Deity Fun

Fippy

Mycro Junkie
Here you go GJ ;)
This could play out not so easy i think, but your start is also not bad.
Spoiler :
Cyrus, standard settings and no edits have fun ~~

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    32.6 KB · Views: 54
Looks like a seaside plains hill 1N of your scout, another plains hill 2W1N of the scout.

Thanks a lot, Fippy!

Finally, a start for the often-overlooked Calendar beeline...

Going well, not sure if I'm able to win this, but still have a decent chance. Lets start of by listing the positives:
Spoiler :
-Fairly foodrich land
-Very nice spot for beuro capitol if you settle right
-Not sucicidal neightbours
-The resources are diverse
-We have both horses and iron (big YAY)
-No runaway AI techwise (all beeing between 250-300 BPT)

And the negatives:
Spoiler :
-Only 1 happy resource and thats a calendar one (seriously, wth is up with that)
-Boxed in quickly, so only got 6 cities, only 3 of them which are good "on their own"
- traits, could really do with financial or philosophic here, even spirutal would be nice
-Only 1 river
-A mega Roman empire and he got ALOT of resources (judging by what he will trade)
-Not much whipping potential

Highlights:
Spoiler :
Good start without any barbarian problems (thank you deity starting units that FOGed for me). Southern barb city spawned in good location south, but was quickly taken by the Mongols (curse you deity military discount). Rexed to 6 cities ASAP to avoid getting too boxed in. Went with the usual aesth and compass trade bait. Napoleon went into WHEOOH around 2000BC, but luckily attacked the Mongolian. They have been in a non-productive war since.

@1AD
Spoiler :
256BPT@-51GPT, enough gold for 8 turns (750). max potencial in near future of around 300BPT. Should win me the lib race and get MT fairly quick. Nice size 14 capital producing 168 of those BPT. 1 GS coming in 8 turns (bulb education?). 1 turn left for paper. Goal: war with cuirassiers, not sure against whom.

Land @1AD
Spoiler :

Any criticism or tips mostly welcome!

save using BUFFY 3.19.003

Attachments

• Georgy AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    180.6 KB · Views: 38
My game is going quite similar to Solyaris' one, although my 6 cities are placed quite different!

I'm curious to see what's up with the Calender beeline? I played a normal game (aka trade for it later)

I SIP'd, thought about moving on the silk for more river tiles, but it is quite obvious the unforested foggy tiles have to be resources. By moving you risk losing possibly your only food resource.

Spoiler :

Funny event: My starting scout survived the early turns and was used as a fogbusted. Also, I built 1 immortal, for barb defense. After they weren't needed for those purposes anymore, the both of them scouted out almost the entire world!

I'm really liking this game so far. The warmongers are teching faster then the techers :crazyeye: It's one of those nice builder games with good land, a great capital, great resource trade possibilities, lot's of fun to play!

Here's some screenshots from 1 AD:

Land:

I have room for 2 more cities: 1 spot on the western coast, and one spot on the white dot in the south (I can steal that tile within a couple of turns from mansa). It won't be a great city, but diplo is a bit tricky this game, and if I'm going to get attacked, the southernmost city is likely the first target. That gives me time to quickly get some defenses up in the cities that matter.

Cities:

I just switched to bureau and org. rel. (no state religion, but for the missionaries. AP was built some turns ago in buddhism).

Techs:

Lots of wfyabta. Nappy is not however, he just 'doesn't want to start trading this tech that everyone and his granny knows just yet'. Researching lit before paper, to pick up some more money from the AI's

Resource trades:

One of the more complicated ones, I'm selling away my single resources, only to then import them again from some other AI haha. Nice income though.

And diplo, if you feel like figuring this out:

Lots of warring going on, diplo is a bit difficult because of having to decline requests about religion, war joining, got a couple worst enemy trading ones too. Selling techs for cheap helps though.

My 6 cities and early game description:

Capital:

Yummy bureau cap. Starting techs were:
- AH for the pigs (and possibly the UU)
- wheel-pottery for cottaging those 5 floodplains ASAP. Also to fund some REXing, pangea maps are usually crowded
- archery (could have skipped in hindsight, but at least all my city defneders are longbow-upgradable archers now)
- mining-BW for some imperialistic settler-production
- fishing-writing to get an academy up
- aesthetics and drama for trade bait. All my other techs come from these 2 techs (Except, put 1 turn in a couple of techs, and got feudalism from CS)
- Now researching lit for selling, then paper-halfbulb education and see from there.

2nd city:

Founded in 2560BC, immediate TR on river, first used for helping to grow the floodplain cottages before becoming a production city.

Running some artists to claim the white dot tile and settle the decoy city there in case of war. Even ran 1 turn @ 100% culture, to both pop this citiy and the capitals borders a couple turns earlier than they would have.

3rd city:

Settled 2000BC, purely to grab the horses ASAP. Only decent tiles are rice and horse, so locked the city up to pump out my 2nd GS, probably bulb education.

4th city:

Meh, but it's low maintance and has a food source and iron.

5th city:

Also meh, but don't want mansa taking it and splitting my empire in two

6th city:

This one has some potential, probably place the nat. epic here. and or moai. and or globe. we'll see.

Attachments

• Georgy AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    194.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Georgy BC-0875 library up.CivBeyondSwordSave
    141.9 KB · Views: 36
I SIP'd, thought about moving on the silk for more river tiles, but it is quite obvious the unforested foggy tiles have to be resources. By moving you risk losing possibly your only food resource.
Spoiler :

I moved my scout 1NE so I saw the corn before moving to settle on silk. Else I would have just SIP

I think you are in a better position, just have slightly more land with 2 more food resorces (southern city) does wonders in a situation like this. I was never able to capture that site (was planed as my 4th city), because a barb city spawned some turns before the settler was ready. Ofc it was taken by an AI within 20 turns xD

Fun map, Fippy. Please stop eating up my free time. :o

At 1 AD:

Spoiler :

Poor Mali, with only 4 cities. :lol:

This map seems more manageable than the others in the series (i.e. no need to go for something as desperate as Axes + Catapults...).

The Calendar beeline was only a joke, seeing as there are only Calendar ressources visible from the start. Though the Mausoleum wonder is pretty good anyway.

Will post an update later on.

Hmmm well i looked for a map with reasonable tuff AIs (cept Mansa, he's the funny side show ;) ). Finish this one GJ and i promise you something bone breaking next..!

Solyaris yep JC he's big in your game, think you should collect Mansa's stuff first for more whipping potential. Good plan farming your cities like Pasa, grow them big :)

I might stop growth in your Cap (could take one last to 15), it's big enuf and give Corn to Tarsus esp. cos you still need a forge whipped here. I think it's smart if you also trade some food res. away for gold (currently 11/turn JC). More pop here is too expensive, costs you gold every turn cos only your Cap has use for food resources.

Since everyone is posting pictures of 1AD, might as well (though it's not that different)...

Spoiler :

But...

Spoiler :
Mansa's culture from his religious city just stole my horses! And no-one will trade them with me...

So I just researched Nationalism for nothing, and can now Lib only Printing Press (for Rifling) or Gunpowder/possibly Chemistry (for Steel). Might still work since Napoleon and Julius are just having their second round of war (with Mansa involved as well since he vassaled to Julius voluntarily).

Attachments

• Kyrus 1AD.jpg
    Kyrus 1AD.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 574
I've played along to 300 BC but probably made too many mistakes (not teching writing soon enough, for one). Will start over and try again.
Spoiler :
Wow Mansa is not popular in this game. He scrapes by at the bottom of the score board, being worst enemy of everyone but churchill

I lost Liberalism (for Chemistry) by three turns to Churchill. Twenty turns later, he's still the only AI that has Education :rolleyes:.

So this had better work...

Spoiler :

Conditions are good...

Spoiler :
Julius just went for the third round against Napoleon, this time even taking a city. I worried about Nappy vassaling until both Qin and Kublai joined forces with him, not worried about Julius who has Mansa as vassal and an incredible amount of Praets and Knights.

Attachments

• Kyrus Cannons.jpg
    Kyrus Cannons.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 488
@georgjorge

A 4/5 city Mansa will fall easily to a medieval army, and in truth you only need to take one of his cities. You should put together a stack of Catapults and capture his holy city before going to war with Cuirassiers. Don't worry about losing multiple Catapults: they will be dead weight once you have Cuirassiers.

Can you trade for Elephants? If so, grab them, and you can insta-upgrade a stack on the very turn that you get your horses back.

Edit: ha! My advice is too late. :(

Mansa has been vassal of Julius pretty much all game, which kept me from attacking him...but just now I realize that while I would be at war with Julius, he wouldn't actually be able to get past Napoleon's territory. Maybe that would have worked, though there was always the possibility of Julius (AP resident) calling a holy war of him, Nappy and Qin against me.

Cannons will work just fine. :) And in my game, Napoleon peace vassaled to Julius, not Mansa. I would have been reluctant to get into an early war with Rome too, even with Napoleon serving as a buffer.

-----

My game, played to 840 AD:

Spoiler :

Deity fun lives again!

You all seem to be in winning positions already. On Pangaea's religion spread can create both easy and extremely hard maps for the same settings.

With this much food, some food from the capital should be shared with the second city. That makes everything else faster. Low happy and also health (due to FPs) and no double resources would call for an early push to Monarchy, but this is Pangaea and you could easily trade for it, I guess.
Cuirs/Cavalry+Airships later on win this map quite easily and early. Early cannons are also GG, as always, I'd research Astronomy with capture money and speed up the conquest [Small map, all close by].

Nice too see you all again.:)

Bye bye!

Played a bit further:

Spoiler :

^^^ made a brief ceasefire, and Kublai peace-vassaled to Qin. Whoops. I declare war again anyway:

Wiped out a few of Qin's stacks so far.

England, France, and Rome all have Rifles and Grenadiers, so I'll go after China as long as I can get away with it. He's still using medieval units, and to judge from the tech screen (no RP), will go to Grenadiers before Rifles.

The game should be won. ;)

Top Bottom