1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Deforestation factor goes from 0 straight to 50%?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by MrRadar, Jun 4, 2020.

1. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Second game in a row I notice that the deforestation level goes from 0 (and not indicated) right to 50% in one turn. I certainly do not do that much chopping in a turn, far from it. I chop rather gradually and not so much. I do not believe AI does such massive one-time chopping neither.

Before NFP, I used to see it going from 0 to 10%, then to 30% max. That is on Standard sized/speed maps, Deity. This is very new to me. I do use some UI mods, but I used them before.

Has anyone noticed something similar?

2. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Are you playing on apocalypse mode?

the deforestation normally goes -20/0/10/30/50, but I would not be shocked if apocalypse decided to cut out the middleman, and skip right to 50%.

3. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

No, it is normal, well, at least the current one. Nothing, and then jump to 50%.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Yes, I noticed this as well and I think there is indeed something wrong, because when the deforestation level is already labeled as "extrem", it still says that they increase is "0" (until the point is reached where it suddenly goes up to 50%):

DeforestationExtrem.jpg

The screenshot is from a non-apokalypse game with disaster intensity 0, but it was the same in my first post-NFP game with disaster intensity 4 (again outside apokalyse mode)

MrRadar likes this.
  5. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

There's definitely something busted with Deforestation now. Another game, normal mode, no mods whatsoever, same behaviour.

T277, I'm in phase III, deforestation is shown 0%:
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Next turn, T278, Deforestation now is 50%, and I have enough Climate Change points to go up one phase a turn for two turns in a row, and the "Next melt of polar ice expected" forecast at the bottom is completely off:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Elhoim, nzcamel and Pfeffersack like this.
  6. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I would recommend posting that save from T277 in the bug forum - it is exactly how it went in the two post-NFP games I reached the climate change phasis yet. Just wasn't able to pinpoint the exact turn it happened or I would have already files a bug report myself :)

nzcamel likes this.
  7. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Bug report and saves posted.

nzcamel and Pfeffersack like this.
  8. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Mine is also bugged.

9. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Thank you, guys, for reporting this in the bug forum!

I wonder: could these jumps be related to forest fires? They certainly sound like a great opportunity to “implement” a bug ...

10. bonfireg

bonfireg Chieftain

I had this happen to me in my most recent game. I had 40+ turns to the first phase of climate change, then the next turn I was less than 15 turns away from reaching the 2nd phase of climate change. The deforestation level also went from 'minimal' to 'total', although I hadn't removed any forest or woods in the past turn and as far as I could tell the AI hadn't removed the large number of forest and wood tiles remaining in their civs.

So it seems there is some issue with the deforestation level and how it is being calculated during the game.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The whole global warming thing is borked. It's a really interesting idea, but it's totally out of scale with anything remotely historical. Even if you never build a single powerplant and never chop a single tree, the greenhouse resources from units and railroads alone will still have the sea levels rising by the 1800's if not before. The game should punish excessive pollution, not ANY pollution. The game is called "CIVILIZATION", not "stay in your huts and eat berries."

It's frustrating that they added this potentially interesting Power mechanic, but at the same time made it so you can never build any of the powerplants that supply it (until you get to solar and wind farms, by which point it's largely irrelevant).

xaiviax and 8housesofelixir like this.
  12. PiR

PiR Chieftain

Globally agree that sea level rises too fast, but then who cares? You can protect your cities from it and actually the polar ice melting can be an advantage for your coastal cities close to it (able to fish there) + you can circumnavigate more easily

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

As with the issue where tech scales way ahead of historical date, it's not a gameplay issue, but rather an anti-historical annoyance. It irritates me that the Medieval era begins at 500 BC, and that sea rise from global warming begins in the early 1800's.

Especially since it would be so trivially easy to fix by just tweaking the scaling numbers.

xaiviax, PiR, Elhoim and 1 other person like this.
  14. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

15. myclan

myclan Prince

I believe it's somewhat bugged, too. In my game it also showed a extreme deforestation level, while I have never chopped a single forest/jungle/marsh. I know maybe the AI had chopped too much, but ifs effect on CO2 is 0%.

16. PiR

PiR Chieftain