Defining God

what attributes does god posses

• Total voters

Shadylookin

master debater
We have numerous debates about god around here yet god is a losely defined term. I often find myself debating and at least 2 people will have a very different view of what god is and does. Now I would like to use this thread to get different ideas. So please before you all turn this into a raging debate about whos got the one true idea of god please answer the upcoming poll with these options.

god does not exist
god created the universe
god is eternal
there is more than 1 god
the universe is god/ god is everything
god is all that is good
god intervines in human affairs
god grants free will
god supports determinism(everything is predetermined)
god knows the past present and future
god can do whatever he pleases
god is everywhere
god is made up of seperate but equal entities(ex. the holy trinity)
god has another supernatural force/s acting against him(ex. satan)
god is unchanging

god created other spiritual planes of existance that we will go to when we die(ex. heaven/hell)

god always does the best thing possible(omnibenevolence)
god does many other things (please state)
I don't know if god exists or what he does
the radioactive monkey is the one true god

God created the universe; God is eternal; God intervenes in human affairs; God grants free will; God can do whatever he pleases; God is made up of seperate but equal entities; God is unchanging; God created other spiritual planes of existence; God always does the best possible thing.

I must add, though: God can do whatever he pleases, but not necessarily whatever can be stated (burrito so hot even he could not eat it and such). Also you worded the Trinity incorrectly, but I do beleive in the Trinity. Oh, and I did not vote "God knows the past, present, and the future" because that is an issue I need to resolve.

Well, it's all me for now. (heh, first in poll, second in posts)

As to the 'other things' well, there's too many to even try listing.

My god is Jehovah, the former god of the Israelites. In addition to creating the universe et al, He also parted the Red Sea after plaguing the Egyptians failed to teach them any respect, gave various semi-divine powers to Moses, Aaron, Jesus, and the apostles, granted tongues to the early Christians, caused a need for same at the tower of Babel in the first place, warned Noah of and then destroyed mankind in a Great Flood, etc...

He does not turn dead people into angels, nor does He send them for firey torment by His enemy. God never lies. Unlike our human rulers, He always does what is best for us, whether we recognise that as best or not. He is not a three-in-one entity of vast weirdness. The oft-mentioned but little understood 'holy spirit' that some refer to as an entity is the will of God acting in people who are in harmony with Him. In the past this took the form of various miracles, like the ability early Christians gained of speaking in tongues to enable them to carry the Word of God throughout the earth.

Your signature BTW is clearly spoken by someone who hasn't the faintest clue what Christianity is all about.

Edit:
Prolly should have listed choices...

God...

Created the Universe
Is Eternal (the term lifespan has no meaning applied to God, He's been around longer than time, and always will be)
Grants Free Will
Has another supernatural force/s acting against him(ex. satan)
Is unchanging (insofar as His powers go, clearly He can remember and therefore whatever He uses for a memory can add information)
Always does the best thing possible(omnibenevolence) (as said, whether we recognise it as such or no)
Does many other things (please state) (above)

I believe that the my mind creates the reality that I live in. In other words, I'm the god of my life.

God alone is. God alone is REAL. God is that which is eternal, infinite, unchanging and permanent. Creation is impermanent, finite, changing and exists because finite consciousness is unable to see past itself.

EDIT:
Given my starting point how could god not act within creation?
god is all that is good and bad and indifferent
god grants free will: see my sig; Thanks BE :)
god knows the past present and future: Time exists only within the illusion of creation

Gr3yL3gion said:
I believe that the my mind creates the reality that I live in. In other words, I'm the god of my life.
Wouldn't you have complete control over reality, then? And since you obviously don't - how are you the god of your life?

Your signature BTW is clearly spoken by someone who hasn't the faintest clue what Christianity is all about.

so says the jehovahs witness. The quote is supposed to make people of mainstream christianity, islam, or people that accept the concept of hell think about their possitions. The quote obviously doesn't apply to you much like it doesn't apply to numerous other theists who have no believe in hell, but lets not pretend here that the majority of christians don't believe in hell.

According to the Dictionary, a god is someone of supreme being. According to me, God does not exist and a mere frictional character created by humans.

Ramius75 said:
According to me, God does not exist and a mere frictional character created by humans.
Even if god is not fictional, he is certainly frictional as you state. ;)

cgannon64 said:
Wouldn't you have complete control over reality, then? And since you obviously don't - how are you the god of your life?

I didn't said anything about complete control over reality. What I meant was that I have control over my own reality, that this my reality exist simply because I believe in it.

I am God. You are God. The cat in my lap is God. The bum on the street corner is God. Hurricane Katrina is God. The fishy in my cat's dishy is God. The bacterias living on my computer screen are Gods. God is everyone. God is everything. God is nothing. God cares. God doesn't care. God is physics. God is wikipedia. God is Curt Sibling. God is Nietzche. God doesn't care about spelling. God loves you, even if you're gay. God wrote this. Allah be Praised!

Gr3yL3gion said:
What I meant was that I have control over my own reality,
Probably a lot less than you think.You might have some contrl over a few of your actions, even less of your emotions and thoughts. Almost all your bodily functions are controlled without your conscious intervention or the ability to alter them beyond a very narrow range. A list of what you do control will not be very long. :D

cgannon64 said:

How do you know he doesn't have complete control? It is impossible to prove or disprove, just like the existence of God. So don't be too hasty to jump to conclusions that could just as easily be applied to your own worldview. ;)

I don´t know if god exists and neither do you.

Edit:
I can´t prove that he exists and I can´t prove that he don´t, I personally don´t believe, but, of course, I may be wrong as you can believe whatever you want, but, of course, you can be wrong.

G-d created the universe AND recreates it every single second
G-d is eternal SINCE time is also a part of creation
G-d is IN everything
G-d is all that is "good" AND "bad" AND "other"
G-d intervines in human affairs EXCEPT human's free will
G-d grants free will
G-d knows the past present and future
G-d can do whatever he pleases SINCE He's the only Source without source
G-d is everywhere
G-d is unchanging SINCE He's the Source
G-d created other spiritual planes of existance that we will go to when we die(ex. heaven/hell)
G-d always does the best thing possible SINCE only He is GOOD
G-d does many other things that are too many to state right here

G-d is the only "God" any other "gods" are either idols or stupid "ideas".

Top Bottom