1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity settings and advice

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lkysam, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

Hi everyone! I have finally become competent at emperor, and I am ready to move up to Deity (I am going to skip demigod if I can). This is proving difficult. I first tried a continent warmongering strat but I was quickly crushed. Then I tried an %80 water archipelago, but I didnt have enough luxury resources (even though I was the 2nd biggest civ and had about 6 colonized islands), and I was too poor to afford to buy any even if I could have bought any which I couldnt because I couldnt trade across ocean squares. If I went monarchy the MP expences were ruinous and if I went republic I had to spend %40 of my income plus entertainers to keep my people happy. I obviously need to try something new.

Im looking for advice from the veterans out there as to how to cope on deity. Would you suggest a warmongering game or a peaceful game? What would your settings be in terms of land mass, temperature world age, barbarians, land masses civ choice etc? How do you keep the AI from attacking you, or beat them back if they do attack you? Is it reasonable to expect to fall behind in the tech race by the end of the ancient age? How do you catch up once you do? Is monarchy or republic better? If you are religious is it worth switching twice? What victory should I shoot for?

I know thats a lot of questions, but I am very clueless :) Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I am playing the latest version of Civ 3 conquests

2. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

I jumped straight from Emperor to Deity like you at the end of last summer.

I suggest playing huge or medium sized archipiélago. 80 % water. Choose 6 rival AI. No barbarians. Choose the Netherlands. Send small scout vessels to contact everyone within the first minutes of playing. It's imperative to do this.

Now I normally build the TGL, so my research will be focued on that.

Sooner or later, you'll be invaded and the Swiss Mercenary (providing you have iron) is a great unit. It has a nice timed GA right when you need it.

Once you beat these maps consistently on Deity, select 70 % water...60 % water. Once you've won those against 8 or 10 civs move on to pangaea with the Iroquois for example or Summerians. Before you know it, you'll be winning the space race ! ¡ Buena suerte !

3. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

You need to improve your Micro Managing. Even without any luxury, you should be able to get away with 20% - 30% in Republic (no, I'm not talking about Colossei).

1 inborn Happy + Temple + Cath= 5
    If you read 40% lux, that means you need either Courthouses, or don't work enough high-commerce tiles.

Yes, you will fall back in late Ancient. Don't even try to get Republic in less than 50 turns.
    Don't wait for tech parity/superiority to attack. MDI+SM+Cats or Trebs rule; at that time, the AI doesn't have lots of Knights, and usually no Barracks in their fringe cities.
    In general, I'd advise to fight only when the odds are in favor of the human - with Swords agaisnt an opponent without Iron; the MDI/SM era; Knights against an AI without iron; Infantry/Artillery age.
    Map: Staring with Archipelagos is a good idea.
    Civ: Dutch, Byz, England. Iros.
    Opponents: Picking only those that cannot cope with the map feels a bit like cheating; however, you may decide to not play against Celts and Sumeria (the clearly strongest AI Civs on Deity).

4. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Doc - Are you advocating a religious civ for new diety players? Otherwise, those temples and cathedrals could get pricey in terms of time to build.

I think I am just about done on DG. I am wiping the floor with the ai's as the Celts in my current DG game. Next game will be a try at Diety.

5. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

I didnt have cathedrals, I switched to republic at the end of the ancient age. I also couldnt get a big army because I had NO rivers at all, which means small cities which means less military support.

Also, is space race easier than diplo? Im not sure how to win at anything other than space race, having won that way in every single game I have ever won since I bought the game (excluding 1 game on a tiny map where I wpn by conquest). Im not really sure how to do anything else, but is it possible when the AI has such a big tech lead?

Thanks for teh help :)

6. Jopedamus I

Jopedamus I Immortality is reality

For me, diplo is easiest way to win at deity. You shouldn't be behind in techs when modern time begins if you have played well(making sure no civ runs away, steal techs, trading, ToE...).

7. bingen

bingen Prince

Emperor to Deity is a a fairly large jump (the only one comparable is Deity to Sid), that is why Demigod was introduced. I suggest you use it.

Being behind technologically is par on Deity, as long as you are keeping up with the stragglers this is not too big of a problem, unleess you are more than one age behind. You ought to be able too catch up during the Industrial Age though.

8. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

How did you play your emperor game? (1) Did you always over power the AIs with your advance weapons and superior troops? (2) Did you usually research most of your techs?

If you answer yes to any of the two questions above, I recommend to go back to the emperor level and try to do the opposite. Basically, at deity level, don't expect to get ahead with your research and don't expect to over power the AIs with your military strength either. IMO, if you can keep up with the AI tech level at the emperor level with just 1 scientist or with the minimum research, you should be able to handle the deity or sid level.

9. Lkysam

Lkysam Warlord

On Emperor my game plan would go as follows:

1. Get a decent start, dont expand too much because after you hit your city cap, any more cities are a waste of shields and pop in the ancient age

2. Build infrastructure, research techs that I dont think the A.I will and trade it around for the techs I need

3. Towards the end of the ancient age/beggining of middle ages I attack my weakest neighbor, grav his land and build FP

4. I try to mantain tech parity, but if I fall behind thats ok, cause I can catch up and surpass everyone in the Industrial age

5. Build a space ship

Is researching only a small portion of the techs going to work? I guess not. How do you afford the A.Is techs? If you buy them after everyone has them you cant sell them. If you buy them when nobody else has them, they are almost un-affordable.

Right now I am playing a Deity netherlands game. This is going much better than the last one. I didnt start out alone on my island but I managed to trap the Irquois at the bottom of the island. On the main island we both have 6 cities, but he has no Iron while I have 2. I also have 3 luxuries. I colonised over seas some, I now have about 6 overseas cities, one of which was taken undefended when the Aztecs declared war war. It was going great otherwise, until the Irquois declared war. They are now attacking me with a stack of 40 warriors and spearmen, plus 2 smaller stacks of about 7 units each. I have 13 swordsmen and about 3 defenders per city.On the first turn of the war I managed to raze on of thier cities and take 3 gems. But now their stack is almost at my southern most city. I have no idea what to do. How do you cope with the A.I mega stacks? I think I may reload to before the war and just give them some Iron or insence or something just to keep them off my back. Advice? Oh yeah, here is a save:

10. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

Lkysam, yeah I recently played a game like that, it was as if the AI were spawning troops from the very fires of Hell itself. but the problem was there was nothing larger than an archer so it felt like being mugged by kittens. best bet is to just keep at them, consider it as leader fishing, I got 2 leaders in the same turn doing this and it was about 1000BC or something, which was just odd. once you have armies send one to pillage important tiles and use the rest to stem the attacking troops. unfortunately for me it took me almost 1000 years to fully dispose of that AI, but I got there in the end.