1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity culture victory strategies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by bonafide11, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

This is only for PvE. The core idea of this strategy is to win CV before AI reach the enlightenment civic(or sth else). In Vanilla it was impossible in deity, but now for R&F it is completely achievable.
    • AI no longer have bonus eurekas and inspirations when new era begins
    • eras are too long, not dynamic as in Vanilla. You can get all great writers of classic & medieval with theaters rush
    • with Magnus we can rush wonders to get theater civic very quick, but AI did not know.
    • You recruit all the low price great writers, so AI can't get the left easily. Then their culture will be slower.
    Compare the domestic tourism number of the expansion with that in Vanilla in the same turn, you will find that the expansion is much lower. At T100 in deity, it can be 80+ in Vanilla, but only 30~40 in R&F. At T150, it can be 200 vs 80. So why are flight and computer really needed? In fact, at first we tried to research computer or flight, but the game was over when flight just came out 5 turns, not even computer. AI's cultural progress is toooo...o slow in R&F!

So In this improved strategy, the end of technology tree is printing press, and it saves a lot of production from campus to wonders and theaters. The main focus of this strategy is not let the AI who has the largest number of domestic to get any great merchant or get 3 great people. This 2 all trigger inspirations, which will increase his domestic tourism.

You mean why was it named “Salted Fish”? Ha ha, because the operation complexity of this strategy is very low, peace, does not need warmonger, very few cities, just spam theaters and holy sites. All have been doing are to make wonders and let your apostles die, then wait for victory. This is not an upward move, like dying slowly, in Chinese it was called “Salted Fish”. However, for the time being, this is the fastest way to win CV in our side, even faster than warmonger.

Now it looks like Magnus will nerf in the next patch. Maybe this strategy was a flash in the pan, but it won't stop the fun of exploring new strategies, right?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    civtrader6 and Copper_47 like this.
  2. LobstaBoy

LobstaBoy Chieftain

Wow thank You! That's what I was looking for, detail! I can't wait to try it for myself. I'm still a culture noob but I can see this strategy changing that. My best time to date is t248 Cv. I was trying to build everything culture related and maintain high science per turn.
    If I understand this strat correctly , science isn't too important. Or, should I say science is not the focus.Theaters and holy sites here I come. Gimme gimme dat "Salted Fish"

3. LobstaBoy

LobstaBoy Chieftain

I am so bad at this game sometimes
    . Ok, so super excited to try the strat i rushed home, booted up Civ6 and dived right in. Deity, continents, Gorgo. First goodie hut was a relic!. 20 turns later i realized i was on my own continent. Uhhhggh.
    I played it out anyway, didnt go for religion, didnt meet the other civs until post t65. This did not help my attempt at salting some fish. I wound up with an easy win but the sad fact is I still had to go Computers/Flight to finish the victory.
    I literally got ALL the writers, all but 1 g artist and all the musicians. 1 other civ had great works and they were all relics. like 8.
    I dont understand exactly how the mechanics are working against me, civs that i see with no great people, generating very low culture would still increase their defense to me by +5 to + 8 a turn midgame. I was halfway to a CV around turn 130 but couldnt finish them. I kinda felt like a donkey chasing that carrot. Cmon, just wear my damn blue jeans!
    A couple of things i learned, first you arent breaking any records going for a CV on a continent by yourself. Secondly, religion would seem to speed things up, shouldnt got one. THird, this is a great strat, my misplaying does not take away from that.
    T228 CV. Lesigh
    Ill try again tomorrow. CHeers

4. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Well depends on how big your continent is... :) If Gorgo, then certainly it is quite possible to do sub 200 playing normally (you will get computers long before then if you have a handful of good campi... but first goodie hut is a relic and you still couldn't get harvest pantheon?). What happens is if you do an early game rush, chopping everything early game to get those TS out and running festivals in the hopes of winning sub t100, when it fails, you have nothing left to chop and so you run out of steam.
    Things that will screw those strategies up, I find, is UI from CS like alcazar (if AI gets suzerainty instead of killing the CS does, the AI loves to spam those) or civ UI like ziggurats/chateaux and so forth... the AI loves to build these and they don't need any great works to have more culture generation than early game printing + books can handle. Unless you handpick your opponents and city states too... well... playing normally sometimes I got all the early era books, but still not nearly enough to finish a deity game.

I think once the civ gets an inspiration the domestic tourists (40% of culture research cost) are awarded right away despite them being nowhere near finishing researching that civic. So, for example Shaka will get hundreds of culture instantly once he forms 3 corps despite mobilization being so far away. If Pedro builds 4 carnivals... I believe he'll get a huge surge in tourists in a single turn. You might want to check out how it happened but increasing domestic tourist by 5 in a single turn means the AI got 500 culture that turn.

Religion itself does not really do much towards CV, but faith generation certainly does.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. whylom

whylom Chieftain

I highly recommend watching this play-through if you want to see a beautifully executed fast culture victory. I don't speak or read Chinese, so it was an additional fun challenge to figure out (for example) which policies he was selecting and why!

Some of the highlights:
    • The game is over before the Classical age ends.
    • Only 3 cities as late as turn 52, and no more than 7 cities (if I counted right) by the end.
    • No Holy Site until turn 34, no religion until turn 51.
    • 11 wonders, 14 Great Works of Writing, and 8 relics.
    • He makes ample use of Goddess of the Harvest pantheon + Monumentality dedication
    • The map is overflowing with Builders, chopping and putting build charges into wonders.
    • So many Agoge overflow chops that the map is also overflowing with Slingers.
    • He puts Pingala in the Oracle city (to get all the Great Writers and Scientists), Reyna in the capital (to boost tourism), and moves Magnus to where the chopping is
    • To maximize tourism from neighboring civs, he pays for open borders, sends a trade route, and spreads his religion.

Copper_47, i_imperator and Boyan_Sun like this.
  6. Pietato

Pietato Chieftain

Continents means your tourism starts hitting them much later.