Defensive strategies

MajorFallout

Battalion-Command
A lot of you guys go on about offensive warfare, but what if the war is brought to you, and you don't have a large enough army, due either to tough fiancial times or you're stuck on an island. How do you fend off those enemy hordes?

This may not appeal to you all out warmongers out there, but what about you cultural/empire building players.

I'll start this off: Depanding on whether on an island by yourself or on a continent sharing with 1 or more civs. In order to beat back those bloody civs, who insist on declaring war on you, here are 3-4 rules that I normally go by:

ISLAND DEFENSE:
1) Build up some artillery, cruise missiles, and bombers. So that you can sink any incoming ships and transports.
2) Get together 2-3 stacks of offensive units, intermixed with defensive units to beat back any landing parties, together with bombers.
3) Produce as many naval vessels as possible to sink incoming ships and more importantly aircraft carriers.
4) If the enemy is only a few squares from your shores, then produce 2-3 fighters in your coastal cities to shoot down incoming bombers. Make sure you set them to intercept mode.

INLAND DEFENSE:
1) Fortresses; these are your primary defensive 'wall' for your border with the warring neighbour - of course, you have to have the presence of mind to build these BEFORE you suspect an attack at some point in the future. Put 2 defensive units on them, and if you can spare any, some artillery as well.
2) Assemble some stacks of offensive units of between 6-15 units each, so that you can destroy any incoming armies/stacks.
3) Stacks of artillery (preferably located on hills or mountains for successful hitting power), are useful for decimating invaders, and the civ's predictable proceedure of sending in stacks of units to topple you.
4) Bombers. Use them to destroy all of his roads leading to your borders, preferably all roads/railsways to about 2-3 squares into his land. That should slow down his attack, so that you'll have time to build more units and destroy any units left in your lands.
5) Use fighter aircraft to shoot down all incoming bombers, by locating them in your border cities and some in cities just a little further into your lands. The less bombers he has the better you can destroy his forces.
6) Your navy may not be much use here, but if you wish, you could use all your battleships, destroyers and ironclads to find and destroy his navy, or bombard his coastal areas, especially any squares with resources on them.

Of course this only covers industrial and modern age engagements.

well i could say some things. i always try to build my cities in hills, since it automatically gives me 50% defending bonus.
building walls is nice if you are militaristic, otherwise is just useless since you have to build it without 50% discount.

Originally posted by MajorFallout
3) Stacks of artillery (preferably located on hills or mountains for successful hitting power)

Having them on hills/mountains has no effect on their success.

Otherwise, pretty good :thumbsup:.

Originally posted by Anti-EUA
building walls is nice if you are militaristic, otherwise is just useless since you have to build it without 50% discount.

Not really. Walls are pretty cheap to begin with, and can be quite helpful in the defense of smaller cities.

Originally posted by MajorFallout

1) Build up some artillery, cruise missiles, and bombers. So that you can sink any incoming ships and transports.

I would advise having Jet fighters or something as well, so you can do recon so you have further warning of any armada's comming you way

One of the principal keys to successful Industrial/Modern defense is a good RR net. Being able to shift a mobile reserve from point to point at infinitie speed is worth alot. Particularly with Arty ...

I'm not much of a believer in Fortresses other than in specific strategic locations (bottleneck isthmuses, etc). Ideally, I'll have three tiles of noting particular between my cities and the border - that way even Cav and MA must spend a turn merely covering ground, giving me an opportunity to bombard and counterattack. Obviously, this open area should be RRed all over.

Top Bottom