1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deep Space Nine Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Aug 26, 2008.

1. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Here's the Deep Space Nine scenario (beta) for the mod available for download.

Download here.

Here's the planned changes from this version to the release version:
    Spoiler :
    -Add in ship names
    -Change Nova to Excelsior
    -Add Nebula (like Galaxy, costs more, starts with Sentry)
    -Add Akira (like Galaxy, costs more, starts with combat 1)
    -Add Miranda (cheap, low stats)
    -Add Valdore (?)
    -Add Romulan ship spawn when Romulans DOW on Dominion
    -Add K'Tinga (cheap, low stats, have some appear with Klingon ship spawn(?))
    -Make Unknown ship cost more (lower stats?)
    -Add Breen ship spawn on DOW (?)

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Played this through for about 40+ turns, during which nothing really happened except the succesful accession of Kai Winn as Bajoran leader (the only event I noticed).

3. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Keep going, you'll see an event soon. I've put the list of events and the conditions to occur in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
    Turn 27: Winn becomes Kai
    Turn 47: The Maquis Rebellion begins
    Turn 52: Defiant arrives and is buildable, Dominion contact with Alpha Quadrant
    Turn 64: Intrepid is buildable
    Turn 72: Founder Homeworld destroyed, Cardassia can't build spies
    Turn 79: Klingons declare war on Cardassians, spawn of Klingon fleet
    Turn 83: Klingons make peace with Cardassians
    Turn 101: Eddingtom becomes leader of Maquis
    Turn 120: Martok becomes leader of the Klingons
    Turn 125: Maquis rebellion crushed
    Turn 130: Start of Dominion War
    Turn 137: Damar becomes leader of Cardassia
    Turn 142: Federation can build Prometheus
    Turn 149: Romulans enter war, Federation can build spies
    Turn 175: Breen enter war, spawn of Cardassian ships controlled by Federation (Cardassian Resistance), Broca becomes Cardassian leader
    Turn 178: Thot Pran becomes leader of the Breen

Turns 120, 123, 126, and 129: spawn of Dominion fleet in Alpha Quadrant

If Cardassia is captured and after turn 177: Cardassia switches sides in war

If Bajor has at least 5 cities and after turn 182: Bajor enters war on side of Federation

If allies (Federation/Klingons/Romulans) have at least 10 cities total on turn 180: Founder Cure event (no text or anything else; just an under-the-hood variable change)

If allies have 3 or less cities and after turn 182: Surrender of the Federation

If Cardassia is captured and Founder Cure event has occurred: Surrender of the Dominion

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

OK, I'll pretend I didn't see that.

But what I meant was literally nothing happened (and I do realize it's a Beta): Science can be set at 0% (as it's absent as far as I can tell), which, playing as the UFP left me with 50% Espionage and a huge income. As I started building as much spacecraft as I could (seeing as plenty of Star Systems have no ships at all, especially on the borders), expecting war to break out at any moment (as the intro menacingly announces) at some point I noticed Construction Ships calmly sailing towards some resources right in the middle of Federation territory...

Well, when I finally managed to defend all UFP systems with at least one unit and built some border Starbases, I realized that, well, nothing happened... so I quit playing. (Sorry...)

Shouldn't there be some fleets active? The UFP starts with closed borders with the CU, but at some point I thought, what the heck, let's sign an Open Borders treaty and they agreed. (Small wonder if the Cardies also don't have an active fleet.)

(I apologize if I sound overly critical but I was a bit disappointed; I mean gameplay is rather dull, as is.)

5. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Those early turns are a build-up time. Unfortunately, this scenario is VERY tough to balance properly - how do I make the map even remotely close to canon and have it possible to win as any player?

War/peace is completely scripted. Even as the UFP you need to expand as some systems will flip to the Maquis when they spawn. With a large enough fleet you may even be able to take the systems back. I could remove many of the systems the UFP starts with.

I tried to give the Cardassians some ships, but I'm not sure how many is too many. The Klingons have a hard enough time taking any territory in the 5 turns of war at the beginning of season 4 as it is (I had to make the Klingon fleet spawn right on top of a system and triple its size to make them even notice the Cardassians).

As a minor civ, the Tzenkethi start at war with everyone. If you're bored you could just harass them if you want.

Unfortunately the AI just can't handle the scenario properly so compromises have to be made. I'll remove some UFP cities and the trade routes from the standard tech. It should help a little but a total fix involves a new map, moving the Final Frontier code the to SDK (for less time between turns), and a new AI.

The Klingons/Romulans have a harder time, starting with one city and few ships. I've also given the Dominion some stuff to do in the Gamma Quadrant before the war starts (there's a few barb systems for them to take over).

I made the events correspond the the time they happened in the series. The calendar is based on the episodes (I reworked the weeks calendar).

6. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I'll give it another go with a more challenging civ (only tried out the UFP so far).

About the Tzenkethi: their ships are called "Unknown Ship"; why not call it Tzenkethi Vessel or something (for comparison, the Bajorans have a "Bajoran ... Ship")?

7. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Good idea. That would also allow me to keep the Tzenkethi at the same strength while making it harder for the barbs to harass the Dominion like they do now (they're supposed to give the Dominion something to do, not pose a genuine threat like they do now).

EDIT: I also just got the idea to give the Dominion a UU (Changeling Infiltrator - replaces Spy) that would have a "send to Alpha Quadrant" mission in seasons 3-5. The AI would be oblivious, but it would give human Dominion players something to do after they take care of the barbs.

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I like your Changeling idea.

Started a new game as the Romulans, which looks like a tougher job. After buying maps from Bajor, Ferengi, Klingons and UFP I colonized the 2 nearest systems and started building. Well, the first 40 turns were kind of uneventful, except the Dominion capturing a barbarian system.

At turn 47 things livelied up a bit with the spawning of the Macquis (got their map as well) and at turn 50 I made contact with the Dominion. With Espionage at 50 (later 60, 70) % my map view increased over time without actually exploring the map.

Turn 61: UFP takes Temecklia from the Tzenkethi (who are giving me a hard time competing for empty systems).

Turn 72: the combined Tal Shiar-Obsidian Order attack on the Founders (pop up reads: "...The Obidian is crippled."), removing the Founder Homeworld colony.

Turn 79: "The Klingons believe the the recent ... was changed [by] Changeling infiltrators." Klingons take Celtris.

I gradually expanded to 8 systems total, but with my Warbirds couldn't really attack any systems and at turn 100/101 got a CTD. After reloading it seemed alright until a second CTD at turn 110/111. Couldn't say what caused it as nothing extraordinary seemed to happen. Otherwise events so far seem to work fine.

Comment

- Barracks don't seem to work (promotionwise)
    - also, there are a lot of redundant buildings (Science/economic), resulting from the no research setting (which allows all tax spent on Espionage with still pretty good income)
    - some more Resources/Terrain features would be nice
    - perhaps reduce UFP-controlled systems a bit (they were in the lead from turn 1, never changed)
    - all ship strengths are reduced, but Missiles are strength 15 (and Tzenketh only?)
    - perhaps a second Romulan ship design (I really miss the D'deridex)
    - a certain amount of preplaced Starbases might be appropriate (I built them at every system, but the AI just goes for Resources and empty systems, after which the Construction Ships remain idle)

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Tried a game as the Klingons, but got a CTD before turn 25, then another after turn 26.

Tried another game as the Dominion, but got a CTD on turn 26 and 27.

Tried another game as Cardassia, but when I tried saving on turn 26 the game just froze up...

My guess is the Kai Winn event is causing problems for certain civs (as nothing else was happening really).

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

It's getting weirder: tried another game as the UFP, but got a CTD on turn 32... whereas in my previous UFP game I got past turn 40 with no problems.* (Have a savegame if you need it.) Once again, there didn't seem to be happening anything extraordinary that turn.

Also a maybe superfluous suggestion: the Great Link as a (National) Wonder for the Dominion, reducing/eliminating unhappiness.

*Will try and continue that to see what happens.

11. deanej

deanej Chieftain

As far as I can tell, the CTDs seem to be caused by system resources. This scenario uses a huge map with a lot of python.

I'm not sure, but I think I increased the happieness from the standard tech.

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That can't be it: I always play on Huge maps, as they're my favourite, and can't remember any CTDs because of it. (Only advanced GEM games cause trouble, but because of lag times mostly.) Did you run the scenario through AI Autoplay?

Yeah, I thought the Great Link might be superfluous (also, it need be on the New Founder Homeworld, considering the event). Just thought it a fun thing to add (not necessarily to this scenario).

13. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Some good news then: I succesfully continued my original UFP game and am now smack in the middle of the Macquis Rebellion. (I started building Starbases at all outer colonies early and they're still there.);)

Attached Files:

14. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well, we can forget the "Send to Alpha Quadrant" mission, as I can't figure out how the Gods of Old code for the Great Prophets actually works. No idea why many buildings don't work (you don't get the experience from the Shipyard, either).

Your starbases might not be there when you end the turn and the Maquis get culture in those cities. For some reason assigning a city to a dead civ causes it to have no culture until the turn is ended.

I can't use AI autoplay on this as the game default method kill off the human's civ instead of turning it over to the AI, ruining any data I could get from it, and I never merged in the Revolution mod, and I won't because when I merged it in with the early Warlords version it caused a very serious bug that persisted even after it was removed. In either case, the python exceptions are just too great.

15. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That's a pity...

About the Starbases: they just stay there. I'm now at turn 79 (Klingons declare war on CU) and they're still around. Although it might be good to preplace a number of bases (besides DS9) and maybe disable further Starbase building (if that's possible).

About the buildings: it seems to be a temporary thing, as everything appears OK now.

On a sidenote: I tried attacking a Macquis base and got totally wiped out (lost 6/7 units, reducing the Rebel base only to strength 25 - with prior Starbase bombardment). So I focused on replacing the 4 lost colonies with newly founded ones. After the Cardies took Tzenkethi, I followed suit and captured Temecklia with 4 Defiants vs. 3 defenders.:D The Romulans don't seem to do much, though...

Is it necessary for the scenario that the Macquis bases have strength 30, i.e. 3 times the Starbase value? (I'm asking because, although they are in the score list, it's impossible to make peace or even talk to them and attacking doesn't seem to be an option.) And the Macquis aren't a dead civ, are they? They're very much in the way... although I can kill off the occasional rebel fly-by.

16. deanej

deanej Chieftain

They're encoded into the scenario file and are there from the start - dead until the cities flip to them. I didn't want the systems to be easily recapturable. The rebel base represents ground forces, unfortunately I know of no way to make it defend last.

Spoiler :
    Any of those four systems that are in Maquis control when the Dominion wipes out the Maquis will flip to the Dominion.

17. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Never mind the Rebels (I checked the events spoiler...). Can't wait for this to get out of Beta! ;)

18. deanej

deanej Chieftain

The patched version will be in 1.0. Here's the full changelog for DS9:
    -Changed Nova to Excelsior
    -Standard tech: 5 health/happiness, no trade routes
    -Added more units
    -Standard ship: cost 200, 2 strength
    -Tweaked tech power/score values
    -Tweaked asset/power values for units
    -Added in unit names
    -UFP starts with less cities, less powerful units
    -Romulans and Breen now get units when entering the war
    -Text fixes
    -Missile strength 5, can't be built in systems
    -Removed science buildings and bank

Construction ships will also be impossible for the barbs to build; I didn't include that in the DS9 changelog because that change is for the who mod (It's the cause of the python exceptions that occur every turn in DS9 and in the main mod towards the end of the game).

19. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

OK.:goodjob:

Although actually I don't think Missile strength actually matters: if a Cardie fleet of 6 ships can take Tzenkethi, the AI will have let the Missiles unused.

And I found I'm still building Science buildings (to generate extra Culture) and the occasional Bank.

20. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I've progressed to turn 89 in my CTD-free game as the UFP. Been building like crazy, but am starting to run out of buildings in the bigger systems. While this is leading to a considerable fleet buildup, I wouldn't recommended removing any buildings from the scenario; the fleets might get unmanagable, especially with the locked Peace situation (the AI tends to move units that are on the map, even if they don't have much to do).