Defeat Into Victory 2

rhodie

Bwana M'Kubwa
'Defeat Into Victory' is based on the book of the same name by Field Marshall Sir William Slim, commander of the XIV Army that took Burma back from the Japanese during the Second World War.

Apart from many new units, terrain and graphic improvements, for the first time this scenario introduces several unique Japanese, British, American and Chinese tanks with animated crews and many other units that were used in the South East Asian theatre.

There are seven players, each allied to one of two factions - Axis or Allies. The scenario lasts 64 turns (weeks) representing the historical conflict 1941-45.

There are two Civ III versions: PTW (161MB RAR) and C3C (170MB RAR).

Use the external link for either:
http://www.stormoverciv.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Attachments

• Type94_tankette_anim.gif
    Type94_tankette_anim.gif
    159.3 KB · Views: 897
Sounds good. I haven't seen a new scenario for PTW in a long time.

Can we get some screenies of the C3C version? Allot of people don't bother to d/l scenarios without a taste 1st.

No problem. Here are three screenshots from the C3C scenario:

Attachments

• C3C Opening page.jpg
    C3C Opening page.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 350
  • C3C Malaya map section.jpg
    C3C Malaya map section.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 426
  • C3C Civilopedia page.jpg
    C3C Civilopedia page.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 338
Is this a conquest and/or domination map? If so, the maps a bit big to finish in 64 turns don't you think?

It is both conquest and domination and no, the map is not too big to finish winning or losing. Unit attributes are not exactly the same as the usual game. I have played this many times as different players and either the Allies win or the Axis. It doesn't matter which nation you play but it is probably more realistic following the historical action of the numerically superior and aggressive Japanese or British defendants. What matters is how you play against the crafty AI.

As a postscript to the concern over the number of turns, this can be changed to whatever you wish using the Civ III PTW or C3C editor. Historically, the conflict lasted from 7 December 1941 until 14 August 1945. That is about 190 weeks or about 46 months.
All Civ III games are governed by turns in either years, months or weeks but each turn can be any number of weeks, months or years. As I considered 190 too long and 46 too short, I adjust the turns to be 63 at 3 weeks and 1 turn at 1 week, totalling 190 weeks. Hence this scenario is 64 turns long. Depending on which nation you play and how fast you play the scenario, play time is about 12 comfortable hours. :)

I tried downloading it, but some page with text on it popped up.

The page with text that you mention is the introduction page for the ‘Defeat Into Victory 2’ scenario that is stored on the external web site, ‘Storm Over Civ’.
At the bottom of that introduction are two download links – PTW and C3C. Click on the Civ III version that you have to start the download.

You can also browse through the ‘Storm Over Civ’ web site and download other great Civ III scenarios created by their members. Enjoy :)

I know about the SOV site, and I tried the c3c download. Up came a page of not english, but some computer babble, and it never finished loading.

I have just tried both links from the SOC web site. I started each download without any problem. I use DAP and apart from the overview blank page, the DAP window below that starts the download, so I don't know why you are having a problem. :confused:

Hi Rhodie!!!

I`ve played the first version and now I`ll give your new version a try (downloading). I have encountered NO PROBLEMS using the DL-Link!!!

If I have enough time I will report back.

BTW: Found your new units in the Database today.
Special Thanks For Uploading Them!!!

Bye
General 666

Hi Rhodie!!!

I`ve played the first version and now I`ll give your new version a try (downloading). I have encountered NO PROBLEMS using the DL-Link!!!

If I have enough time I will report back.

BTW: Found your new units in the Database today.
Special Thanks For Uploading Them!!!

Bye
General 666

Thanks for that. :) I look forward to your comments.

You will find two extra tanks in the download data base that are not included in my scenario because, as far as I can discover, they were not used in SE Asia during WWII. They are the Cruiser MkIV and Crusader Cruiser, both served in North Africa.
Enjoy.
rhodie

Whoa, did you make all those units? You should start a thread in the Units forum so we can all get to see your work! (You'd be surprised how many people don't check the database regularly).

Thank you 'Delta Strife' and 'againsttheflow'.
There were no Japanese tanks when I created the first version of 'Defeat Into victory' some time ago, and as I thought that armour required a bit more 'personality', I researched and created my own, specifically for version 2 of my SE Asia scenario.

As much as I would love to create more units, these are much more than standard and require so much time. But we will see.

I uploaded my units as suggested by Thunderfall, but thanks for mentioning the 'units forum'. All my units are shown in the download database section but a specific unit might be easier to find if everything was listed in one Unit Library (as started by Partizanac some time ago). The problem is that some units are named incorrectly and not everyone knows the correct name.

What most people do is start a thread of their own in the units forum where they preview all their units and include links to the download in the database. It's practicaly expected of the unit makers which is why many rarely browse the database.

I don't troll the database for modern units. On the other hand, if not for Ozymandias & againsttheflow I'd never have seen your outstanding animations. Start a thread! & if one were entered in this month's poll it'd get my vote - twice if I could get away with it.

Wow!! Rhodie did you do the terrain graphics yourself? This mod is incredible, a real work of art!! This has got to be one of the best mods out there!! :goodjob:

Wow!! Rhodie did you do the terrain graphics yourself? This mod is incredible, a real work of art!! This has got to be one of the best mods out there!! :goodjob:

Thank you very much Gary. :) I was wondering when someone would comment.

If you click the ‘Description’ title bar on the ‘Player Setup’ page of my scenario, you will see that I have changed the usual ‘civilization’ description.
I used this section to acknowledge those CivFanatics whose creative genius I used to create ‘Defeat Into Victory 2’.
Quote: The main visual effect of the scenario is the magnificent jungle terrain created by Balthazar using pieces of terrain by Ares de Borg, Pounder, Goldfool, Womak and Varlin Saliptor. Unquote.
Their jungle terrain is as close as one can get in ‘Civilization’ to the real Burmese terrain fought over by the XIV Army.

The opening page shows an image of the pagodas of Rangoon, overlooked by a Japanese entrenchment. The entrenchment image I cribbed from a recent movie. I wonder if anyone knows which one?
You may have also noticed that the mini in-game windows have bamboo sides, topped by a Samurai sword and scabbard and superimposed by a British marine and Japanese rikusentai.

Thank you for mentioning one aspect of the game. I hope that you enjoyed the scenario and all the other improvements.

If I were you Rhodie I'd go ahead and upload all this stuff separately to the database just like you did the units. Its up to you of course but its nice for the rest of us to have all the options in one place. :)

Top Bottom