1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Denmark Photojournal (of an amateur)

Discussion in 'Playthroughs and Photojournals' started by amateurgamer88, Dec 2, 2018.

1. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Hi everyone! I'm amateurgamer88. This is my first Deity game so I accept that there are chances that it can be a trainwreck. My last game as China, as shown in my photojournal, is definitely quite passive overall as I play a very OP civ. As the title suggests, I am going to play as Denmark. Do note that this is my first time playing this civ on VP so it should be interesting. Why am I playing Denmark? Well, I have been looking through various threads on this forum and noticed one discussing about how broken Denmark is. I want to play Denmark before any changes are made to see if they are indeed very OP.

I know I'm not a great player so I appreciate any advice as I want to learn more. I have many areas lacking so feel free to point them out to me. I like to improve more as I actually want to eventually win some deity matches. As a result, I'm doing these photojournals so people can see what I'm doing wrong and give me constructive criticism.

An additional note is that, due to various reasons, I have to play this game windowed so, in later eras, you'll see the various things like gold, resources and etc overlapping. I also have to lower my graphic setting so my game can run smoother. I apologize for that but it's the limitations I work with.

Spoiler Game Settings :
    Deity (8) Difficulty
    Marathon Speed
    Standard Size, 8 civs, 20 city states
    Frontier (Large Continents)
    Low Sea Level
    Strategic Balance
    No events, vassalage, ancient ruins, tech brokering and tech trading
    Disable Nuclear Weapons
    Randomized Victory
    No Carthage, Sweden and Spain (due to them showing up too often in my past games)

The Patch used in this game is 10-10. I'll wait a bit before I transition to the newer version as there still seem to be some bugs and such.

Spoiler Initial Thoughts on the Civilization :
    Viking Fury:
    Viking and Longboat Promotions make melee units very powerful against cities, especially early game when most of them lack walls to protect them. In addition, the free pillage action can be huge when it comes to withdrawing units or pushing forward faster without needing to heal the unit. Extra combat strength when fighting on pillaged tiles seems solid, though I don't know how it works on sea tiles. When attacking an enemy with coastal cities, Denmark can really shine. If embarks are necessary, the land units can get around very quickly. That extra movement can be huge for sure and imagine if you get the Great Lighthouse as well.

Runestone:
    This UB replaces the Lighthouse and provides you yields from pillaging tiles that synergizes nicely with the the Viking and Longboat promotions. It provides more food on coastal tiles than Lighthouse while not requiring a coastal city to build. I can see how these yields really add up. Faster production of units can be huge when playing on Marathon and, given how early this UB is available, those yields can take place very early on. I've played against AI Denmark and they are a nightmare to fight against for sure.

Berserker:
    A Longswordsman replacement that's available earlier and has Charge 1 promotion. It also has 3 movement which cannot be understated. I've played with Persia and, during Golden Age, that extra movement makes such a huge difference in logistics. The AI just can't react that quickly against such fast moving units, especially with the CS Berserkers possess.

Spoiler Starting Location :

Let's see the starting location.
    20181202085203_1.jpg
    My initial thoughts is moving to the forested hill to the right to get a boost to production early on. I expect barbarians to be a huge issue as I play Marathon and I'm not going Warrior first. Maybe second but definitely not first.

chicorbeef likes this.
  2. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Chapter 1: Start Exploring
    Spoiler I. Birth of Copenhagen :

I moved my Settler onto the forested hill to get a slight production boost and one wasted turn isn't that bad on Marathon. I decided to work the Fur tile first to grow a little faster while speeding up my Monument by a bit. My next citizen will definitely be working the Pearl tile because I need the gold to buy a Warrior asap. Barbarians will eventually be a problem and they'll slow my game down a lot. I will have to bring my Pathfinder back eventually to defend as well.
    20181202191403_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Talk About Annoyance :

I still wonder why England gets a spy since Ancient Era. I feel like that's a bit broken and it can really hurt whoever she's spying on. With no way of defending my capital, she can steal gold and whatever. At this point of the game, the gold can be enormous as they can get me Warriors, Archers and even Workers out faster. I guess I'm just not used to playing against her and should learn how to adjust.
    20181202192653_1.jpg

Spoiler III. There's London :

London is quite some distance from my capital. I don't expect any war in the foreseeable future but I also don't want to dawdle too long or she'll have her UU and that ship can hit quite hard. I have considered forward settling her with a coastal city near her capital but all that territory is far too flat for my liking. I really should explore more to my west to see what's available there. I might change my mind then.
    20181202192731_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. This is a Problem :

Well, I've had bad experiences playing against China on Immortal so I guess I'll get a taste of what Deity China AI is capable of in my first Deity game then. I guess one fortunate development is that she's on my continent so I can deal with her if China snowballs somewhat. I should emphasize that I met China very late so I have to assume that there are only three civs on my continent. This is going to be interesting for sure.
    20181202193018_1.jpg

Spoiler V. There's Beijing... :

If you connect the capitals of the three civs, we'd almost have an equilateral triangle. I expect there to be plenty of territory for all of us so that can be interesting for sure. At this point, I wonder if I should go Authority or not because I don't see early wars with the distances between our capitals. The AI will have quite a lead in tech so I can't expect to have an advantage there until much later. However, I don't see Tradition go very well with Denmark. Progress can sort of work but it seems to go against the playstyle.
    20181202193202_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. That's an Early Pantheon :

I'm one turn away from finishing a Shrine and there's already a Pantheon found. This is a pretty early Pantheon but this is Deity after all. I will have to play a lot more games to see if this is normal or not. The only civ I can think of capable of getting Pantheon this quickly, given that I made sure Spain can't appear, has to be the Celts with her UU. Other civs take a bit longer to get going.
    20181202193236_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Taking Authority :

I decided to go Authority after all. I don't think I'll be getting wars early on but I have three CS to my east which I will do my best to get tribute from. I expect China and England to dislike me a lot but that's their problem. My goal right now is to get ahead as much as I can. I have considered Progress but I went for that in my China game and I think I will need early hammers to get a solid start. My UU is fairly early all things considered.
    20181202193550_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. New Policy :

I've decided to go down the left side of the tree. I haven't gotten Pottery which is something I usually start with. However, I just don't feel like I benefit that much from getting Settlers too early. I went Trapping and then Fishing to get access to Fishing Boats. I don't know if that's the right choice or not but, at this point, my first Settler will come from my policy followed by what's produced in my capital.
    20181202194105_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. New Policy :

For those wondering, I actively sought out the barbarian camps to the west of my capital. There's quite a bit of land so a total of four camps spawned there. I guess I got lucky because they helped tremendously. I had an Archer and a Warrior and they easily cleared out those camps and gotten me some good culture overall. Now I can settle my second city and get started expanding outwards.
    20181202195226_1.jpg

Spoiler X. Birth of Aarhus :

I don't know how to pronounce this name so I'm relieved that I can just type it. It's a pretty good city overall with all those coastal resources that I believe will be boosted by the UB I have. I do think I want to beeline for that as soon as I finish Animal Husbandry. In the meantime, I have a lot of territory to settle west of me while I also want to get greedy and settle more to the northeast of Aarhus to secure a few key locations that can help me launch future wars.
    20181202195445_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! Will I expand aggressively or just stick with my corner of the continent? :)

Erikose and IcyAngel like this.
  3. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Chapter 2: The Pantheon
    Spoiler I. China Spamming Wonders? :

China is certainly in a position to do so with how quickly she can get policies. At the moment, she's more or less on par with me and England in policies with a slight lead. She has yet to start spamming cities like mad so I expect her to make lots of progress very quickly. England went Authority for anyone interested so she can be a potential rival for me in this game. I guess I'm glad that England didn't go for God of War or she'll get a Religion for sure.
    20181202200007_1.jpg

Spoiler II. What to Do :

I don't quite know what I want to do here. There's a lot of territory west of me and I can fit at least five cities there. I do want to see how much unhappiness penalizes in the early game because I'm usually hesitant to go below. If I want to expand like crazy, I might have to do that. There's also a part of me wanting to go greedy and expand to the east that seems quite barren since I haven't researched all the techs revealing resources yet. I'm currently researching Trade so I can get Market (to combat unhappiness) and beeline for Sailing to attempt at the Great Lighthouse and get my UB in all of my coastal cities.
    20181202200227_1.jpg

Only thing to note here is the King Solomon's Mine east of Almaty which is exceptionally far from my capital, landlocked and likely sandwiched between England and China.

20181202233459_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Which Pantheon? :

Below are the five Pantheons that are already taken. Both England and China got theirs so I'm definitely falling behind there. I was considering Goddess of Fertility for a big push for Religion since Authority gives me a lot of hammer early on and I can focus on Shrines first in all my cities. However, China took that so that won't work for me. I can't think of any solid Pantheons for my current situation so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about one they would take and why.
    20181202200234_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! I'm feeling the pressure already now that I know China is sharing a continent with me. :)

4. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

China isnt much of a threat for the almighty Denmark. One fun tip to criple your neighbour is declare war on them early and harass their nonwall secondary cities with pathfinder/scout. Survivalism 3 is enough to do this and remember the gold stolen by Viking is deducted in your enemies coffer so it makes you stronger as well as makes your enemies weaker. 2 birds with 1 stone. I wouldnt recommend doing this though, because its kinda exploit and it makes game very boring.
    Given how much land available, I would definitely going the right side of authority and expand quick. The 3rd policy will help me handle happiness and Denmark is super strong with more cities. I think god of sea would be a good choice here since you have a lot of fishing boats.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  5. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Chieftain

Why would you go right side Authority first? You'll miss out on a free Settler/a ton of Science/Culture from city founding.

God of the Sea is solid. All Creation is always a decent choice when you can capture a holy city. I am kind of curious about how you intend to tribute CS'es and raid neighbours having gone first for Fishing and then Animal Husbandry?

With that mountain range and the opportunity for a relatively isolated coastal empire I may even have considered rushing Sailing/going Progress.

6. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

I think it depends on play style. Going the leftside Im gonna drown in unhappiness if I settle too fast. Going the rightside is safer. I would go the leftside if I go for early conquest rather than settle my own cities due to limited space. With this start I will definitely rush sailing, spam settler and build runestone asap and wreck havoc with my scout :lol:.
    My style is always settling very fast to consolidate my base of cities.

7. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Chieftain

I mean, how important is happiness this early on? As long as you don't hit -10 before settling all your cities (and you can trade for luxes) I think the value of those instant yields and having your cities sooner would outweigh the value of happiness. I never even actually thought about going into Discipline before Imperium tbh :crazyeye:

I am kind of torn on whether it's better to go Progress or Authority here. I think the lay of the land and the tech path lends itself to Progress more but I don't know how hard amateurgamer wants to war and whether it's better for Denmark.

8. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

With 10 cities I will easily have more than -30 happiness if I dont have Discipline. Its a viable strategy, the 2 culture per city and reduced road maintainence can be quite good thou.
    I think progress is better for this start, without an extra tough opponent Denmark doesnt need Authority to war.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    chicorbeef likes this.
  9. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

That early pantheon could be Siam, who gets faith meeting a religious city state.

Denmark can go really, really wide, all of that land (and coastal land too) is really appealing.

10. YukiN

YukiN Chieftain

I would have gone Progress for this start since there are no immediate neighbors to fight and there is a lot of land to grab.

For Pantheon, I would go for Goddess of the Sea. It goes well with Authority. You have the extra hammers for fishing boats, a faith monopoly to offset your slower faith, and food from coastal settles to boost your lower growth compared to the other 2 trees. You should be able to settle entirely coastal for the peninsula to the West. I also expect some island settles to be noticeably improved by the Pantheon.

11. 76ers

76ers Chieftain

Aztecs most likely considering the god of war choice.

12. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

I don't like those sort of exploit and I think the Runestone is going to be extremely powerful by itself. I actually never thought of going down the right side but the happiness from that policy can certainly help. If I go God of Sea, I will need to settle my future cities with that in mind.

Tribute won't take place anytime soon given how far away those CS are from me. I have to defend against barbarians and the large territory around my cities is going to spawn a lot of them. I guess Progress could've been better here since I'll be relatively isolated but I don't like restarting a game and want to see how this ends, even if it's in defeat.

I don't know if I want to go that far. I will be spamming Settlers and building Runestones as soon as I can. As for pillaging this early on, I feel like it's really gamey and Runestone don't require that to be extremely powerful. We'll see how I play since this is my first game with Denmark.

Haha, I don't know how hard I want to war either. I will be lagging in tech and probably won't be ready when my UU comes up since my neighbors are relatively far away. I might just focus on developing my nation by making the best use of my early game hammers and transition to late game with strong infrastructure and make a push with war then. As for happiness, we'll see how far I dip and how I respond to that then.

Well, I picked Authority so I'll go with it. Progress might be better but I'm still too inexperienced to pick the easier route. Let's see if I regret this later down the road. :p

True, I forgot about Siam but it can be quite random. I'm curious to see who it is and I think the first religion found will give a good indication. As for really wide, I think I will attempt that and try to not go very unhappy.

If I get a similar situation in the future, I'll be going Progress as well. However, I do see fighting the barbarians being a bigger issue with Progress as I'll be dealing with a lot of them. As for Pantheon, I will go for that to have a stronger start for my cities. Will you settle one tile island cities if there are decent yields for it?

Ah okay, that makes sense too. However, I notice they aren't the fastest to get their Pantheon either. We'll see eventually with that first religion.

13. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Chapter 3: Snore Fest
    Spoiler I. Picking Pantheon :

From the response, it's clear that God of the Sea is the best approach forward so I picked it. I will need to settle my next few cities carefully if I want to fully utilize this Pantheon while also getting my Monopoly as soon as possible. The two might seem to go hand in hand but I apparently couldn't do math when I was playing the game to get screenshots for this update. Let's just say I didn't know how many Pearls I need for my monopoly and kicked myself later.
    20181203083907_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Birth of Kaupang :

I settled Kaupang for the relatively rich amounts of yields it can get. It's settled on a hill, not forested hill though, and I'm taking a gamble for it to expand its border to get the pearl. Sadly, it didn't do that and instead got me the horses instead. I then bought the tile with the Pearl and went on to buy a Fishing Boat as well to connect it as soon as possible. One thing I don't find myself lacking this early on is gold so I'm going to use it to my full advantage.
    20181203084434_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Critical Monopoly :

I didn't realize I only needed 4 Pearls to get monopoly (my math is awful as I thought it was 5 for whatever reason). This gives me a huge boost to my Faith since it jumped from 7 to 18. That will greatly speed up my religion and I think I have a good chance of grabbing one. In the meantime, not much else has happened as I'm developing my cities and haven't been as aggressively been expanding like crazy either.
    20181203085159_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. First Religion Founded :

Catholicism can point to a number of civs but the two I can see getting it that quickly are either the Celts or the Aztecs (unless the Aztecs take a different religion for their default). I don't think it can be Siam since he normally goes for Buddhism. Regardless, that's a very fast religion and I hope that other civs aren't going to start getting theirs as well. Otherwise, I think my odds of getting a religion will be impossible at this point.
    20181203085407_1.jpg

Spoiler V. New Policy :

I'm finally working down the right side of the Authority tree. Dominance is actually quite vital at this point because it gives me much needed science (kills usually gets me at least one turn of science). The key is actually the heal after kill because this is what enabled me to clear barbarian camps with a Warrior and a Pathfinder. I move them around and, at this point, the duo can do quite a bit of damage and they get me plenty of culture.
    20181203090053_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. China Going for More Wonders :

China gets the Pyramids which seems like an odd choice to me. She can definitely get Settlers faster and she's usually beelining for Writing to get the Great Library. At this point, I have no hopes of leading in tech as the civs seem to get ahead quite quickly. I will need TR with them if I want to catch up faster. Interestingly enough, Englad is actually leading in tech ahead of both me and China. She has a 2 or 3 tech advantage over China at this point.
    20181203090356_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Birth of Ribe :

Ribe isn't in a spectacular location but it's decent enough overall. I think I'll want to fit as many cities as possible into the space around me as I won't be working all the tiles. Those will raise my tech and policy costs but we'll see if that'll hurt me or not. There one location I can see northwest of Ribe on that hill beside the fish. I'm leaving some area in the fog of war so I can farm them for culture.
    20181203090714_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. New Policy :

My Pathfinder and Warrior duo are certainly doing their job well. I even stole a few camps from England when she only had a lone spearman clearing a camp. I think that's sufficient payment from her given that her spy is so annoying in the early game by stealing gold and sabotaging my production. I wish she either doesn't start with a spy in Ancient Era or the spies' options are limited.
    20181203093457_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Which Religion? :

I will admit that I didn't expect to get the second religion. This gives me a lot of options for sure. I'm curious what other people would take and why. I feel like I need every advantage I can get at this point with my sloppy decisions so far. A quick note is that England stole the Great Lighthouse from me. I had 2 turns left so that sucks.
    20181203094714_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! I expect a series of major expansions coming up as I transition over to Settler production in at least two of my cities. :)

14. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Chapter 4: Maybe Nerf this Founder Belief?
    Spoiler I. Picking Religion :

It seems like people are stumped as to what I should take since I got no suggestions. After some thought, I wanted to try Council of Elders. I took it with China where I was really ahead. I wanted to see how strong it is if I take it when I'm behind. I'm behind in tech compared to both China and England while, policywise, I am on par of China and ahead of England by one. I don't expect that to last long. I also picked Scholarship because I find Science to be a weaker aspect for Authority if I'm not warring which I'm not for the time being.
    20181204181912_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Birth of Viborg :

I settled a city that's going to be alright. I kind of mistimed my Work Boat or it would be in position to connect the Fish for Viborg immediately. I guess I never paid attention but you apparently don't get any Pantheons in your new cities once you get a religion and have to spread your religion to get the Pantheon and the Religion to it. That's going to slow down my faith output for sure.
    20181204182303_1.jpg

Spoiler III. All Religion Founded :

Whoever got Catholicism is snowballing like crazy and I don't like that one bit. 19 cities is a lot to convert over and I'm terrified. Even the civ with Buddhism has gotten an enormous headstart on me and I think that can be Siam. The only good news is that China didn't get a religion so I'll be working quickly to spread mine to her. Soon, we'll be best friends and she'll distract England while I conquer all the English cities. Hey, does Danish Vikings pillaging English lands sound familiar?
    20181204185315_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Completing Authority :

I decided to hold off my settling until I finished my tree since that will give me a pretty big boost in combat strength and the conscription can help me get troops in all my cities to give me more happiness and culture. I think that I will likely go for Statecraft next to get more gold. That's the reason why I went Scholarship instead of Thrift. Statecraft will solve my gold issues and help me maintain CS allies to the east of me as they will help me with my war against England in the future.
    20181204190900_1.jpg

Spoiler V. A Wonder...Finally!!! :

I grabbed the Roman Forum because I think I do want to get CS allies early this game. Tributes are bread and butter for Denmark but I don't have enough units to get tributes while defending against barbarians that are spawning. I have a couple more cities to settle before they won't be a problem anymore and, to be honest, I'm getting some decent yields so far (just need to get TR up as well).
    20181204191853_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. Hope It's a Stalemate :

China was asking me to attack England but I refused on the basis that I know there are a few English units all over the map and I need to move my Emissaries and Missionaries around without hindrance. The random spawning barbarian camps are already making things trick so I don't need to add more difficulty for myself. If their war ends in a stalemate, I'll get stronger because I'm building up my infrastructure a lot right now.
    20181204192339_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Another Wonder! :

This must be my lucky day! I invested in this Wonder and converted one city in the process and managed to nab it. I think I got lucky here since I think the Deity AI is certainly focusing on these Wonders by now. Even Immortal difficulty sees this cutting it somewhat. Right now, I'm seeiing the Elder of Council as really powerful because it got me a number of techs and these Wonders in a very short time. It's just so incredibly powerful that it's almost broken.
    20181204192503_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Let's Grab More! :

I had it available and the extra production would be so wasted on other buildings. You might have noticed that only 4 turns passed between this Wonder and the hanging Garden. After investing in the Wonder, I converted two cities which yielded me around 500 production overall. I also shaved off 11 turns on Drama and Poetry with those same conversions which is massive this early on. That's almost 3 turns shaved off on Standard over a period of 1 turn.
    20181204192831_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Should I Settle This? :

I'm questioning if I want to settle this location. I'm normally not a big fan of settling islands that are vulnerable to naval attacks since the enemy can easily encircle your city and blockade it. I just want to see if people would settle this or not. For me, it's certainly an option if I wanted it but it's not a priority. I still have a few more cities to settle on my continent that will help prevent anymore barbarians spawning because barbarian horsemen are so annoying to deal with.
    20181204193958_1.jpg

Spoiler X. Alright, Let's Nerf That Belief!!! :

Not only did Elder of Councils got me Drama and Poetry so much quicker but it was enough to get me the Parthenon. I'm currently on par in policies with China and ties in tech with England. I know this isn't a great comparison but, at the start of this update, I trailed England by at least 4 techs and had no Wonders because England stole the Great Lighthouse from me. I still have a number of my own cities to convert and I might get the Oracle too. We'll see next update.
    20181204194351_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! What will be the outcome of the war between China and England? :)

15. YukiN

YukiN Chieftain

I will settle 1 tile islands if there are good tiles and I expect to have naval dominance in the region. Being up to date on defensive buildings and having a garrison also gos a long way naturally. Vulnerability isn't an issue if no one can exploit it.

For religion, any spreader belief, such as Council of Elders, Transcendence and Holy Law all can be good given how early your religion is. The yields for Elders and Holy Law also line up quite nicely for war while being more flexible than Hero Worship. Transcendence is a lot of yields and you founded early enough to get the Classical Era proc. I would go for one of three spreader beliefs I listed since Hero Worship is not likely to be that much better even when you are conquering the world given your faith generation and early religion.

For follower I would take Scholarship. Food and gold are very nice at 1 per follower but you don't really need those. For gold you and can raid others and have good natural income. For food you have coastal settles which are naturally food heavy and Goddess of the Sea. Science and Culture are what you want, and Scholarship is better than Inspiration on 10-10. I would not pick a building first as you want to get yields now from your early religion and from spreading. You'll probably have good options later anyway.

Edit: I see you have already chosen religion, but I agree with your choices.

I would settle Rock for sure, and quite early. Natural wonders are strong and Rock has the most yields on a single tile of any. The fish and sheep are also nice, and there might even be oil later. The AI wouldn't be able to threaten by sea early on and when they can, you should be able to destroy them. You are Denmark playing a heavily Naval start, do not fear.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. mikes61293

mikes61293 Chieftain

I don't think the enemy will be able to blockade that island since there is land adjacent to the city. I'm not sure how mountains impact blockades though.

17. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Chapter 5: Business as Usual
    Spoiler I. Getting the Oracle :

With the power of Council of Elders, I grabbed myself the Oracle and got a nice bit of culture and science. I have a feeling that, if I delay any longer, it will be taken as this is Deity. On Immortal, I might be able to delay until Medieval to get more yields overall. For now, I'm just happy that I'm getting some Wonders and free buildings like the Temple in my capital.
    20181204231558_1.jpg

Spoiler II. A Stalemate? :

China got Newcastle while England got Tianjin. Newcastle traded hands a few times so its population is only one. I don't know if there's an obvious winner here but I feel like I can't stay passive for long. I have to take advantage of one of their future wars to take a few English cities. I need to snowball more heavily in terms of military as well because I'm not exactly using Authority to its strength. To be honest, I'm probably playing it wrong and should've gone Progress.
    20181204231842_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Who Needs Tribute? :

Instead of getting a large enough army to demand tributes from these CS, I allied them instead since it's faster and I am going for Statecraft after Authority. They are actually giving me good yields overall so I can't complain. One provides me with steady amounts of Faith, another Culture and the last one free units. If I do go to war with England, they will be taking the brunt of the English attacks and I can support to steadily whittle down English units.
    20181204231956_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Going Statecraft :

I have considered the other two options but they don't quite fit. I don't know when I'm going to war and Fealty doesn't feel that powerful since my current faith output gets me Missionaries quick enough. I do plan on getting a faith building with enhancing my religion but that's some time away. For Artistry, I don't see it fit really well in my playstyle. Statecraft allows me to get more gold which can be huge with the number of cities I'll be settling. Those Spies can be helpful if I want to catch to in tech to the snowballing AI.
    20181204232024_1.jpg

Spoiler V. Get a Great General :

I haven't been able to complete very many clear encampment quests. I completed a few but the first General seems quite difficult to get. Great Wall is the fastest way for me to get one and will help me with defending my future captured cities easier. At this point, I have to wonder if I want to go heavy on navy or have a balanced navy and army to fight England. I also need the right techs to give myself a strong edge.
    20181204232734_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. Birth of Jelling :

I have finally made my way to the peninsula of this continent and settled another city. At this point, I am considered two other cities. One northwest of my capital which isn't great by whatever means but it will prevent AIs from settling it. Another will be the island with the Natural Wonder nearby. I know I'm delaying those but I have a lot to build and it's hard to find time for those Settlers, especially when my capital is busy all the time.
    20181204232809_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. The Hagia Sophia :

I was the first to reach Medieval Era which just shows how broken Council of Elders is on this difficulty. I grabbed it for the Great Prophet while the stronger Missionary strength is nice too. I probably won't be going for Borobudur since I know I'm close to converting China to my religion and I won't be expending more as England has her own religion. I'd rather spend time and effort building up my military soon.
    20181204234024_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Enhancing Religion :

What should I pick? I think I want a faith building that helps with Distress so the Synagogue is a good choice. I'm a little surprised to see it still available but I'm not complaining. As for the enhancer, I went Iconography because I want to both deny the AI from getting it and I think I might need it. I have a feeling the civ with Catholicism is really ahead so I need some way to competing. I can always steal techs to catch up quickly but it's just not possible to keep up in policies until I go into a lot of wars. This will help even the playing field a bit.
    20181204234158_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. I'm on Par? :

I got to Medieval first and it's nice to know that I'm roughly on par with the leading civ. I don't know how that civ is doing in other department but I do suspect that civ to be first in a bunch of categories. For now, I'm working on improving my production so I can transition into war production very quickly. Chivalry is almost done so I expect to get at least a couple Knights. Knights, Berserker and a strong navy should be devastating against England, at least I hope so.
    20181204234448_1.jpg

Spoiler X. A Capital Lost! :

I don't know if there is actually a Rome or not but some AI is snowballing and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Catholic civ. I need to hurry up and get a powerful military together because I don't think England and China are on very good terms for the time being. China is quite helpful since I can get lump sum of gold from her to help speed up buildings and Wonders. I just have to make use of the timing to really jump ahead.
    20181204234607_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! Will we shift into military production soon? :)

18. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

I went Council of Elders and it seems so broken. I might want to try Transcendence or Holy Law next to see their power. Hero Worship is great if I'm already at war and taking cities. In this case, its benefits are too slow for my liking. As for Follower, I was actually considering the one that gives you production based on your population. I didn't pick that because I feel that Runestones will cover that area and Council of Elders is going to benefit my capital greatly.

I will settle that as soon as I can. I'm just in that weird stage where I'm building up a military from scratch as I've neglecting it for infrastruture.

I was thinking of settling on the sheep since it will get me all the fish and the Natural Wonder. As for mountains, they just remove a tile you need to blockade a city, as least that's what I've seen in my past games.

19. Paramecium

Paramecium Chieftain

Im not sure if I would settle the Natural Wonder. First, the Atoll and one Fish is too far away. Second, I think you cant settle exactly right of the Natural wonder, that one comes as a 2 tile Wonder if I remember correcly, one tile very juicy, the other one is completly unusable. And settling on that Barb Camp (tundra forest) would lose the Fish in the South West. I might only settle that Wonder if I am wrong about the second tile of it, if not I am not that sure if the wonder and one fish and one tundra hill sheep is enough to justify a city, maybe for specialists, but I personally try to avoid to settle such cities ...

20. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

What's wrong with Council of Elders, again? Too many yields? <Gets out nerf bat>

G

YukiN and Minh Le like this.