Deity Rome Early Game

fyermind

Chieftain
Settings are Hemispheres, 7 AIs, standard map size, Marathon speed, NHNE.

I've been trying to figure out how to play better in the early game, and I rolled this start, which looks pretty good. It has plenty of forests, but the real joy came from spotting what look like floodplains to the south with a riverside plains hill to start on.

I moved my warrior to the hill, and saw that I six FP if I settled on the hill. Since my settler could move twice I checked out the sheep on my way, and found dry corn.

But now I'm not sure what to do.

If I research agriculture to do something with those floodplains and corn, and build a worker, I get the worker four turns before agriculture comes in.

Do I try to leverage IMP for an early second city sharing the FPs next to the oasis? I could probably get it to autoconnect along the river, so it would boost my early commerce.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    48 KB · Views: 45
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 159
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 160
Just tried playing through to turn 150
Spoiler :
Shaka DoW about to trash me. I need more military. Next time, I probably shouldn't go pottery before bronze working. I thought that Shaka would go after Sitting bull and they would stay locked up for a while. Either way this is an interesting start because I am almost certain we are on the more slowly teching of the two continents based on our neighbors.

I'm only an immortal player, but am i crazy to settle on the sheep? it's probably not worth bothering with animal husbandry this game and the +1 food in capital would be rather nice for growth, since you seem to lack any 6 food tiles.

also, if shaka is going to declared war on turn 150 in diety marathon mode, aren't you pretty screwed no matter what you do? I'd love to see some of the resident experts here weigh in on what the hell you can do to win conditional on shaka declaring war on you on turn 150.

edit: although i agree that bronze working should be teched before pottery on rome.

Playing as Rome with Shaka as a neighbour -- let alone on marathon speed -- one has to wonder why he still existed at turn 150.

edit: a very early second city isn't really "leveraging" the imperialistic trait unless that city is actually helping you. Is it grabbing valuable land that you'd lose to an AI if you settled it later? Is it helping or hurting your tech rate? What's it going to build and how long before it can grow onto improved tiles? Can you defend it from barbs yet?

Imp is kind of a junk trait unless it's a crowded map where you really have to rex.

Top Bottom