1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Define unit movement path

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by gavenkoa, Jun 28, 2019.

1. gavenkoa

gavenkoa Chieftain

I define movement with "G" key and mouse click. Sometimes I don't like path and I don't like to guide unit two or more times (and waiting between steps for unit to arrive to intermediate point).

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Not sure there is a question here, but I don't use that option much at all...especially if potential danger exists. However, I'm not sure if you are aware but you can set a rally point from a city or all your cities. Really nice time saver when trying to build up an army.

I forget the exact commands at the moment. But for one city you click on the city bar so the that city is "active". I think it is Ctl + S that sets the rally point and then you just click on the tile you want the units to go..you will see a yellow circle around the tile. For all city, I think you Ctl + click any city bar and all cities will be active. Ctl+S to set rally point and click the target tile. Units produced from all cities will go to that tile. Of course, you can play around with this to have units from different cities go to different rally points, but that is a bit of work to setup initially.

On another note and more related to what you describe, I may recall that there is a way to specify the route from the G command combined with other keys. I may be misremembering though and don't know the exact commands. What comes to mind is that long ago I used to semi-automate worker action with various clicks. (don't do that anymore since I want to micro worker actions specifically) But the point is that one may be able to do something similar with routes. I may test that out next time I'm in the game. (To clarify..my thinking here is you hit G to set route part way to point A > set that route > and then set the route to Point B > and Point C...but all part of the same definite route. In other words, you might be able to more accurately set a route that you want, by creating "segments" in the route versus what the game tries to decide for you)

gavenkoa likes this.
  3. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

You can queue commands by holding shift so if you hold shift and then right click you can specify path.

Using shift to queue command is also very useful with GMs since it allows you to check how much money you get from trade missions in different cities without moving the GM around.

gavenkoa likes this.
  4. lymond

Yep, this works indeed. I discovered that quite some years ago. You do have to be able to see the cities on the map.

Yes, queuing commands was the point I was trying to get at in many more confusing words...ha

5. gavenkoa

gavenkoa Chieftain

Ctrl+S is for saving...

I see the problems with setting rally point when all cities are selected and I try to set it to city - I've read to make Ctrl+Shift+Right click which I tries and it didn't work (at least 100% of time). So I put rally point nearby city one game as workaround.

Rally point is a real time saver. And than you control 1-3 SoD.

Oh! I tried to hold Shift after "G" command instead of selecting path straight away with right clicks while holding Shift!

I don't understand why queueing / rally points aren't in:

https://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/references/keyboard-shortcuts/

6. lymond

Ugh...I mix things up all the time with shortcuts. Yep, its just shift+click on a city bar and then click the target tile.

Alt+click on any city bar and you select all cities. Ctl+click for all cities on same continent (likely this one you want to use for rally points)

Yes, you should be able to set a rally point on a city center tile (I assume that is what you meant), but you won't see a yellow circle. It should still work though.

Rally points are on that list. I don't think queuing commands is there though.

Glad queuing route commands worked for you, and glad Windsor explained it better than me.

gavenkoa likes this.