1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity One City Challenge as Korea

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hans Tork, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hans Tork

Hans Tork Chieftain

This had been a personal goal of mine ever since I watched Potato Mcwhiskey doing it on Youtube. I am a casual deity player of Civ 6 and generally shy away from challenges. However this challenge was one I deeply had an urge to complete. I have gotten very rusty after having been on a hiatus for a long time. However after a couple of false starts I finally got this done.

Spoiler :

20191126221042_1.jpg 20191126221425_1.jpg 20191126215854_1.jpg 20191126215520_1.jpg 20191126214655_1.jpg 20191126214607_1.jpg

My general game plan was mostly derived from Potato`s playthrough. I did not try my luck at getting a god like starting location but instead chose whatever came in my roll. I did have a failed run before this. My starting location had a lot of mountains which made me doubt whether this run would be a success or not. Fortunately I managed to find three CS and a lot of goodie huts early on which made the game a real ease. Early choppable rain-forests meant I had a decent pop capital by T50. I then wonder spammed and got the Oracle and the Great Library. I would later go on to grab the Oxford,Potala Palace,Forbidden Palace, Orsaghaz. Wonders are essential not only for the culture but also the GW slots they provide. I believe another key part of this playthrough would be the Science and Culture CS I had suzerainity over. Also I managed to get a tech lead for the better part of the game only giving in at the very end. Spies were also crucial in the late game to get tech steals and Rocketry disruption.(Alex,Inca and Suleiman were nearly on their way to beat me.) Housing and lack of decent tiles was an issue but I would say it was a great game overall. My perspective on tall deity play in Civ 6 has changed a lot after this game. I would definitely try to go tall from now on in deity.

P.S. Also it seems Civ 06 deity AI is a joke compared to Civ 5. A T350 win would never be possible in Civ 5 deity.

2. Hans Tork

Hans Tork Chieftain

For anyone interested I have a T7 save of the game.( I forgot to keep the T1 save.) The settings are Deity,Standard Map,Pangaea,Disaster Intensity 4.

Attached Files:

3. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Congrats! Looks cool that multiple AI's are so close to beating you to it. I've done a few OCC's myself, after this one it's a nice challenge to try and win the other victory conditions in OCC as well. :)

Hans Tork likes this.
  4. shaky

shaky Chieftain

Nice work. I managed my first Deity OCC last week with Scotland. Was a standard sized, small continents map, so I got a nice bit of land to myself and could scout the whole map with 1-charge builders after only the Sailing tech. Oracle and Divine Spark got me all the Great Scientists and Engineers I wanted. Added Oxford, Kilwa, Ruhr Valley and Mausoleum. Avoided any conflict so it ended up being easier than I expected, though getting through the late tech tree was a bit of a grind with only about 300ish science.

Hans Tork likes this.
  5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Surprised it was possible given how many tiles you lost due to the mountains. I tried once with China in a game because I was only a few tiles away from a natural wonder giving me lots of great tiles to work, plus I was isolated in a corner with city-states blocking me. But even with that, I got overtaken by mid-game in science and then it was a losing battle.

Hans Tork likes this.
  6. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

True, all those tiles wasted to mountains (although the adjacency is nice) makes this starting location an extra challenge. Well done, @Hans Tork !

Hans Tork likes this.
  7. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Chieftain

I saw that PotatoMcWhiskey did this; grats to you both!

I wonder if this is possible with Diplomacy? I am about to win my first dirty victory as China with Diplomacy on an Archipelago, and I imagine it wouldn't be too much harder with one city.

Hans Tork likes this.
  8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Wow, how does one generate *that* much science with one city? Especially since you can only have one science district per city....I suppose wonders, high population and trade routes with alliances help, but what are some other tricks?

Hans Tork likes this.
  9. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

You stack bonuses: some of the 'xx%' extra bonuses in CIV VI go 'on top of each other'. Say you have 100 science and a bonus of 20%, and a 50% bonus that goes on top of it. You get 100+20% = 120 | 120+50%=180. It's not: 100+70&=170. In this example there's only a 10 yield difference, but using high science and multiple percentage bonuses it really adds up. My record is one city with 500+ science ánd 500+ culture. That's with endgame bonuses: +5% for every suzerainty.

Hans Tork likes this.
  10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Cool--where do you get % bonuses? I know the governors give % boosts, but with one city I imagine many percentage boosts come from policies and so on right? Which ones are key to beeline?

Hans Tork likes this.
  11. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

I should really look at the save game of the one I got those yields in. From the top of my mind:
    - policies (there are a few that give % bonuses to science and culture)
    - wonders (oxford and broadway)
    - leader/country (iirc korea and scotland have % bonuses)
    - city states (there's one that gives % bonus to culture)
    - Pingala of course

At least these five, there might be more. Maybe there's one or two great people as well. And of course you try to max out the yields your city gets. E.g. from trade routes, tile improvements and the districts and district buildings.

Hans Tork likes this.
  12. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Chieftain

Technically China gets a % bonus, but no love. :(

Hans Tork likes this.
  13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The main ones are rationalism (50% if a city has +3 adjacency campus and 50% if a city has a pop of 10 or more) and the international space agency give 5% per suzerain. Also Kilwa Kiswani will give 15% in each city if you are suzerain of 2 science CS. Pingala naturally also gives a fat bonus as does oxford university locally.
    So with an OCC a huge city with Pingala and Kilwa and oxford makes a massive amount of science with a +3 adjacency campus.

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Finally managed a OCC win, although only on Immortal. Korea, continents, small map, standard settings. Oracle, Divine Spark and Pingala was key to winning, also grabbed Great Library, Oxford University, Forbidden City, Potala Palace, Mausoleum of Halicanassus (available very late), Big Ben, Ruhr Valley and Broadway. Russia was my closest contended, he was going for cultural victory and made good progress with Rock Bands.

What other civs have people used for OCC wins? I see Scotland mentioned, others?

15. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

The Inca for an OCC religious deity victory. I got Earth Goddess on a start with some nice hills and mountains and some room for the wonders that help smooth out a religious victory. I think an OCC religious victory can be done with many civs, it's really doable if you focus. Did a semi-OCC domination with Hungary once, that was fun. :) Raze all cities, except the capitals, because you cannot do so. It was more a 'one settler challenge' then 'one city challenge' in my case. If you want to do it more accurate you should war all opponents, but wait with capturing the capitals till the very last turn. Have those at very low strength and with enough units next to them to capture all your opponents capitals in one turn. Iirc I failed an attempt at cultural OCC with Sweden once because the AI beat me to too many wonders I needed for my works of art, but I think she should be able to pull on off.

Korea and Scotland are the obvious once because of their inherent bonuses. Haven't tried a Scottish one myself, might try one some time.