1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Domination Challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by ABigCivFan, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Chieftain

Domination/Conquest on Deity Pangaea is one of the most difficult victory one can achieve. So here is a challenge game for everyone. All victory types are enabled for the AIs, but you must win via Domination/Conquest.

Leader is Liz of England. She is one of the strongest leaders with a very good draftable UU.

Starting Tech: Fishing/Mining

UU: Redcoat with +25% bonus against gunpowder units
    UB: Stock Exchange +65% gold

Here is the starting location. Gold in BFC, Gem nearby, very strong from the first glance.

Settings:

Enjoy!

2. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Chieftain

Turn 1:

Spoiler :

Moved warrior 1SE reveals flood plain. Now we have a choice to move the settler 1 NW to get both Gold and Gem in BFC or settle in place to keep the flood and fresh water and later levee bonus. Since this will be a long domination game and I am inclined to settle in place to get more food and all those long term rive side bonuses.

3. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

I think I'll play this and post my failure tonight. You don't fool me with your gold/gems/corn/Liz though.
    I look forward to being brutalised by whatever you have lying in wait.

4. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Chieftain

I generated this game like 10 minutes ago. we have gem, but also jungle up north. Not sure if this one is winnable. But the idea is keep trying until we get a Domination win. :D

5. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

It seems an interesting and powerful start. Could you please attach a WB save? I can not open it with 3.17 patch.

6. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

yeah, I'm currently downloading the 3.19 patch and trying for a dual install to play this, but a WB save would work too.

7. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Chieftain

Added WB save to the 1st post.

8. JBossch

JBossch Chieftain

Ok I'm in. My masochistic streak is begging me to give this a try. I will post a progress (or death) report tomorrow.

9. JBossch

JBossch Chieftain

To 1AD:

Spoiler :
    I dont know if there is any hope for this game. I settled in place and (barely) managed 6 cities but Ghandi and JC are so close. Also, the land is really food-poor. I still haven't started running any scientists yet b/c there is no good GP farm. Beaker rate is good due to the gold and gems and financial trait but so is the AI's tech rate. I am 1 turn from CS but most AIs already have it. Tough to see how I win this in any VC, much less domination. I will wait to see if anybody does anything better with this.

Attached Files:

10. Inso

Inso Chieftain

Might be good for a laugh, everyone should post to what date they manage to survive until.

11. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

Although the chances of it being me are low, somebody *will* win this...not just "last until x".

12. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

I've played a bit and this one is quite winnable.

Spoiler :
    Started with a worker steal from ceasar to try and slow him down and took two cities (but not the capital) before he managed to bring praetorians on line.
    I've sued for peace while I finish blocking him off. I have room for 12+ cities.
    Will post a full report soon.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

1 AD

Spoiler :

Settled in place. AG then BW/other worker techs ----> aesthetics.

Cranked a lot of settlers using gold to pay for it (seriously, I had 5 cities and few workers briefly).

Hut luck is OK could be better.

But THIS kind of thing is nice.

And at 1 AD

JC's worst enemy is Gandhi. I'm still amazed by deity tech rate but hope to snipe some cities off Gandhi when/if (more like when) JC declares on him. Researching compass since it is a monopoly tech and will get good returns on it. Hopefully I can partial research civil service enough immediately after to get that online.

It feels like I'd be really strong on any other difficulty, even though I'm not looking great here. Starting on scientists in the fish city since there really doesn't appear to be a good GP farm and gandhi went for lit pretty early to null chances for TGL.

If I can get a philo bulb trade and broker compass a little I can probably work a war on gandhi, unlock heroic epic, and move on. I hope.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

Game over, ~ 600 AD

Spoiler :

GANDHI declared on me, with a full set of medieval techs. I jumped the gun and went after him with the stack I'd been building, but apparently 30 classical (and some few medieval) troops isn't enough. I took a city but the counter-SoD did too much damage to me.

Also, he bribed zara after me, and that was that. Whenever Zara ultimately showed up, I was toast.

15. Kadazzle

Kadazzle Chieftain

Heh, that was fun while it last.

Spoiler :

I lost Liberalism race at 300 AD to Ghandi and quit afterwards (Was 4 turns away from Education + a GS (To bulb Liberalism)). I settled my first two cities aggressively towards Ghandi then blocked off Julius and settled the rest of the back-land. Taking one of Julius' first workers is really the way to go here, as he'll stay pleased with you later in the game, and the early worker really helps to pump out those settlers.

I may try this again later, but I don't plan on succeeding anytime soon.

16. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

175 AD

Spoiler :

-disclaimer- I took a mulligan when Romans popped Iron in the BFC of their capital (after I had deprived them of their only source of metal) and I did play the reloaded turns better the second time around.

The worker steal isn't something I normally do on Deity but this opportunity was too much to pass up, I also had a fair idea that if I managed to slow the romans down enough I should be able to claim some of that tasty jungle/gems for myself.

First settled city to claim the copper and cows. I kicked myself a few turns later when I revealed the stone I could have claimed by settling further west, but oh well.

Claimed the two extra gems and self teched Ironworking (something else I very rarely do), both so I could clear the jungle and also to bring some swords into the fray against the romans who were still fielding archers. By now I figured I had a good shot of actually taking out so went for the "delayed sword rush" that TMIT was asking about in an earlier thread.

Mansa gifted me Alphabet... (don't have the screenshot). I wasn't about to complain.
    Self teched Aesthetics and traded it around a bit. Picked up Math and a few minor techs.

Iron in the capital BFC let's me bring swords into the fight. I start capturing his cities fairly cheaply. He still has only archers.

The city is mine, along with two unfortunate workers who happened to be lurking nearby. I actually was happier about getting the workers than I was about the city.

I move a few troops to the capital to see if he left it lightly defended, the shock axe scares me away, and is the first metal unit I see from him. I divert my troops to the recently settled city in the east to try and take out his metal supply. (it's the most likely place for it to be), since his other cities have been around much longer and he would have hooked it up by now. Turns out he had Iron there which I was glad to get rid of after dealing with the couple of praetorians.

There was a brief pause in the war here, while I healed up my troops in preparation for the assault on the capital (I lured his axe out earlier with one of my own axes and got lucky with the rng)

The capital is mine.

While the war is going on I'm teching towards literature for the GL, I swap to castes for a couple of turns to pop the roman borders to claim the marble. A few chops net me TGL in my capital. I didn't have a better place for it.
    At that point the romans were broken and it was just cleanup of the minor cities.

At 175AD my territory is looking like this

12 cities with room for 6 more, judging by how much land I still have to the east.

Maintenance is killing me and my tech situation is pretty bad. I'm hoping the TGL will help drag me back out of it with some key bulbs while I try and get my land properly developed. The AI tech rate is pretty insane though.

17. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

Played until 1000AD, I'm falling further and further behind. Not giving up yet though, have good diplo with the other AI so I'm pretty safe. Will try for a late game Inf/Arty war.

18. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Chieftain

@PK

With enough landmass, Emaciation cottage spam (which you are probably running already) can pull you back in a hurry. Internet is the key here, The power of Internet will allow late game crucial war bribes. It will be extremely difficult to win a domination here without getting the AIs fighting among themselves late game.

19. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

To 75BC

Spoiler :

I usually want my capital has at least 5+ food plus, really don't like to cottage this capital, however can't resist the temptation of financial trait.

Tech:

Beeline to Pottery and Alpha -> Currency->...Music->..CS

Capital:

Worker->Warrior->2nd Worker at size 3->Warriors->Settler at size 4->Settler...

This is probably the earliest time I reach a tech parity due to the gold and financial trait.

I can't remember last time I saw Gandhi DOW someone else, especially so early.

Marble trade from JC with 26g and that slow down my teching a lot, however it worth of the gold, I grabed those important marble wonders much quicker.

75BC Empire of 6 cities, room for another 2. CS is in and again use the free GA from Music for the 1st golden age and did some free civic changes.

75BC Tech. Not too bad, those deity guys teching are really fast. However, the lib race should not be a problem.

Attached Files:

20. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I got 3 techs from huts. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

I'll need to use my second or third warrior to explore the remainder of that fog to the west. Hopefully I can plop down a second city by the copper and get axes ASAP.

Oh, and an update ... I have a question.

Spoiler :

Should I?

Keep in mind that I have only warriors as my army so far. I guess I'll need to connect the copper ASAP and build axes before JC gets praets.