1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Challenge 34 - The Celts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Enniwhere, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Enniwhere

Enniwhere Chieftain

I decided now was the time for me to stop lurking and post my first deity challenge. And i just so happened to roll the perfect start for the occation. I give you - the most... interesting... start I've rolled in a while (explore to find out why):
    Spoiler :

But wait! There's more! Friendly neighbor and a little surprise will spice this scenario a bit, and I promise you: No early Zulu.

The map is standard pace, standard settings and continents. This map seems beyond me, but I'll try it again one of these days. I look forward to seeing what kind of tricks you guys will use to beat this one!

Attached Files:

2. Copperwire

Copperwire Chieftain

Celts. Plenty of trees near .... it ... Ok, I'm game.

3. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I won't take up this challenge, but I guess settling on the SW hill is a no-brainer.

4. homegrown

homegrown Missionary of Sorenism

Well, this may be one of the reasons I don't have a deity win yet, but why would you leave a river for a non-mountained hill? I think my first move would be to move the warrior to the hill NW and see if the river wraps around, if so, I'll settle NW, otherwise, I'll probably just settle in place.

PS I'm gonna actually try this and see what "it" is.

5. Petiscator

Petiscator King

Well, because:

-With the UA, I would get +2 :c5faith: per turn instead of +1 :c5faith:

-You'd be 1 tile away of getting 3 granary resources in your city.

-Settling on hills gives +1 :c5production: , which is great. Also, more defense, which I think will be needed if this is Deity.

-I wouldn't settle NW because of the damned tundras. Instead, I'd move my warrior SW->W to see what's beyond the forests.

I'm no Deity player either, I just though it made a lot of sense, being able to get 3 forests around Edinburgh, +1 production, defense... I'd trade it easily for the river. If I had more time, I'd probably try this start... unfortunately, this is the last year of my high school, so I have to study a lot in order to get to the university I want, so, no free weekends for me :(

6. glory7

glory7 King

it's far from no-brainer.....and how can you tell that you get 3 forest tiles if you settle on SW hill? it assumes that the left tile of the hill tile is forest, which is not clear with this screenshot.

7. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I'd rather get +1 faith than +2 in my first city, actually. Gives you more time to figure out which pantheon you want since you know you're getting the first one either way.

8. homegrown

homegrown Missionary of Sorenism

Spoiler :
    Moving to the hill NW reveals the coast. No sea resources and the river mouths at a really poor spot, so I settled in place. Second city went to a hill south that grabs KSM. Third city planted on gems to the east. Notice I have no coastal city yet (it's continents too!), but Genghis has been nice enough to build Tarfan and Beshbalik on the coast for me.

That's the plan. Three city NC (around t95) with two caravans feeding Edinburgh. I'll finish Tradition around t90. Probably should have taken Liberty instead. Construction for CBs.

Spoiler :
    Go get Genghis.

My religion I got FR, Tithe, Plowshares. The 25% growth before and after I kill [redacted] while teching Astronomy should have me ready to meet the world when I do.

And about settling SW:
    Spoiler :
    there are 4 forest from the SW spot, but they are broken up by improving the deer.

Once I have this whole continent, science seems like it should be pretty easy.

9. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Great, maybe it's time to try piety start in deity :lol:

edit:
    Spoiler :
    Tried Peity start and got the 4th religion, took +1 gpt, faith buy unit.

Expand to 4 cities and build libraries for NC.

I tried to prevent Mongol from taking the city state Hanoi, but only short 1 military to block (or take it by myself). This maybe the trigger of war as I promise him not to settle closer to him, and Hanoi counts as his territory just before I settle the last city.

But no cash to upgrade 4 faith bought archers and when Mongol Dowed me finally on turn 88, it looks bad. I was planning to crossbow rush him, and he has been friendly since I sent a caravan to him. Maybe should have bought CBs as my faith per turn is ok.

I stopped here with some screenshots. Good luck!

10. glory7

glory7 King

Spoiler :

Duel environment - Not sure what is beyond Mongols, but I haven't met anyone except him so I am pretty sure that we 2 are only civs in this continent.

I spent 1 turn to get 3 forest (2 fpt). Took Goddess of hunt.

When I saw KSM and worker stealing opportunity, I went liberty. Took 2 workers from Mongolia and 2 from CS.

Science is bit slow as I don't have any sci caravans.

CB rush - sci victory seems to be the easiest way to go.

Attached Files:

11. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Spoiler :
    With 21 strength capital, CBs will die 1 per turn, I'm not sure it will work but Glory you will prove me wrong;)

12. Huntyadown

Huntyadown Chieftain

This looks fun I will try this.

Think I'm going to open honor and doing something with the UU. Celts is one of my fav civ.

13. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Celt UU only works on barbarians, don't bring them to real battle;)

14. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

You are one evil man :) Anyone who wins this one deserves a fricken medal. It's not as easy at it sounds. Here's how my first two attempts went.

Spoiler :

First try: Very similar to glory7 only I settled right away. Saw the KSM with war and licked my chops until I ran into the "friendly neighbor" lol. Sent war and scout to his cap to capture any workers/settlers to slow him down. Went lib for free settler and settled 2nd city next to KSM. Built 2nd settler and sent NE to the gem on the hill. Built archers and killed a lot of mongols but time and money is not on your side. I could only afford to upgrade to one CB and by that time he had a bunch of spearmen faceroll me and I was out of money.

Second try: Lasted longer but I know this will not work. I went tradition and built two cities. I made a caravan and traded with Genghis so I had more money to build up quite a large army. Genghis attacks Hanoi and I block his units like what glory7 did in DC33 against Shaka forcing Genghis to attack with only a few squares. It worked for a long time but in the meantime I only have him to trade with and my science is really lacking. Then Genghis comes out with a storm of Keshek and pikeman and DoWs me. Well there goes my money and science and there is no way at this point to outproduce his units so I gave up.

Going to be munching on some popcorn and be looking for glory7 updates. He always finds a way :)

Need easier ones like DC27 :)

15. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Not going to be easy! 7 CBs + 2 archers...i personnally DoWed Ghengis :cowboy: I didn't steal a worker from Ghengis(didn't have the occasion).

Spoiler :

And where is your gold for upgrades?

16. Tabarnak

Some turns later :)

Spoiler :

And now :

Spoiler :

I made peace with Ghengis(wanted to completely destroy him) when i found Maria. I was afraid that she already met him and i didn't want to completely destroy relations with her, i need her to get up from this carnage.

Why Sofia can't expand culturally there :mad:?

Spoiler :

17. Copperwire

Copperwire Chieftain

+0 culture.....

18. Tabarnak

But...why? There is an amphitheater inside.

19. peddroelm

peddroelm King

1*0.8 rounds down to 0 (puppet culture penalty)

20. Tabarnak

Thanks. I annexed and built a monument and culture jumped to 3.