Deity domination win

Mystz0r

Chieftain
Hello guys!

I need inspiration! Recently, I've played a lot of games on Deity on a Pangae map, standard size and random leader. I've come to a point where i consistently survive the early rush and get enough troops to defend myself indefinitly. So far, so good.

However I have a very hard time counter-attacking. Whenever I go on the offensive, I'm just so hideously outnumbered, that I can never beat my enemies.

At what time do you normally go from defense to offense? Do you bee-line certain techs to do so? What units are the most vital before you go?

Any input is appreciated, as I will most likely be hitting my head against the wall in my new-started game right about... now!

Thanks in advance!

I haven't made the leap to Deity yet, but I do know that MadDjinn has some outstanding Let's Plays on YouTube which should help with your dilemma.

I've heard of using stealth bombers 10 to 20 of them and then dropping paratroopers in to capture cities.

Look in the strategy forum for Snarzberry's stealth bomber thread. I've never tried a domination win at Deity...so I can't really help. The stealth bomber rush was set up for vanilla, not sure if it's viable for G and K.

The SB rush is no longer viable in GnK for two reasons....Stealth is further up the tech tree, and the policy that gives you 2 free techs has been moved to the finisher for Rationalism.

That being said, I have had a tremendous amount of success in rushing to conventional bombers...I can consistently get them out before the AI has enough fighters/AA to counter.

This is also an indirect boost to America, their UU is awesome.

Mystz0r, you just described my preferred settings pretty well. Unique units (e.g. Hoplites, Legions+Ballistas, Mohawk Warriors, etc) help tons in the early game. Otherwise, you might want to get pikemen before you go on the offense. I've pulled off successful wars with just catapults, but those were cases when my neighbors didn't concentrate on military.

To wear down enemy forces, I concentrate on fighting defensive wars, using smart citadel bombs, and abusing the city ganking method over and over again. If all goes well, you should be able to eliminate 2-3 neighbors by industrial. If you're at tech parity with the leader, then the rest of the game shouldn't be too bad. Otherwise, you'll have your work cut out for you, although it's still possible to win a war while being an era behind and outnumbered.

Two pieces of advise. You really cant go about invading people randomly in Diety like other levels, its best to wait until a war breaks out and pick a side, let them two zombie hordes kill eachother. Or go after a really weak neighbor. In my experience, Diety civs love to declare war on eachother, so this shouldnt be much of an issue. My hardest games have been where no wars break out at all and the civs are just running away.

Second thing, based on your complaints of the numbers of enemy troops Im curious if you might not be building enough ranged units. I dont know if this is overboard, but I typically have my ranged units outnumbering my melee units almost two to one (probably like 5 range units for every 3 melee units). Use your melee units as shields, they should usually only be used offensively when you just need that extra boost to take something down, or if they get within range of a weak range unit.

Also, I love to go raiding behind enemy lines with horsemen. Diety = unlimited gold in general.

Top Bottom