Deity No Tech Brok. No Vassals game

Oh that's a good move too. 3F city tile, gets Cow and keeps unforested grassland hill (possible strat resource?), doesn't lose a turn and forest as 2W would, and dry rice isn't such a great tile to work anyway. Nice thinking. :goodjob:
it wasn't dry rice, it was irrigated by the oasis
still a good move IMHO
edit : i'm late to the show :lol:

The tech path I took didn't leave time for getting AG until I traded for alpha, so I sacrificed the later +2 food for an early +1. I figured it was a good tradeoff.

To be accurate, isn't it +1 vs. +3 for settling rice vs. working irrigated rice (or +4 after Bio of course.)

I mean obviously it sped up the opening a little bit, and didn't hurt you too much in the long run. But in general it's a sacrifice I'd be a little loath to make, as 2 food resources in the capital vs. 1 is a considerable difference.

One of my favorite things to settle on is sugar, since that's +1 vs. only +2 for plantation/farm (or +3 for post-Bio farm -- but then you don't get the resource.) Dry rice is pretty close since the sped up start probably outweighs the extra food you would get after CS. But irrigated rice gives me pause.

@AZ like you did in that game where you delayed researching AH because you beelined alpha and had to delay working a hill sheep tile. Pretty original , i still have some doubts if it's really best to play this way but you get good results with it so there must be something in it.

I've found the earlier you attack the less troops you have to deal with. On most the maps I play the AI begins to run out of land around 1200 BC or so, and that's when it starts stacking up troops. That's also when the warmongers start going into WHEEOHRN mode, usually. So not wasting 10 turns researching AG in the beginning means a 10 turn quicker rush ( roughly ), which means you face smaller stacks and the cities you take come online about 10 turns quicker, which let's you use them 10 turns earlier.... etc.

Also the key here is fast writing, getting that library up and running 2 scientists really boosts your research rate. It also allows for quicker math which means better chopping earlier. And of course earlier trade routes. Skipping AG let me beeline writing sooner.

@arigold There's no call for flaming. It's just a friendly disagreement.

2 posts, where i come from we call that a troll :lol:

Ah so you look at post count when all else fails. Bravo. I've been reading and absorbing information if that's what you mean by troll. Then yes I am a troll. I'd rather not engage in tit for tat. Cheerio raider :lol:

@arigold There's no call for flaming. It's just a friendly disagreement.

No probs az, you are a patient trooper.

@AZ, true enough. it's really difficult to compare your style in these games with a more conservative one, just some comments by no means exhaustive . Indeed you speed up things some 10 turns by not researching AG,a bit more by not researching AH, tech wise even more as you get those libraries up earlier and you really run the scientists early.

So you'll gain on tech but lose out on food/hammers and as a consequence on expansion. This is a bad idea for peaceful expansion of course but it might indeed be good for rushing.

On the good side you certainly rush at an earlier date so you have to deal with less enemy troops
As you mention conquered cities come on line earlier, this might be the biggest benefit

On the not so good side you will have less troops yourself than with a more conservative strategy, in that case you expand to ~ 1 city more and also work more good tiles for a longer time since you went for worker techs first. This'll result at later rush date but with more troops:
- worked better tiles for a longer time so more food/hammers resulting in slightly more troops
from production/whipping. As construction comes later those troops will probably be harchers
- longer time to prepare since the rush date is later
I think this is slightly saver than an early rush with not too many troops which can backfire if the RNG's unlucky.
But new cities come online later and that's definitely an advantage of rushing early.

There are a zillion other factors of course. It's undoubtedly map dependent. More early commerce does make your strat more attractive i think than a commerce low map where the rush date won't be that early anyway.

Not philo either? Else you can bulb math :).Edit: i just realized that you can convert production to science after alpha. That wreaks havoc with expansion and build up even more so early in the game but yes you will get to construction really early if you do that. Anyway i'm interested how you've done it.

Top Bottom