Deity Challenge #10 - Maya on pangaea

Grendeldef

Trancerelic & coffeeholic
It's been almost two weeks since the last so here's a new one keeping in mind that some people wanted more basic stuff and there's an active thread about the Mayan GP priorities. Also this seems 'easy' enough a start to intrigue more players than the small, more hardcore deity bunch. Hopefully the Maya isn't overused as civ.
Nothing is cooked in settings apart from raging barbs - std pangaea 8 with all DLCs so most likely there'll be some DLC civs.

Unique Unit: Atlatlist; archer replacement with no prerequisite techs
Unique Building: Pyramid; Shrine replacement +2 faith & +2 sci
Unique Ability: The Long Count; After researching Theology, receive a bonus Great Person at the end of every Maya Long Count calendar cycle (every 394 years). Each bonus person can only be chosen once.

---add.---

Had to create an account for these pics to avoid local overload.

Attachments

• PacalStart.jpg
    PacalStart.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Pacalisti_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    878.4 KB · Views: 346
^Those were my thoughts, too as I haven't actually started playing this- I was just itching to get something fresh. Within few hours I at least know if any DLCs are needed for this but others may get ahead of me.

I wont spoil it if noone has started. But on my map an AI from across the map settled right next to me around turn 20-25 without even meeting me! Very annoying. They have no business doing that.

Wonderful! I can start playing tomorrow again, cant wait :):)

This looks like a perfect setting to try the "no ranged units massocistic challenge"?!

Maybe it is not possible though, but I will try it first :)

Awesome! :goodjob:
You beat me to it. I was thinking about same challenge myself after that thread.
I'll move the warrior east but it's highly unlikely there is something more appealing than riverside hill by a mountain.

I'm never going to finish the games I've started some time ago, am I? :D

Peter, if you pull this off, you'll be my hero forever. :D

Snow day at work!

Please advise.
Spoiler :

t73 5/6 Tradition. I settled west. There is a friggin turkish city on the east coast :thumbsdown: I built Stonehenge. I got Theo on t72. I got my own GP on t73. I can make the fourth religion. 2 turns from completing oracle.

I have 1 warrior, 5 atlatls and 2 workers. Fertility Rites. Since I went straight to Theo, I am working towards const 8 turns away.

My goal now is to obvioulsy use cbows to clear space for more cities. What GP picks would be best?

I am thinking GE>Hagia Sophia>finish religion. Most of the early wonders are gone.

To be honest my grand vision would be to get some kind of wide/ics ball rolling where I can get many cities (puppet or my own) without losing any happiness and really crank out some science later on.

Spoiler :

I only played few turns just to see who's in & who's not. Spain seems to be the only DLC civ so no biggie.
I also settled on the mountainside hill & Suleiman settled beside me on T14 and has conveniently provided me 3 workers since; other than that our war has been throwing some snowballs without serious effects on anyone. I've met everyone & Celts and Arabs seem to have the early upper hand.
I've yet to decide what to do but some sort of 4 city tradition seems likely though I have a positive problem with my capital - nice growth which I wouldn't wanna crush by building settlers and decent hammers but I'm not sure whether to try some wonders or not.
I think it's time for some snow plowing, eating & then tackle this dilemma with help of barrel of coffee - yup, my portions might seem excessive to a novice.

I made it to turn 104.

Spoiler :
I feel like I am moving too slow. I just caputed that Turkish city. I have a decent army and will move south to clear out the Dutch and make room for me.

There were no happiness picks left on religion except the peace gardens so I took that. I chose a GS and then a G Artist and planted those. I got a missionary and am slowily building faith for the second prophet

I just got education and I will do an Oxford>Navigation so I can unlock an observatory before I plant a second city to the south near theh lake.

The Celts declared on me at the same time that I declared war on Sully but they did not dare approach my city with walls befind a river on a hill with oligarchy.

I am taking Liberty as my second tree.

Decided to play along on this deity challenge and hope to get some valuable input along the way. I have played up untill turn 57. My situation is giving in the spoilers.

Spoiler :

At war with Suleiman since turn ~25, 1 worker stolen, 1 settler stolen, +8 warriors killed/2 archers

The good:
-NC finishes next turn.
-CB is only 8 turns away at current bpt, so probably 5 turns after NC

The bad:
-Low population, 6 cap, 1 in second city. (hopefully i will ally maritime shortly by killing barb camp)
-Army consists of 3 atlas, 1 warrior
-only 2 cities, hope to correct this with another settler and by taking Edine and La Venta asap with CB. Thinking about settling east of my second city and then fill up the space between the southen cities and my capital.

As i usually fail in deity games, please give some feedback!

Back in the game and @T100 it looks like this:
Spoiler :

Bought a settler T40 as soon as I had money, then build 2 more. Decent locations for cities though lacking hammers. Founded 3rd religion @T61, NC finished @T74 for which I had to buy 2 libraries so money is an issue all the time. CBs got bored staring into Ottoman land so I took 2 cities with a massive army of 4 CBs & horseman. Razed & puppeted after which I made peace since I was nowhere in a position to defend the puppeted city if an retaliation was imminent.
Tradition finished T81, MLC1 @T86 from which the GS was settled, edu T94 but just enough money to buy a single Uni. Now there're 3 Unis.

Religion is so & so - brings me money but no happiness so time will tell whether the investment pays off. Managed to get Hagia but didn't try others - others seem equally uninterested of wonders.

All in all this is too peaceful pangaea - I need wars, especially AI vs AI otherwise Harun will runaway even further.

140 ARG!

Spoiler :

Fight, fight, fight.

India built PT about 15 turns ago and Taj. Also DoW me. I am fighting the Dutch, the Turks and India at once. I need more men. My army is on its heels. My friends are Arabia and Spain, but Isabella hates the Arab. Everyone does. I maybe should denounce him. He and India are number 1&2.

I will post a screenshot later.

I used a GE to get Pisa and took another GS. I am tempted to use it to bulb Gunpowder because there is a Janissary coming at me. Either that or an academy. I will quit for now as alcohol may soon become a factor.

Johan - the thing that is wrong with your game is scouting. Try and get 1 or 2 scouts out into that fog asap!

Where is alcohol on the tech tree?

if such a thing happened, wheat should get +1 happy, possibly +1 gold and the cap should get a default -1 production for the tech. this smacks of a mod that needs to happen, haha.

Johan - the thing that is wrong with your game is scouting. Try and get 1 or 2 scouts out into that fog asap!

Yeah i usually scout very well, but i think that the Edine city right next to my capital at turn 15put me off... but your right i needed another scout or 2.

Top Bottom