schondette

schondette Chieftain

For me the problem is the tech trees. Playing on standard there is no real parity on how a civ techs. So no strategy. No industrial rush for red coats for Victoria. By time you squeeze one out the AI is already on Infantry. Slower speeds are too broken to fix it and I wish it was fixed instead of using mods.

12. Hiskias

Hiskias Chieftain

Unfortunately(?) I got the game thru EpicGames, so Steam "subscribed" mods are out of question.
    Unless there's some other way of getting them from there than "adding them to my subscriptions".
    Other than that, I appreciate direct links to the mods, though.

13. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Apparently there is a method, I googled and found it explained here:
    https://gamerant.com/civilization-6-mods-epic-games-store-civ-egs-install-how/

Though I should say I never used it myself.

14. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

You're a witch.

tedhebert likes this.
  15. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

Yes. The arcane magic of lumber mills and mines.

tedhebert likes this.
  16. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

Keep in mind your cities should be larger and work more productive tiles as the game progress. More tiles because food and housing is more accessible and more productive tiles as mines and lumbermills increase in productivity.

Farms only give +1 food in early game and up to +7 in the late game. Mines give +1 production and increase to +4 as the game progress and lumbermills start as +2 and increase to +4.

You also have harvest/chop which increase with technology/civic progress.

acluewithout likes this.
  17. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I would add that it's the magic that is available when you HAVEN'T harvested everything

18. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

You can plant new forest later in the game.

Myomoto likes this.
  19. walkerjks

walkerjks Prince

I rarely run into production problems because I don't build much. Decide what is really critical and what is not for your victory style. For my own cultural wins, I usually average around 2 districts per city, even though they are big enough to hold 1 to 3 more districts. It means I sacrifice all religion and have very few trade routes, but it works, and building those slows things down anyway. I get the impression that serious warmongers don't really build many buildings either. Science victories tend to require highly focused production, which can come from building out a couple cities and using lots of chopping. Overall point is, you probably don't need to build much of the stuff you want to build.

And there's always chopping and buying to get things that you really need.

If you are looking for things to eliminate, start with religion. It's liberating (unless you play long games on smaller maps - then the risk of the AI sneaking in a religious victory is real or are going for a religious victory or are doing something like work ethic with adjacency bonuses to drive production). Wonders are another place to look. There may be some useful ones for your style (there are 0 for how I play, though I might situationally build some), but again, they tend to slow things down.

20. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

Spoiler :

upload_2020-7-12_13-46-2.png

Holy Sites combining with Desert Folklore (desert adjacency), Work Ethics (turns adjacency bonus to production), Eye of the Sahara, and Scripture (+100% adjacency).

It's an extreme case but production potential is everywhere. You just need to make use of terrains, and opportunities.

An easier and more nuanced but still productive version would be river Holy Site, River Goddess (+2 amenity +2 housing) and Scripture.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020