Defeat Imminent

I haven't played Civilization that much. I was playing Civ 5 and recently started playing Civ 6. I like the new version for the most part but the newer version seems more difficult to win. In the previous version I remember the game warning me that I was about to win or lose. Is there some way to make Civ 6 do that?
I just played a game as Montezuma and I conquered India's (Ghandi) last city. The very same turn, the game declared Ghandi had won the Religion victory! That was bulls**t to me! A civ shouldn't be able to win with no cities left at the end of the game.

I just played a game as Montezuma and I conquered India's (Ghandi) last city. The very same turn, the game declared Ghandi had won the Religion victory!
The rules for religion victory simply require a majority in all countries. Thus, when you eliminate countries or take cities, you can swing the balance such that your country becomes majority of that religion or you destroyed the last country following a different religion.
It's a very sneaky victory. (I often play with it turned off.) Space victory and tourism do warn you if others get close, though. You can see when they launch new space missions, etc.

There is also a menu that shows you everyone's victory progress - top right of the UI, leftmost button i think.

I would understand if a Civ won because the other competing Civ was wiped out. The Civ (Ghandi) that I actually conquered was the winner! The religion of the Civ may go on but if the Civ that started it is no longer in existence it doesn't make much sense to declare them the victor!
I also usually turn off Score Victory because that ends the game too early. Only the Science Victory graphic gives you a good idea of who is close to winning that victory, AFAIK.

Top Bottom