1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive pact

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Der_Zorn_gottes, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

In my current game, I want to conquer Persia for a couple of reasons. However, the world peace resolution has been passed, and I am a little afraid of the public response if I just waltz in and conquer.
    I tried everything to provoke him to declare on me (that lowers warmongering penalties, right?), but he won't bite. So I finally decided to bite the bullet and attack anyway - just to find out that he has a defensive pact with America.
    I am not scared militarily, but I got an idea - if I declare on America instead, how does the pact work? Do I declare technically on both civs, or do I declare only on America and then Persia declares on me, and I get to conquer their cities with less penalty?
    Sounds fishy, but one can hope, right?

2. JimBobRedneck

JimBobRedneck Chieftain

I don't think being on the receiving end of a war declaration does anything for warmonger penalties other than you don't get the penalty for declaring. The moment you take a city that wasn't yours to begin with, even in a war you didn't start, you're no longer the defender - you're the aggressor. Edit: Though it might in a slightly round-about way. The civ that declares gets the penalty for doing so, worsening his reputation with other civs, who in turn may be less concerned with your taking one of his cities. They would probably already have to be on the cusp of disliking the aggressor though.

As for the pact, I think (though not 100% positive) that it works as you declare on civ A and then their pact-mates declare on you.

3. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Usually think of the defensive pact as the Cold War. You had the Warsaw Pact with the NATO. Theoretically, if you declare war on one from the Warsaw Pact/NATO, you had all nations belonging to that one treaty declare war on you. "An attack on one is an attack on all."

Also, anyone notice how hard it is to get defensive pacts? I'm surprised my Order allies didn't want one with me. :confused:

4. BenchBreaker

BenchBreaker Warlord

AI seems to be able to get them no problem

5. PurpleMentat

PurpleMentat Videographer

I have never managed to get an opponent to agree to a defensive pact. They are more likely to agree to voluntary vassalage.

6. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I think the penalty for warmongering is reduced by 10-20% if you are fighting a defensive war. That's not a huge amount, though, in the event that you're taking multiple cities.

I might need to tone down AI requirements for DPs just a hair.

G

7. moonrgr

moonrgr Chieftain

I have the same feeling. Vassalage is easier to get than defensive pact. (3/9 modpack)

8. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

For those interested:
    Another civ did declare on the pact. At least from the messages it appears that the second member of the alliance declared war on the aggressor.

9. Cyde042

Cyde042 Chieftain

Could you explain how the AI is enclined to agree to a DP?

10. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

I mean, the AI does accept them, but only if you have a huge military (aka when you don't need a defensive pact).

11. Cyde042

Cyde042 Chieftain

I could never get any civ with whom I had a DoF with accept a DP, even if my army was in top 3/4. Although it might be because I was warmongering.