1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Defeating an island

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Whoman69, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Whoman69

Whoman69 Chieftain

I am playing my first game to completion on going for a domination victory. Only I find out that the last standing capital of Indonesia has only a single hex with only a mountain next to it. I'm guessing I won't be able to bomb over the mountains with my artillery and bombardment. To take the capital do I have to wait for my navy to destroy all defenses and opposition before I can land my troops there or is there a special type unit I have to have to even get in there? What are my options and strategies available?

2. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

You don't need to send army at all, a navy of 5-ish ranged ships and 1 melee ship can capture any coastal city. Let the ranged ones reduce defenses and garrison health to 0, then send in the melee to capture.

3. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

Well, apparently you can attack with melee embarked units, but I never tried that myself. Maybe the amphibious promotion helps:

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_(Civ6)

"Embarked melee units may attack targets on land, when adjacent to it, but they will suffer the Amphibious attack CS penalty (unless they're of the melee class and have earned the Amphibious promotion).

All embarked units have diminished Combat Strength for defense purposes, regardless of their type. The penalty is roughly 50%."

-> So, aparently, you need melee units to attack from water, ranged units can't shoot when they are embarked.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  4. jozef57

jozef57 Chieftain

THE RANGED SHIPS WITH A MELEE SHIP IS THE BEST AND SIMPLELEST WAY TO GO, I DO IT ALL THE TIME AND TO BE HONNEST I AM NOT NOT A REALY GOD CIV PLAYER;P; BUT LOVE IT SINCE 2

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

One your bombards are artillery they can indirectly fire (over mountains) and add a balloon for extra range.
    Ships are great but if you do not have them it will be faster to bombard amd sail troops in for the final attack.

It’s just a question of what you have amd the fastest way.

Ships are best in these situations but if you have none nearby you need another option.

6. Whoman69

Whoman69 Chieftain

My frigates cleared the seas. They were close enough to my border to be able to upgrade to battleship and the fight was over very quickly. Though I did have an amphibious infantry unit.