Defense: new technology?

Ghandi Khan

Warlord
I'm playing the Defense scenario, all was going pretty well until I maxed out my cities and built up what I felt were pretty good defenses, so I was generating a lot of extra cash and decided to buy some technology. However, when I go to the tech tree and click on a tech, there is no price or option to buy it at the bottom of the screen. Earlier in the scenario, it was there. Now it's gone. What gives? Anyone else have this problem? If you save the game and come back to it, does that screw it up?

Also, would have been nice to get a warning about those samurais that deal damage to adjacent units. Took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on.. lost a bunch of stacked units to collatoral damage, so far they are the only units I lost other than a couple scouts looking for huts.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check, but I believe it won't give you the option of buying a tech unless you have all the pre-req techs. I don't think the tech tree is very good in this mod since they're aren't lines representing pre-requisites. I believe the other pre-requisites are shown somewhere in the box for the tech, but I haven't played that mod for a couple weeks.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check, but I believe it won't give you the option of buying a tech unless you have all the pre-req techs. I don't think the tech tree is very good in this mod since they're aren't lines representing pre-requisites. I believe the other pre-requisites are shown somewhere in the box for the tech, but I haven't played that mod for a couple weeks.

You are right and I noticed the same thing early on in the scenario. However, now I don't even have the option of purchasing the very basic technologies (I never got any). I think this is going to make it pretty difficult to complete the scenario and I gave up trying to go any further. I guess I could just spend all my money on tons of units... but stacking units in this scenario is generally a bad idea.

I have the same problem with Defense. I even created a forum on it earlier!

Every tech needs a amount of completed turns before you can buy it. For trebuchets its (if I'm right) 223 turns.

Normaly, you should see the amount of turns you need when you hover over the techs. I'm not sure if you can see it in the civilopedia.

best wishes

I actually just had the same problem, and I don't think it is related to turns. I was able to purchase techs until I saved and then reloaded. Every time on reload, I can't see the buy option. However, playing the game straight through without stopping, I've not had any problems.

When I had that problem, it was because I did not have the prerequisite alternate technology. A lot of the later technologies have another prerequisite besides the one right before it in the line.

This happened to me, I had to reload every turn I wanted to but a tech. It seems that the UI needs to be reminded every so often

When I had that problem, it was because I did not have the prerequisite alternate technology. A lot of the later technologies have another prerequisite besides the one right before it in the line.

This is definitely not the problem. I bought horsemen and decided to hold off on buying catapults right away, though I had the option to do so. I saved my game and closed down to get some lunch. I came back to restart, and now I have no option to buy any tech - even the most basic, including catapults. The fact that I've now made it to round 12 without being able to purchase anything but horsemen says to be there is a bug here.

In fact, here's a save game where I've gone up to round 5 and can't buy any techs. You have to play the round through to see it, but it just doesn't appear.

Top Bottom