Deity Level Succession Game

I haven't played Deity so I'm paranoid about happiness, is researching toward and building Bach's a high priority?

Depends on the riot factor and trade arrows. As a general rule of thumb, I build Bach's after the first round of PDS (city size 8) in order to allow a second one (city size 8-12) coupled with the advent of Democracy (assuming you have enough black hats in your cities) I know that with 15 cities out of 25 under size 3, that a PDS will not exactly give the best results, but Bach's is still pretty solid.

In order to get there, we need to get Feudalism and WC. I suggest taking WC from the Carthaginians by city bribe/tech theft/whatever, and then wait for something (trade/conquest/hut) to give us Feudalism (unless unrest becomes too much of a problem) Then, we shift research for Theology. HOWEVER, I noticed that quite a few cities were taking hits because of unit unhappiness (triremes) so that may be altered (researching Feudalism ourselves) The question is: Is losing the first row of shields for rushbuys worth a happiness boon?

With that being said, I think getting a few temples in size 5+ cities (If we do not get Bach's at medium term) would be a good idea. We do not have enough cities (We have 25, which is okay at this point) to trigger the BH factor even in our smallest and most remote cities, which does not help.

Barcelona can have a hides caravan PRB'd. Is the surplus of caravan the reason why we seem to defer on that opportunity?

A few cities have garrisons when they should not. I can understand Madrid, because it is the capital, but the Warriors in Toledo and the Legion in Valencia are being a bit of a drain. Same thing for the Chariot in Pamplona... I don't think that it's needed. If barbs appear, we can simply bribe away their units, their conquered cities or simply pay tribute. (A few cities also need some harbours/irrigation to grow back at size 3. An example is Madrid.)

Making a blockade city at (93, 37) to block the Americans may be worth considering, especially if they get the Pyramids. I don't think it's a good idea to let them become too powerful since they are already benefiting from our delivery trade arrows.

I would try and techbomb the Sioux so we can swap maps with them, and know where Killdeer is, We can bribe it away afterwards if we want to.

A few cities have garrisons when they should not. I can understand Madrid, because it is the capital, but the Warriors in Toledo and the Legion in Valencia are being a bit of a drain. Same thing for the Chariot in Pamplona. (A few cities also need some harbours/irrigation to grow back at size 3. An example is Madrid.)

Madrid's Garrison is a NON unit anyway. The other cities, I don't know what my logic was besides "I'll disband them when I need a specific multiple of shields or the unit's shields will come in handy."

In order to get there, we need to get Feudalism and WC. I suggest taking WC from the Carthaginians by city bribe/tech theft/whatever, and then wait for something (trade/conquest/hut) to give us Feudalism (unless unrest becomes too much of a problem) Then, we shift research for Theology. HOWEVER, I noticed that quite a few cities were taking hits because of unit unhappiness (triremes) so that may be altered (researching Feudalism ourselves) The question is: Is losing the first row of shields for rushbuys worth a happiness boon?

With that being said, I think getting a few temples in size 5+ cities (If we do not get Bach's at medium term) would be a good idea. We do not have enough cities (We have 25, which is okay at this point) to trigger the BH factor even in our smallest and most remote cities, which does not help.

At this point, I think the only cities supporting 2 military units outside cities are Valencia and Madrid (whose horseman will be inside a city as soon as it is built); I did try to reduce this during my turns, but I focussed on cities where the unhappy unit would have prevented celebrations right away.

Rather than temples, I'd try to get more cities and get the Riot Factor up (we can also run higher luxuries than we are at present if cities are getting too large). We already have a black hat in Cordoba, and next turn we should get a few more if haleewud built the cities I recommended right away. I think expansion is more important than working around cities at the moment; a harbour can usually let a city grow to a decent size via WLTCD, and land work can wait for engineers who do it much better than settlers anyway.

My only recommendation for when to get Bach's (or rather Feudalism) is that we do it before we research Navigation and Invention.

A quick note: The Riot Factor doesn't trigger in cities based on how remote they are. My best knowledge on the issue is described in this thread.

Barcelona can have a hides caravan PRB'd. Is the surplus of caravan the reason why we seem to defer on that opportunity?

I left all rushbuying on my last turn to the next player.

Making a blockade city at (93, 37) to block the Americans may be worth considering, especially if they get the Pyramids. I don't think it's a good idea to let them become too powerful since they are already benefiting from our delivery trade arrows.

Personally, I'd give the Americans some room; I don't think they'll be a threat even if they expand quite a bit. A close city might increase tensions and, if/when the alliance is cancelled, make them feel threatened and switch to a more warlike government. If you do want to make a blockade city, I'd put it on the grassland beside the hills and put a fortress on the hills. In fact, I think it might be worthwhile to send a settler over there and put in roads all around Washington to make sure all the citizens are working trade squares.

What about Cope's? We may have lost the colossus and not be able to make a Super science city, but how about Burgos as a Pretty Good Science City?

Science cities are useful only if you are focusing on producing science using cities (rather than caravans). This means they have limited value once you start making enough deliveries to get an advance every turn, unless you want multiple advances per turn. At this point, I think that by the time we get the city producing enough science to make a difference in research rates, we'll be about ready to research at a tech per turn with caravans. Also, whenever we run high taxes or luxuries, the science city loses most of its value.

Here are my turns.

AD 340 (0): Survey the nation. Things looking okay. Spent 147g on a 11 IPRBs. Change Madrid to building harbor, Changed T/L/S to 40/60/00 (the 10% science was only generating 17 beakers).

AD 360 (1): WLTCD starts in Avila, Vigo, Pamplona, Grenada, Saragossa, Salamanca, Cordoba, Wounded Knee and Seville (not all can grow). Settlers in Malaga, Grenada, Saragossa, and Salamanca. Harbor in Cordoba. Naples founded at 99,65 and Issus at 109,73. Move Madrid Hides and Seville Silver to 'America'. Spent 170g on 10 IPRBs

AD 380 (2): Pamplona Salt, WLTCD starts in Bilbao, Toledo Cloth. Reduce trade in Toledo and Valencia, Seville Silver (UD) to Washintgton for 200g, Washington demands Silk again. Cunaxa founded at 122,56. 253g spent on 15 IPRBs. T/L/S to 20/60/20 to finish Construction.

AD 400 (3): French start GL, Avila Dip, WLTCD ends in Vigo and Salamanca, WLTCD starts in Cadix, Valencia Copper, Seville Settler, Construction -> Bridge Building (Tech Cost 1000). Cremona founded at 107,113. Madrid Hides (D) to Washington for 296g. Move Pamplona Silk and Barcelona Hides to 'America'. T/L/S to 30/60/10. RB Harbors in Toledo (106g) and Santander (78g). Spend 226g on 12 IPRBs.

AD 420 (4): Happiest Civs - Spanish #1, Americans #3, Carts #5, Sioux #7, Naples Dip, Santander and Toledo Harbors, WLTCD ends in Avila and Pamplona. WLTCD starts in Salamanca, Triremes in Oviedo, Ciudad Rodrigo, Calatrava and Cartagena. Population exceeds 2 million. Pamplona Silk (D) to Washington for 636g! Toledo Silver (UD) to Washington for 208g (Silk is available again). T/L/S to 40/60/00. One Einstein is hired in Pamplona. Disband 2 warrior in Toledo. RB Harbors in Bilbao (94g), Burgos (68g) and Madrid (104g). 219g spent on 15 IPRBs. Give Construction to Americans

AD 440 (5): Burgos, Bilbao and Madrid Harbors, Valladolid Dip (?), Barcelona Silk, WLTCD ends in Seville. Bridge Building -> Wheel (Tech Cost 1040). Hut at 133,49 becomes Cannae. Barcelona Hides (D) to Washington for 320g. Move Barcelona Hides and Madrid Hides to 'America'. 322g spent on 18 IPRBs.

AD 460 (6): Leon Dye, Vigo Salt, Cadix Settler, Toledo Settler, Leptis Parva Trireme. WLTCD ends in Saragossa and Cordoba. WLTCD starts in Valencia. I don't deliver the 2 hides (waiting for growth Barcelona will grow to size 3 and Toledo Settler will build into Madrid for size 3 next turn). Move Barcelona Hides and Madrid Hides to 'America'. 307g spent on 19 IPRBs.

AD 480 (7): Cordoba Copper, WLTCD ends in Bilbao, Salamanca and Valencia, WLTCD Starts in Leon, Leptis Parva, Barcelona, Seville. Toledo Settler joins Madrid (size 3 will celebrate next turn). Washington no longer demands Hides!!! I guess I shouldn't have waited. Move Grenada Copper and Madrid Copper to America. Spend 335g on 21 IPRBs.

AD 500 (8): Pamplona Gems, Saragossa Dye, Salamanca Salt, Seville Dye, WLTCD starts in Valencia and Madrid. Population exceeds 3 million. Capua founded at 140,72. Grenada Copper (D) to Washington for 448g. Barcelona Hides (D) to Boston for 368g. T/L/S still 40/60/00 with 1 Einstein in Pamplona. RB Harbor in Avila (116g). 507g spent on 26 IPRBs.

AD 520 (9): Cremona Dye, Calatrava Copper, Oviedo Beads, Malaga Silk, Valencia Salt, Wounded Knee Coal, Toledo Coal, Avila Harbor, Triremes in Burgos, Santander, Ciudad Rodrigo, Issus and Cannae. WLTCD ends in Seville, WLTCD starts in Malaga, Cadix. Wheel -> Engineering (Tech Cost 1080). Cadix Silk (D) to Washington for 660g. Barcelona Hides (D) to Boston for 392g. Move Barcelona Silk and Cordoba Copper to 'America'. Harbor in Cadix (108g). 399g spents on 21 IPRBs. T/L/S to 30/60/10 to finish Engineering.

AD 540 (10): Vigo Dip, Grenada Food, Bilbao Food, Barcelona Food, Salamanca Dip, Seville Trireme, Madrid Food, Cadix Harbor, Engineering -> Invention (Tech Cost 1148). WLTCD ends in Leon, Leptis Parva and Toledo. WLTCD starts in Burgos. Cordoba Copper (D) to Chicago for 272g. Madrid Hides (D) to Boston for 392g, Move Barcelona Hides and Wounded Knee Silk to 'America'. Wounded Knee Silk (D) to Boston for 492g. Hut - 50g, Turin founded at 116,100. Russians (Sevastopol at 72,80) discovered by empty Trireme.

Notes:

T/L/S is still 40/60/00. The 1 Einstein in Pamplona will discover Invention this turn. There are 4 Food vans (and a number of other vans) near Cordoba and Cordoba can build another this turn. Cordoba seems like a logical place to build Leo's.

I left the Carts alone. I did kill a few of their units, but I felt they had little to offer. I wasn't interested in Warrior Code (although maybe I should have been).

We have the Triremes for a 2 way ship chain to the Americans. A few might be slightly out of place right now.

We currently have 32 cities. 11 have harbors and 1 has a barracks (Wounded Knee, this should probably have been sold long ago). The treasury currently has 2502g. I left all Rush Builds for the next player.

I did not give the Sioux any technology. I am still not sure if it is the right time to 'tech bomb' them.

Attachments

• PH_A540.SAV
    144 KB · Views: 147
My only recommendation for when to get Bach's (or rather Feudalism) is that we do it before we research Navigation and Invention.
Unfortunately, by the time this was posted, I was just about done playing my turns. If I had thought of this, Bridge Building might have been Feudalism and The Wheel might have been Theology. Bach's might have been built in 540AD.

Oh well.

That means that it is of no use delaying Navigation now.

After that we should also gun for Chem/Gunpowder/Explosives ASAP.

After achieving Explosives, I would try to go for Magnetism for Galleons and to acquire Theology techs ''on the side'' via trade, steal or conquest. After Magnetism is achieved, I think we will be able to run a Democracy properly. We can get Democracy-Theology-Economics afterwards, and then after gun thru the rest of the pre-Railroad tech tree and do some PDS and irrigation work.

The trade penalty will be harsh, but we were still starting to near 1 tech a turn, so I don't think it will be that bad because the payouts were getting very large. Getting more cargo space with Navigation will partly compensate. Starting to techbomb the Sioux might also be a good idea.

(and obviously all of that is assuming we get Leo's and Mag's. Should be interesting if we still want to get the Pyramids, as they are still available.)

Unfortunately, by the time this was posted, I was just about done playing my turns. If I had thought of this, Bridge Building might have been Feudalism and The Wheel might have been Theology. Bach's might have been built in 540AD.

That can happen; probably the only downside to a speedy game.
The main reason for that recommendation was so that we would have more time to enjoy the double payoff before Invention/Navigation.

At this point, I'd delay Feudalism (and thus Theology), and tech for Magnetism (making sure to pick up Magellan's and especially Leo's on the way) so we don't have to worry about ship unhappiness anymore.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of doubling up the shipchain, since with Navigation, Magellan's and Leo's the ships from the original shipchain would have provided round trip service and delivered 3 caravans per turn (4 once we get Magnetism). I don't think we need 6-8 units of shipping to America at the moment. Once we get the two wonders, I'd extend the chain all the way to Washington and put the rest of the ships on a chain to either France or Russia, depending on what we find out when we make contact.

After that we should also gun for Chem/Gunpowder/Explosives ASAP.

After achieving Explosives, I would try to go for Magnetism for Galleons and to acquire Theology techs ''on the side'' via trade, steal or conquest. After Magnetism is achieved, I think we will be able to run a Democracy properly. We can get Democracy-Theology-Economics afterwards, and then after gun thru the rest of the pre-Railroad tech tree and do some PDS and irrigation work.

The trade penalty will be harsh, but we were still starting to near 1 tech a turn, so I don't think it will be that bad because the payouts were getting very large. Getting more cargo space with Navigation will partly compensate. Starting to techbomb the Sioux might also be a good idea.

After we get gunpowder, we'll lose the warrior slot anyway, so at that point there is no reason to delay feudalism. If we want to pick up feudalism from an AI, we'll have to make sure they have Warrior Code and Monarchy (republic might also be a good idea so they can tech faster). The only advantage to this would be that we might be able to skip the Warrior Code tech completely. Since we're running a trade game, carrying the tech won't be that big a deal (if we, somehow, manage to leapfrog Chivalry, however, we can keep the 20s rushbuy slot), so when we want Theology (perhaps we might like to wait a short time after we spend 800 shields with Magellan's and Leo's) we should research it.

Explosives will be a very useful tech, but I'd get Magnetism first, so that we can keep the 10s slot open a little longer. With Magnetism, we'll be able to use ships without worrying about happiness, and so we can transport settlers to city sites, and caravans to the shipchain without building more roads. We can then delay road building until we get engineers, who can build a road in 1/3 the time on flat terrain. To reiterate, I think we should stop building roads until we get engineers. We can use settlers to make cities at the moment.

I have not seen the game however, and will not be able to play for a while (probably not until Christmas) because of family issues and studying for exams before the Christmas break.

Does this mean mackerel should play next?

I'll start 10 turns, if Jokemaster replies with intent to play before I'm done then his version of history is the official one.

I have still too much to do right now... I need to study before Christmas break. Only reason I have been posting is because it does not take anywhere as much time as 10 turns played in detail.

mackerel can start 10 turns. I'll start mackerel's posted save as soon as I come home Thursday.

My reign has been recorded in great detail to encourage constructive tips.

540AD (turn 0) - TLS at 4/6/0, 7 cities celebrating. 6 settlers, producing 2. 27 triremes. 27 caravans, 27 more in production. 2542 gold.
Wounded Knee barracks sold. Production changed to settler in Cadix, Malaga, Vigo, Burgos, Toledo, Seville, Salamanca, Pamplona, Bilbao, Wounded Knee. If we're going to make more cities, we're going to be serious about it. Celebrations will instantly regrow most of those.
Rush spending: 61+91+47+86+41+61+122+91+88+66+91+91+122=1058.

Americans develop Medicine. Capua caravan coal. Cannae caravan coal. Naples caravan dye. Cartahena caravan silk. Calatrava silk. Leon silk. Avila settler, didn't notice there would be a shortage, will send it to Rodrigo on the return trireme. Leptis Parva silver. Invention -> Navigation. Malaga settler. Valladolid coal. Cordoba coal. Wounded knee settler. Toledo settler.

560AD (turn 1) - Panormus bought for 339, instant rebate 64 plus a legion, a phalanx, and Warrior Code. Legion disbanded to fund caravan, barracks sold +40g. 8 caravans build Leo's. Madrid hides to Washington 136, unblocked silk. Barcelona silk Washington(d) 426. Barcelona hides Boston(d) 220. Madrid copper Washington 116. Shipping Salamanca salt, Bilbao silver. Calatrava copper gets mixed up in the ship chain and ends up in America. Valladolid spends a chariot and 90g on a harbor. Pamplona somehow has an unhappy Einstein. Nomads!
Rush 111+86+119+119+113+91+119+61+119+79+119=1136

Carthage offers peace, accepted, senate makes it permanent until further notice. Turin silk. Rodrigo beads. Santander celebrates. Oviedo gems, celebrates. Burgos settler, will make more here. Avila celebrates. Vigo settler. Pamplona settler, celebrates. Grenada silk. Bilbao settler, celebrates. Cadix wool. Valladolid harbor, grows in 2-3 turns. Barcelona hides. Valencia copper, celebrates. Cordoba completes Leo's, elephants upgrade to crusaders. Madrid silk. Population exceeds 4,000,000.

580AD (turn 2) - Advanced tribe Genoa (81,51) on the Russian continent. I'm missing 2 triremes from the ship chain, I don't know how; one at Valladolid, one between Rodrigo and Calatrava. I can rush more but that will cause happiness issues. Better to have unhappiness than a freight strike, Valladolid and Burgos buy triremes. No deliveries; salt is going to Philadelphie(d) and Calatrava copper is worth little, so it will guard the loading dock at Washington for a while. Tech cost 1230, around 75% done with Navigation.
Rush legion+crusader+75+118+110+50+61+79+75+116+63+22=769, deficit spending has us down to 417g.

Cremona silk. Cunaxa settler. Calatrava, Leon harbor. Celebration in Rodrigo. Santander silk. Malaga coal. Panormus silver. Sargossa diplomat. Valencia food.

600AD (turn 3) - Valladolid coal Washington(d) 235. Salamanca salt Phil(d) 180. Advanced tribe Crete (100,12). Land sighted near the suspected homeland of the French. TLS 262, I want to be sure to complete Navigation this turn, Magnetism next, so the ship happiness issue goes away and capacity at least doubles. Valladolid has a black hat. 50g gift from Americans. Hut legion near Genoa. Diplomat meets Russians, gives Construction, Philosophy, Mathematics, shares maps, establishes embassy. Russia is huge, with 1113 gold, 13 cities (2 of which are building the Great Library), still in despotism and war with the Japanese.
Rush 88+83+116+116+88+119+25+118+63=816, 109 gold in reserve.

Americans have nearly finished Pyramids. Leo's upgrades all triremes to caravels. Navigation->Gunpowder (Magnetism not available. Democracy passed up so we can get it on an Oedo year later. I could have got Medicine from the Americans this turn, but didn't want to risk not getting Navigation). Cannae settlers. Oviedo, Grenada harbor. Celebration in Leon, Avila, Malaga, Valencia, Cordoba. Bilbao coal. Barcelona hides. Seville silk. Madrid silver.

620AD (turn 4) - Madrid begins Magellan(250). Americans want Invention for Medicine, refuse University but give us 100g. Cordoba coal Washington(d) 355. Salamanca silk Washington(d) 420. Seville dye Boston(d) 248. Ship chain in functional chaos, to be expected in a novice's transition period. Verona founded (103,71). Misclick ends the turn before I meant to, lost a ship from Saragossa and hadn't rushed builds yet.

New York builds Pyramids. Pamplona beads. Cordoba beads. Celebration in Panormus, Valladolid. 5 million citizens.

640AD (turn 5) - Saragossa dye Washington (152), unblocks Toledo coal Washington(d) 305. 1809g and spending it early in the turn from now on, right after trading in the caravans I landed last turn. Somehow I messed up the shipchain again and won't be able to start caravans moving next turn. Salamis founded (116,110).
Rush 83+56+119+106+119+86+86+104+81+108+81+108+113+75+75+113+54+113=1680, 117 left.

Leo's upgrades warriors, legions, phalanx to musketeers. Gunpowder->Physics. Turin dye. Cartagena salt. Avila hides. Vigo gold. Malaga copper. Grenada coal. Bilbao silk. Valladolid silk. Salamanca beads. Valencia food. Wounded Knee beads. Toledo food. Celebration in Santander, Valencia.

660AD (turn 6) - Lisbon founded (123,83). Elephant and archer gathering at Panormus, musketeer not impressed. Hamburg founded (95,75). Prague founded (127,51). Diplomat meets the icy French. Gave republic, peace, philosophy, construction, university, shared maps, established embassy. They have 5 decent size cities all on one small island. Hut unleashes barbarians near Genoa, diplomat flees onto caravel.

Capua coal. Cremona copper. Rodrigo spice. Burgos silk. Saragossa silk. Barcelona coal. Seville beads.

680AD (turn 7) - Madrid silk Washington(d) 468. Cartagena silk Washington(d) 282. Bilbao silver Chicago(d) 180. TLS 460. Settler roading near Washington, copper caravan clearing movement path for it. Expecting a Carthage sneak attack on Panormus any time now. Nomads!
Rush 75+115+119+123+131+123+75=761
Return caravans in Rodrigo ready to go.

Carthage develops the Wheel! Russia switches to Monarchy. Lisbon silk. Salamis coal. Naples silk. Oviedo salt. Avila hides. Vigo cloth. Valencia dye. Madrid completes Magellan. 6 million citizens.

700AD (turn 8) - Oviedo beads Grenada(d) 98 (first experiment with domestic intercontinental trade, trade route +1). Grenada silk Washington(d) 450. Salzburg founded (100,52). More ship chain adjustments, I'm sure I'm not using them all optimally. Hut 50g. Hut barbarians near defenseless Crete, 41g buys horseman. Advanced tribe Bergen(74,40). Venice founded (79,69). Milan founded (140,24). TLS 262.
Rush 119+123+91+116+66+75=590, 537 left in the bank.

Brave diplomat dies to barbarians at Crete. Physics->Democracy (Magnetism not available). Capua silk. Issus harbor, celebrates. Naples settler. Calatrava wine. Leptis Parva has 2 black hats before happiness modifiers. Cordoba silk. Wounded Knee wine.

720AD (turn 9) - Burgos silk Washington(d) 336. Bilbao coal Washington(d) 425. Barcelona hides Boston(d) 244, dye no longer locked but no longer demanded, dye caravan moved toward Philly. Barcelona hides Boston(d) 244 #2. Ghent founded (134,42). Pisa founded (135,101). Dublin founded (13,77). Toronto founded (6,62). Carthage has a warrior on our continent. Wounded Knee irrigates grass and will finally be able to grow.
Rush 116+123+88+88+98+106+123+75+66+69+75+75+69+75+112+86=1444, 411 left over.

Crete's barbarian horseman dies, the horde encroaches. Verona silk. Cartagena silver. Rodrigo salt. Santander copper. Oviedo cloth. Leon beads. Bilbao copper. Saragossa beads. Valladolid copper. Barcelona dye. Valencia food. Madrid coal. Vigo settler, ship waiting to relocate it. Democracy->Magnetism. Next Oedo year is 780, no revolution. Toledo's low on food, I should have sent a different settler to America.

740AD (turn 10) - Leon dye Philly(d) 172. Valladolid silk Washington(d) 366. Wounded Knee coal Washington(d) 320. TLS 460. Naples dye Toledo(d) 70. Melbourne founded (129,103) to needle the Sioux. Hut 50g. Japanese sighted between French and Russians.
Rushes left to the next player.

17 harbors are the only maintenance cost we pay. 202 income per turn, 3 science, 510 turns per discovery. I did not tech bomb the Sioux and had no aggressive maneuvers with anyone, though settling so close has moved the Sioux to uncooperative. Russians are researching Feudalism, Americans would trade Medicine, nothing else we're interested in available. Deliveries next turn should get us Magnetism and galleons full of happiness. Sorry about making the Lighthouse obsolete so soon, it was fun while it lasted.
1441g in the treasury. 49 cities if I'm counting right, I added 13 on purpose and 3 advanced tribes. The Russian continent is huge and green, ripe for colonization. I've taken the extra ships from the chain toward Seville so we can send commodities the Americans don't want that direction. I maybe should have completed the chain around the backside of Washington instead. It seems to not yet be time for domestic trade, payouts are half what I'd consider acceptable. The settler and caravan in Pisa were being shipped toward (123,111) to create Big Bighorn on the site of the former Sioux capital.

I had a few shipping errors and a misclick that slowed down our growth. Presiding over two major shipping changes during my first ever ship chain was enlightening. I'll do better next time.

View attachment PH_A740.SAV

16 cities added in 10 turns? That's... great! Anyways, I got the game and will play it. It all ended sooner than I expected for me.

We are losing quite a bit of our trade in outer cities, which impends our growth. We should switch to Democracy ASAP, AFTER delivering caravans of course. However, this will prevent any caravans from being delivered the turn during Democracy is achieved due to wasted caravan beakers.
This may cause some brief unhappiness issues.
A LOT of caravans are currently being built while there is no supplies to be taken. Are those caravans destined to build wonders or will the wonder bread trick be used? (with that being said, I'm not very familiar with that trick... does it work 100% of the time?)

I also think that setting up a second shipchain to the French should be considered.

Many caravans were being built for wonder bread, or for hoping something unblocks before construction completes, or because food caravans are stored production for later when we need it. We know we're going to want Bach's soon, and Darwin when we get there. There was mention of waiting for Bach's to switch to Democracy, that's a good part of why I waited.

Magnetism will give us galleons and no unrest from the ship chain so I was considering switching next turn (1 turn before oedo year)

I am still undecided if I want to research Feudalism myself or let the Russians do it and then trade (could take a while) If I let them do it, I am leaning towards getting Medicine from the Americans once we have Magnetism and then go for Economics/Explosives (will probably get Explosives first) However, if we get Feudalism soon, I will sidestep to Theology and build Bach's ASAP.

I've noticed that the ship chain was doubled. Did we wanted to double capacity or was it done for other means?

EDIT: I've noticed that we only have 6 settlers. This is not enough for my tastes... it could delay irrigation/road work when we get Explosives. Cities like Salamanca and Saragossa (with Harbor) should build a few of them IMO.

The double ship chain lets us deliver a boatload every turn for consistent money, assuming we move the ships right. Galleons will move 6 and carry 4 cargo, so while it seems we have a glut of cargo, we're going to need all that and more. I'm all in favor of trading for Medicine, just didn't want to give Invention for it.

UPDATE: Out of 4 tries, the wonder bread trick only worked twice... Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing some information? (I'm doing exactly the same thing as said in the tips and tricks thread)

For the Wonder Bread trick to work, you have to have a commodity that is blocked in the supply list, but neither supports a caravan containing that commodity nor has a trade route in that commodity.

When I looked at the game earlier, I noticed that both Wounded Knee and Toledo are running a food deficit and are both almost out of food.

As a side note, when I have a round trip shipchain, I don't usually stack ships going both ways on the same square. Makes things easier to use and remember (especially when you have transports and are trying to activate a ship while transporting 8 units.

Don't worry about expiring the lighthouse. It served its purpose.

Toledo's settler is roading Washington, I don't think there's anything we can do with it before food runs out. Toledo can't produce 2 extra food without further irrigation. The settler can't get out of America in time. Short of sending in a food caravan, I don't see any way to save that settler.
Wounded Knee just finished irrigating grassland and can have a worker reassigned to earn surplus food. Its settler is in Pisa where a ship is prepared to relocate it further.

For the Wonder Bread trick to work, you have to have a commodity that is blocked in the supply list, but neither supports a caravan containing that commodity nor has a trade route in that commodity.

If it has a blocked commodity. If it does not support a van with that, but also does not have a trade route with that...

If the little gears in my head are running correctly, it means that for the WB trick to work you have to have a city that has delivered at least 4 caravans of different commodities each? (so the least raking trade route is not shown in the City screen, so it ''does not have a trade route in that commodity'')

Also, if a commodity stays blocked after a van is used for a wonder, that could also be it...

EDIT: I dealt with the Toledo situation by taking off a worker from the Oil square and assigning it to Ocean, so no need for a food van. 0 surplus and 3 food in stock.

And is CFC lagging for anyone else?

SECOND EDIT: Halfway done, will finish tomorrow.

Top Bottom