Defensive bombardment

Delphi456

Prince
If I have a spear, archer, LB and cat in a stack that gets attacked, how many units get to bomard? Just the one with the highest bombard number?

Only one each battle. IOW If your stack is attacked twice, the LB and the archer will get in a shot.

Edit sorry I did not notice you had a cat, so it would get in a shot. In any event all units with bombard would get a turn, if you had enough attackers. One attacker, one bombard. Cat, LB then archer.

which of the three would come first? The one with the highest bombard? (so, the order would be cat > LB > archer)

sercer is right. Up to 3 times as long as each attacker has >1 HP.

On another note, does defensive bombard target the attack or defense of the attacking unit? Sounds like something to test to me.

I would expect the defense.

well, offensive bombardment targets the defense of units...so I, too would expect the defensive bombardments to act in the same manner

I've always worked that way when trying to finely calculate battle odds. But here's a trickier question: does the attacking unit get a terrain def bonus when bombarded, and if so, is he considered to be standing on his original tile, or the one he is trying to attack?

...now THAT would require testing...

For the next, oh, hour or so, I will test this, and post my results: wish me luck!

Luck is wished to you! Are the results interesting?

I really would expect a defensive bonus for the tile that the attacker is on because defensive bombard is applied before the attacker advances towards the defender.

However, on the last thing, I notice that for archer on archer (longbow on longbow...) battles, the units do not walk up to the other to attack unlike for sword vs spear, or archer vs spear battles. Why would that be programmed in? Wouldn't it just be easier to have all attacker units attack up close? I would think so, so perhaps there is a hidden difference about archer vs. archer battles that is not readily apparent.

well, for some reason the way I was doing it was wrong...I guess: I could only get 1 attack in before it was like "elimination" or something, and the opponent was just GONE after 1 lost battle!!??? Here's the specs about that battle: the units were 999/100(100)/1 and 23 HP. I attacked with one of those units, and the same type of unit defended. The attacking unit got bombarded first by another same type of unit in that stack and knocked 1 HP off of the attacking unit. But then, the attacking unit proceeded to win the battle without losing another HP! Given these numbers, the chances for the defensive bombard to hit the defense was a 50/50 chance, and the chances to hit the attack was a 1/10 chance...so for that one battle, I THINK I can say the following:

1)Defensive bombarding still targets the defense.
2)Don't make 23 HP units: they take forever to finish a battle!!!!

I was NOT able to determine whether the attacking unit that is defensively bombarded gets any terrain defense bonuses or whether the terrain defense was from the tile the unit was attacking from, or the tile the unit was attacking.

Turn off-animations? Do 2 HP and 999/1(1)/1. We can assume that defensive wins during the battle are too low to matter. Then we can check defensive bombard based on how many 1 HP or 2 HP people there are left on the attacking side.

Do this for 100 units and it'll be readily apparent. (Just press an arrow key 100 times).

that's basically what I tried to do...but, as I said above, all the other units I painstakingly added to the map for the test scenario disappeared after the first lost battle :eek:

Yeah, but we still don't know which tile the unit gets defense from...

Which IS it standing on when it gets bombarded? Is it on it's previous square? The defender's square? Does the terrain factor in at all? I want answers! :D

When I see the animation it looks like the defender bombards, and then the attacker moves forward. Hence, it is the attacker's tile square, presumably with that tiles terrain bonuses. Of course, the findings about defensive bombard would affect the current combat calculators. But all this seems so insignificant to me. Defensive bombard does not really tip the battles too much in or against your favor, so the situation must be really bad for one to need to worry about it. And if one is relying on this for AW, then good luck winning at all. (Not to say that one should do without defensive bombard though. A simple approximation of its effectiveness would get the job done much faster.)

But, of course, if you have the time, by all means test this for us.

Top Bottom