Deep Questions of Erebus

cyther

Lord of the Dance
Erebus, what exactly is it?

The world is a plane. Is there a drop off into ether or do the people if they live there see large mountains or a huge waterfall. Is there a visible barrier or some force that keeps people away or even not at all so they walk out into the ether

Is it the only creation that still exists or are there worlds parrallel to each gods vault?

Thanks,
cyther

Or erebus is just to big to be explored via the meager transports of the age. Like Europe and the world being a flat square because there was nothing but ocean to one side, and mountains to the other.

I'm pretty sure that Kael mentioned that Erebus was never meant to be the entire world, just a part of the flat world. And I think that there were, at least at some point, other worlds. Mulcarn took the Ice Giants from his plane of winter, so... plus Nix, what that is. I'd imagine that there are other's as well

Erebus in the campaigns was the Vault of Oghma. It was being invaded by Mammon, so Oghma swept a Mist over the world which would cause any creature entering it to lose all memory. All the creatures in the Vault moved up onto the tips of the peaks in the world to live above the mist and used special ships to travel along it.

It was just one of many realms for the Players' campaign. But is most certainly not the same Erebus as FfH is now set in (notable lack of XP draining Mist and whatnot).

In FfH there is one world/vault/heaven/hell for each of the gods except Nemed and Erebus. This is different than in the D&D games as Xienwolf mentioned.

But didn't all gods/angels make their own vault/heaven first and then they combined their efforts into making creation, and when the one god saw that it was good he withdrew their powers to create. But Agares had stacked away enough mana (or whatever mana is made of) to keep creating for essentially eternity, which is the source of the mana in Erebus (right?).

Agares kept creating in his heaven and eventually it became the most beautiful of all heavens. But then he destroyed it all, and his heaven became the darkest and hopeless hell. This is probably the peak of his fall and his transformation from the angel of hope to the angel of despair was now complete.

Ok, that went further than I intended. Correct me if I am wrong.

...The world is a plane. Is there a drop off into ether or do the people if they live there see large mountains or a huge waterfall. Is there a visible barrier or some force that keeps people away or even not at all so they walk out into the ether...
(Caution: Rum was involved in the writing of this post.)

When contemplating the shape of Erebus, I usually imagine it as being shaped like the Discworld, to match the ability to go 'round the world with the fact that the world is flat. Discworld, as you guessed, is shaped like a disc. So that "North" is actually Hubward (to the center) and "South" is Rimward, or towards the outside. Both sides are of course, arctic, ingame, and the frozen edges keep boats from meandering off into the abyss... both in game and in lore. I simply ignore what happens when you zoom out too far...

depends on what side of the disc you are. In discworld, the sun follows a path from one side of the disc to the other, but (as far as i know) it always rises and sets in the same place. Those places would be tropical, but 90 degrees further along the edge of the disc, it's arctic again (just like at the hub). By the way, the circum-fence doesn't go ALL the way around, just a large part, right?

Haven't read all of the books yet, so I had to cheat and Wiki it. According to that the entire rim is tropical and the sun orbits along the rim mostly (thus never gets close to the Hub, hence the Ice there). And the Circumfence covers 1/3 of the perimeter.

As far as I know, apart from the Circumfence, which, as I understand, is some kind of state-run salvage operation, there is nothing to stop you from dropping off the edge of the Disc.

I just hope the One didn't forget the four elephants and the giant turtle when mapping out Erebus. Those are what really makes the world go 'round.
;)

Top Bottom