Defensive pact musings

gibbie99

Chieftain
I am playing a game as Aztecs, and entered a defense pact with the AI Russia. I founda few things that weren't documented, I don't think, and found them to be pretty cool.

1) If you capture a enemy city which used to be your allies, you can revert control of it to the ally.
2) If you enter a war with an enemy, and drag along your allies, you are penalized in diplomacy against the enemy (not like we care, since we are bent on wiping them out anyway)

I think you have rebasing rights at their cities too, but that's not news really.

Anyway more cool stuff about civ, i feel that i learn something new about the game design every time i start up a new game.

I belive that if you have a Def. pact with an AI and YOU start a war with another AI that the pact is broken. It is only honored if the AI attacks you first.

Meffy said:
A third choice, along with keep and raze?

Yep I have only seen it in a couple of games. I had a game where England had lost London to the Greeks, later on I had a Def. pact with England and the Greeks attacked again. Well I quickly mauled the greek army and took London. At that point I got 3 options, keep, give back to England or raze.

By the way in that game I decided to give London back, it was a bit far off my cultural borders and at that point in the game I didn't want to manage another city under strife. I won that game with a Diplomatic victory due to England voting for me so it paid off :)

You don't even need to have a defensive pact to have the option to give back city...i believe the only thing necessary is an "agree to declare war on X", whether it be initiated by either side.

You definitely don't need a pact, as I've never joined one and gotten the return city to owner option.

Top Bottom