Define "Left".

IdiotsOpposite

Boom, headshot.
This is a thread where I want you, OTers, to say what you think "left of center" or "left-wing" or whatever the hell label you use actually means. As this is going to be your perceptions, this is a no-fact zone. How do you see left-wingers? What policies do you think they espouse?

I'll start. I associate with the left such policies as a support of same-sex marriage and the choice of abortion. I believe they reject the free market model and opt toward economic regulation. I think that a true left-winger is against war and foreign intervention (something Democrats have been terrible at). I feel that the left wing values safety and order more than the right wing.

I hate political labels but on the compass I'm in the bottom left grid.

I consider lefties to be more reasonable people that are more likely to conduct government business for the betterment of society rather than the betterment of their wallet.

Of course, they're all the same in politics, but alas.

Left = opposing the privileges of the powerful and advocating greater equality. For example, advocating the right of homosexuals to have the same recognition as heterosexuals.

... where the thumb is on the right.

A person on the 'left' is someone who has their heart and ideals in the right place but does not understand how this world works, nor how it should work.

A person on the 'left' is someone who has their heart and ideals in the right place but does not understand how this world works, nor how it should work.
Yeah, the world is run by selfish idiots that vote right :rolleyes:

I'll start. I associate with the left such policies as a support of same-sex marriage and the choice of abortion. I believe they reject the free market model and opt toward economic regulation. I think that a true left-winger is against war and foreign intervention (something Democrats have been terrible at). I feel that the left wing values safety and order more than the right wing.

I think you might have made Rawls spin in his grave with your market line. And order being more valued on the left than the right?

Odd, because I think right-wingers have their hearts in the wrong place, their ideals are are fine, and haven't a clue as to how this world works.

I think you might have made Rawls spin in his grave with your market line. And order being more valued on the left than the right?
I found that odd to, given how the right has traditionaly been the 'law and order' group.

I have no idea who Rawls is, so I'll ignore that one. But I said that the left is more concerned with order because they're the ones who support regulations (even in the most basic form), they're the ones who support laws to enforce safety (seatbelt laws and the like), and so on.

Yeah, but on the right you have regulations for drugs (and even farther right) alcohol.

Both sides push regulations.

True, true... I might have to revise my statement in light of this information.

Odd, because I think right-wingers have their hearts in the wrong place, their ideals are are fine, and haven't a clue as to how this world works.

I have a principle that anyone within four squares of the origin on the Political Compass is basically sane, the rest are to some extent or other either delusional or in need of fresh air.

I think that principle has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese.

The Political Compass test is a poor indication of one's true political ideology. Questions on homosexuality and adoption, "making peace with the establishment"? It doesn't prove much.

Not right. :mischief:

"Left" is an easy word used by conservatives and reactionaries to frame progressive values in a box.

Liberals think the government should intervene to assure that everybody has the basic necessities. That sufficient food, clothing, shelter is provided for all, and that everybody has access to healthcare at all times.

That corporations must be strongly regulated to assure they don't take advantage of others.

That natural resources should be protected and shared by everybody instead of exploited by the few.

That the government should intervene wherever possible to assure that people are treated equally. That children are well-protected, especially from their own parents.

That the elderly should be adequately provided for and treated with respect.

That the basic precepts which this country was founded should be practiced at all times, regardless of the consequences.

For those who are Christians, that Christianity is something which should be practiced seven days a week instead of given lip service on Sunday mornings.

That change is good and should be encouraged whenever possible.

That all people no matter where they live should have the same basic human rights, and that they are treated with decency and respect by their own government. That the government should intervene when other countries mistreat their own citizens.

Top Bottom