Defensive game

Dale H

Chieftain
Have enjoyed playing as Seondeok on Prince but at Emperor and above have run into repeated AI placement right next to Genghis Khan which results in early and multiple aggressions which seem to put me behind in development. I have fended him off but he won't lay down and keeps on coming.

Would like to play a defensive (no domination victory game) using her for her science game.

I suppose I could choose other AI civs to exclude him and will probably go this route but it got me to wondering: Are there any other peaceful players on higher levels and what advice or tricks do you have to avoid having to get next to a brute like Genghis Khan and get your teeth kicked in?

Thanks,

I'm not sure what you're aiming for here. Why don't you just send him packing and take all of his cities? He won't bother you anymore, and you'll be well positioned to achieve any Victory Condition you wish. If you don't want his cities, you can just destroy his army and then take him to the cleaners in the peace deal. Either way, you shouldn't be getting your teeth kicked in. If you start next to a belligerent neighbor, you have to deal with him. Better sooner than later.

That said, I wouldn't mind an option to exclude certain Civs from the game at startup, but keep the rest random. I seem to get Teddy Roosevelt in every game. Seeing the same people over and over is a little boring, but I like the process of finding out who's in the game with me, so I don't want to choose all of my opponents.

Have enjoyed playing as Seondeok on Prince but at Emperor and above have run into repeated AI placement right next to Genghis Khan which results in early and multiple aggressions which seem to put me behind in development. I have fended him off but he won't lay down and keeps on coming.

Would like to play a defensive (no domination victory game) using her for her science game.

I suppose I could choose other AI civs to exclude him and will probably go this route but it got me to wondering: Are there any other peaceful players on higher levels and what advice or tricks do you have to avoid having to get next to a brute like Genghis Khan and get your teeth kicked in?

Thanks,
basically, you survive the first 30-40 turns and you have basically won.. a encampment district with walls on the border cities, will ensure you will likely not need more then a handfull of troops to defend every possible attack, because the AI really is that bad.

Based on the initial productions boni the AI gets (based on difficulty) the first few turns can get you wiped easily

If you don't want to conquer his cities, just fight defensively and use the terrain. Once you can determine what city he's targeting first, you should be able to laugh in his face.

Thanks for the responses. Did wall cities and use encampment and terrain but all the diversion to military resources sure put me behind in science and culture development and given time he became much too strong for me, a civ not devoted to arms? Only chance for success would have been to take him on early and wipe him out but that would defeat the peaceful or defensive strategy. I understand about how Civ is fundamentally a 'bash 'em and grab' type strategy game but just trying another way.

You can pick the AI civs under advanced setup but then, as you say, you lose the randomness. You have to do that yourself.

You could also try playing the diplomatic game. Send delegation, don't go against their agenda, maybe even throw in a gift... This is on deity:

Thanks for the responses. Did wall cities and use encampment and terrain but all the diversion to military resources sure put me behind in science and culture development and given time he became much too strong for me, a civ not devoted to arms? Only chance for success would have been to take him on early and wipe him out but that would defeat the peaceful or defensive strategy. I understand about how Civ is fundamentally a 'bash 'em and grab' type strategy game but just trying another way.

You can pick the AI civs under advanced setup but then, as you say, you lose the randomness. You have to do that yourself.

Did you try simply becoming friends with him? Send a diplomat as soon as you meet him, and make sure he has a larger cavalry. I find Ghengis to actually be a fairly friendly guy.

edit: ninja'd

Sry guess i was wrong it has always worked for me as long as his army's superior.

Top Bottom