1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense against nukes?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Plumfairy, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

I'm fighting a war in the nuclear age for the very first time, and I can't help but wonder: is there any defense against nukes? Or should I just give up on maintaining a large air force? (a single nuke seems to take out all 10 of my garrisoned planes in one go.)

I should add that I took out a stupid number of his units the turn before, so it's only fair that he gets to do the same to me now. But.... is there a way for either of us to defend?

2. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

No defense at all! Nuke first!

3. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

The best defense against nukes are more nukes.

4. Haersh

Haersh Chieftain

TBH the best way IMHO is just to nuke him before he nukes you. See which cities he has based his nukes in and destroy them first

5. sendos

sendos Immortal

Putting bomb shelters aside, it depends on the situation.

If you're on an island or you have complete control over the continent, the best defence against nukes is a strong navy. Make sure enemy carriers are over 10 blocks away from your important cities. Also find effective ways to keep missile cruisers at bay, as they can hold nuclear missiles.

In other situations, mostly when your capitol is just 10 tiles from a nearby enemy base. It's all a matter of either nuking first or pushing ahead confidently. It's all about prevention, hence the bomb shelters.

6. KmDubya

KmDubya King

Another thing to do is to find their uranium and pillage it so they can not build more nukes.

7. Resident Mario

Resident Mario Warlord

There are a few ways to defend against nukes.

• Bomb Shelters reduce the population damage done by Nukes by 75 percent. After the nuke is dropped shift production in that city to Settlers (this prevents the city from starving) and bring in Workers for cleanup. A combination of a strong labor force, a high food city, a Medical Lab, and some internal trade route grafting can return a nuked city back to previous health in as few as 20 turns.
    • If you are graced with control of the UN (aka, you are going for a diplo victory), vote in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation resolution. Bonus points if you manage to build or buy your own nukes up first. Alternatively, buy or barter your way to the proposition with your allies.
    • Steal it. Once you discover Atomic Theory scroll out and assess the nuclear availability of your foes. Uranium is such an important late-game resource that if it's in a nearby border I usually claim it with a Great General; I also generally buy out any city-states with the resource that I'm worried will be claimed by a hostile AI. If they don't have the glowing green rocks, they can't build nukes (this is the benefit of doing your exploratory homework).
    • Preemptive strike. If you have a hostile AI and they have LoS on important cities of yours, getting nuked can completely shut down your victory, especially if you're going for a science victory. In those cases it's best to cripple them before they get that far and open up a buffer zone between you and your potentially future nuclear-armed foe (think Warsaw Pact).

8. Resident Mario

Resident Mario Warlord

This is pretty hard, actually, because you'd have to spread your navy quite thinly to get good coverage. And even then the AI isn't entirely devoid of strategic thinking - they'll gladly sacrifice a Nuclear Submarine to get it close enough to launch candy at you. That being said the map usually has strategic naval choke points you can hold to prevent this.

9. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

How? The only thing the interface shows me is that "X city has 3 air units", while "Y city has 2 air units". And with 5 or 6 cities all within nuking distance of my empire, it's not realistic to take out all possible launch cities in one turn.

On the positive side, I was able to spread out *my* forces all throughout my empire, since pretty much all my empire is able to strike his. So when he did nuke one of my cities, I only lost a fraction of my forces.

...and after playing the game out, it turns out that I had many, many more nukes than he did. Nevertheless, the whole world was left looking kinda Chernobyl-y.

Heh. Nukes are pretty awesome.

10. beestar

beestar subdeity

You can actually click on the "3 air units" to see what type they are.

11. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Most of the ways of nuclear defense are already posted here. U.n, bomb shelters and ships along with not allowing the opponent any opportunity to acquire uranium. Another thing about atomic bombs is that they aren't that destructive as they say they are. I once nuked an Ai but the Ai still had more hidden troops in other areas.

12. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

If the AI settles within 10 tiles of any of your cities conquer it. I've found the AI usually doesn't nuke first but waits to be nuked. Then it will nuke you. Another option is to never give open borders as if the AI cant see your city he can't put a spy in it.

13. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

Embark units in the water to form a "safety net" to see them coming. Use cheap units like scouts, workers even.

14. FinsT

FinsT Chieftain

To never give open borders is indeed a right idea - i never give it to anyone. However, in this particular case, it's not much help - because religious units, such as prophets, can move through all they like.

And then, if there is a nuclear threat, then enemy is not that far from having sattelites researched. If not already. Which, i guess, shows them everything, just like it does to a player.

As for defense against nukes - what wasn't mentioned (or did i miss it?) - is good old diplomacy (however, most of it works _before_ the war, not when war is already going on). Yet, in case of _nuclear_ war, prevention is always massively better than actual fighting, eh.

I mean, try to make them to fight each other by using trade creatively - get them nuclear powers busy nuking each other. Try to send your spies as diplomats to capitols of civs which are most likely to attempt to fight the one which threatens you, and share any relevant intrigue with your foe - this will increase possibility of them fighting each other AND will improve relations with the one who might attack you, in the same time. If you happen to propose for UN - perhaps look for things which would please the civ which threatens you. Send a diplomat to their capitol and find out how they are going to vote - and vote the same, this should please them too. Consider giving gifts if nothing else helps - it's cheaper to lose some resources or gold than a couple cities, is it.

As for large airforce - use carriers, if possible (be sure to screen them with missile cruisers - or destroyers until missile cruisers are available); or, if far from any large bodies of water, then switch to helicopters and ground-based anti-air units (SAMs). You'll need the latter since helicopters are very vulnerable to enemy fighters, iirc. Yep, this is inferiour, but you can distribute those around (not having to keep your airforce in a city), thus minimizing casualties from nuclear hits. Plus, helicopters are relatively cheap airforce.

15. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Nuke his nukes with your own nukes!

16. Resident Mario

Resident Mario Warlord

Upkeep $$$

Also there is no peacetime notification for a unit passing by yours, and no wartime one either if the units exits your unit's LoS. I kept an early-warning Caravel (later Destroyer) net in a recent Archipelago map and to my annoyance was still getting random enemy naval units on my shipping lanes just because I didn't have the patience to scroll all the way out and reposition the map at the end of every turn to glimpse the passage of nearby naval units through my LoS.