1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Default leader names, or your own?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SuperBeaverInc., Feb 18, 2006.

1. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

When you play a game, do you name your character the default name(e.g. Roosevelt, Mansa Musa, etc.) or use your own name(e.g. SuBI)

I use the defaults.

2. RandomInsanity

RandomInsanity Warlord

i put my own name

3. katank

katank Prince

Neither. I use something related to start and the strategy I'm pursuing. Thus, it might be Iceball Warmonger or something similar.

4. bobtheflob

bobtheflob Chieftain

I use the default name mostly out of laziness. I see no reason to change it.

5. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

My own, always my own. I wount let any body else take credit for my leadership!

6. thordk

thordk Prince

i'd love an option to get the leader's name as default. so not all of my savegames would start the same ;)

7. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

I make up my own name such as Mr. Green Jeans for the Farmer civ; Hezekiah for the Israelites; and The Black Prince for the English. But, why can't the Russians have a real opponent like Ivan the Terrible or Stalin that one can enjoy stompppping? Who wants to beat up on an anorexic babe that looks about as Russian as Coffee Annon. And Peter the Great? I think the developers got Peter's valet by mistake. I mean the dude was huge!!! Talk about revisionist history. Firaxis history is more suspect than that of the USSR.

8. synthboy

synthboy Prince

Always my own name although I never change anything else (Civ name etc) as I can never think of anything witty enough.

9. Bushface

Bushface Deity

I use names which I can easily associate with the default ones, such as Hans for Bismarck or Frederick (haven't had success playing as either), Randhi for guess-who, and for some reason Aggie for Elizabeth or Victoria. I also try to label saves at critical junctures, from which points I can reload and try different strategies in my efforts to finish earlier and earlier. Saves after such reloads get labelled a, b, c and so on; sometimes I have had as many as six branches from the same start. Some work, some don't, and such is life.
    If I ever play as Huayna Capac I shall call myself "Lid", which is a bit obscure unless you know that the Romanian for lid is capac. Isn't trivial knowledge marvellous ?

10. A Silly Goose

A Silly Goose Goose of Silliness

I usually go by the default name and cities, unless I end up as a chick or Montezuma (I like to be able to actually read the names of my cities :p ); when that happens, I use my own name, name the civ and the first few cities after myself, and the rest of my cities get named after relatives. If I run out of relatives that I can remember, I usually then move on to names of places my relatives and myself have lived.

11. kiltboywonder

kiltboywonder Chieftain

i try to build myself up and give myself one of those "profound" leader names like Tim the Magnificent.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i always choose my name, online name that is. :) i wish i could further customize the leaders like picking the leaderhead and the atributes they have so it would completely be mine.

13. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

You can change the default name in the config file. That is what I do. I normally leave the other name setting default but I have done a few games subbing in Australia and Australian cities.

14. Tharak

Tharak Chieftain

I play random civs so I don't have a choice - since the name always comes up as "Default", I put in my own - i never know what civ I'm going to be...mind you now that I write this, I was worried that my name would actually have been "default"but it might have defaulteed to the actual leader that was choses...anyone know?

15. salty

salty Prince

Always choose a name that reflects your starting location, e.g. "Two Cows and a :banana:"

16. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

I usually use the name "Emperor Davidus", because Davidus is the Latin form for David, my real name. I leave the city and civ names alone out of sheer laziness.

17. crocodiledundee

crocodiledundee Chieftain

Personally I'm a sucker for stereotypes. Some memorable ones include Uncle Sam, Colonel Sanders, Saddam Hussein, Emperor Kawasaki, Chief Runs with Premise (cf. South Park), Jeeves and Lord Thisslewick

18. Junichiro

Junichiro Warlord

Couple of times I have gone with either my own name or default name of the leader but most of the time I pick something connected to the nation I am playing...like this nickname I am using here came from Japan game I was just playing when I signed in here...

19. 5cats

5cats Warlord

I changed it to my own name in the default, so now I'm David every time :)
    And I just have 5 save games that I re-use. 4000BC, Early Save, Later & etc.
    If a game is especially interesting, I'll save it as "Egypt Good Start" or something.
    I'd like to change the default names for all my cities to towns in Manitoba, Like I did in SMAC!