Deity Level King

D

DarkCloud

Deity Level King of Idiocy

I had decided to try a game of Deity Civ in the year 1999- the first time since I had bought the game in 1996. The reason for this was to prove a point to an acquaintance that a certain strategy will work for you no matter what your difficulty setting. The strategy was for me to found my main city and then create four settlers who would settle cities on all sides of my main city, which would then produce offensive units. The other cities would produce two to three phalanxes before creating a new settler who would build a road and found another city and so on.

I played the game as the Americans and decided to make the game as hard as I possibly could, setting the other nations to be the warlike Mongols, Zulus, Carthaginians, Germans, Spanish and Roman. I also set the map size to small and created a tiny island where I placed all civilizations within 10 squares of each other, so war would be inevitable.

And it was, when I had founded five cities in the format which I had laid out the Mad Carthaginians overwhelmed Boston and proceeded to attack Washington to no avail as the three phalanxes and one warrior easily defended Washington against the cruel Carthaginian charioteers.

So the Carthaginians broke off the attack and 8 turns later, a couple of my catapults walked in and conquered Utica, angering the Carthaginians who could not do anything because of my strong defenses and the Roman legions who were attacking them. However, the legions were now attacking three of my newest cities, conquering Dallas and leaving me with only 9 cities.

Yet, I now decided to expand north into the land of the Germans who had not advanced much in the years, so I easily took two cities with three catapults, but after losing the catapults had no attack methods left as my elephants were away defending my Roman frontier.

Meanwhile the Zulus and Spaniards were locked in a deadlocked battle that ultimately ended in a stalemate because my American forces swept down upon the almost conquered Zulu and Spaniard cities and quickly took two of them, then made peace with the Spaniards, but not the Zulu who wanted the Polytheism tech.

During all this time I had been trying to make peace with the Carthaginians who had provoked the first war with me. Eventually, I submitted to their demands and game them 200 gold. The Germans declared peace with me and I was safe for a time. But, having neglected the Romans to the South, and having pulled forces out to defend my borders the Romans, seizing the day “Carpe Diem” took another one of my cities before I could retaliate.

The Germans then allied with the Romans and declared war on me, however, I destroyed the German civilization and captured their three cities, while losing two to the Romans. During this time the Carthaginians had annihilated the Zulus and the Spanish had fallen to the Germans and Zulus. So now I was faced with the evil Romans, mad Carthaginians, and strangely enough peaceful Mongols (or so I thought: During a cheat I saw the Mongols had been eating away at the Roman Empire, preventing the Romans from destroying me.)

So my meager civilization was faced with destroying two, until now, unstoppable juggernauts.
I defied the Carthaginians, knowing that they were the least powerful of the two with whom I shared borders and found myself the target of a three-pronged alliance.

Despite my numerous cities and complete control of the north-central part of the map, I began losing cities right and left. Atlanta to the Carthaginians, Ft. Worth to the Romans. But I had an ace up my sleeve, we had just discovered Crusaders and with those crusaders, I retook Atlanta and made my way to the Carthaginians capitol. After conquering it, however, I found the Romans had destroyed all but 7 of my cities and assimilated them.

However, when the Carthaginians crumbled, the Mongols left their alliance with the Romans and sneak attacked them. The Romans lost a large chunk of their territory and were forced to vacate some troops from the front lines. So in 1450 after reconquering a number of my cities I stood with 19 cities and the whole eastern part of the map in my possession. But then I lost my technological advances the Great Library had become obsolete with the advent of Gunpowder.

Nevertheless, I persevered and with two musketeers in every city and with Leonardo’s Workshop in Carthage I defended myself against Roman and Mongol assaults, for, after coming in contact with my civilization the Mongols re-allied with the Romans.

So, I, believing that I have proved my point, and in a hurry to quit without losing the game, exit and retire as the most powerful civilization in 1679. Despite all that I finished with only a 29% Civilization score. Oh well.

Please Visit my website at - http://home.att.net/~civgames/index.html

-Dark Cloud

Top Bottom