[Deity] Stairway to Heaven #3: Hatshepsut of Egypt (Pangaea)

A part from spot A food is not that bad..? And even spot A is alright because I have FPs. Didn't mention it but there's a backfill spot South with Sheep+Fish so that's good too. Maybe more seafood SE of capitole and probably more food NE of capitole.

That's ~5-7 good city spots, and I might catch some more a bit further away :dunno:

Why is City 2 so bad? It grabs the Horses but still remains close to capitole to work FP cottages and has "decent" tiles (Cows, FP to irrigate, PH, some riverside...). No fresh water however. If I wasn't CRE I definitely wouldn't consider it

it's everything kinda out of place...

some good food is burned to the northwest near persia

some commerce is in west, but will be bad with health and food, the gold is 1 tile too west for overlap on capital pigs for example

the horse spot is obviously mandatory, but will be problematic with food again.

my problem with it is, that even if you're creative the horses will be delayed by the border pop and you have tons of roading before you...

imagine situation where the horses would be on river with grasslands instead of plains and either the cows or corn move south with gold closer to capital for really good city spot 2...

I don't like dry maps much... they feel... well dry :), you have a lot of flood, but that means tons of improvements time (strain on workers), not many trees and not that good food...

Xpost BIC: Yes but Pottery before Mining..? Production is already going to be tough whereas commerce will be very easy mid-term. If I want to grab some land I need a Mine and Slavery asap no? A Granary too ceci dit...

EDIT: a Granary will be crucial but will be of much smaller use if I don't have Slavery so I still think going BW first is the right call

The mine is only marginally better than a floodplains cottage to build settlers/workers.
Slavery + chops, on the other hand, is very strong and the real reason to research Mining :)

@city 2: I'd probably expand N or NW first. Your red spot is good to the NW. To the north, there's a riverside spot 3N1E of Thebes that's quite strong (sharing 1 of your 2 food tiles, so Thebes can work floodplains more easily).
Cow/horse city is SW which is kinda bad to claim land. Better for barb defence, however, and to capture barb cities.

I would work corn+forrest ph for now, get three warriors out and settler at size 3/4. I personally would try and grab the cow/corn/gold but it depends on barb activity and rng. Id go pottery before bw just to be safe on the economy. (and an alternative option of granery building instead of warriors while growing later)

If barbs become a problem, the safest would be to settle on ph for horse/sheep imho but you would give up the corn/cow probably. Theres plenty of fog to the nw atm, build enough warriors and dont waste them. Try to move with AI units to advance and dont engage archers unless you can 2v1 in a good spot.

1715AD Conquest
Spoiler :

My tech path went as follows: AH (found horses -> settled my 2nd city next to them), Pottery, Mining, BW, Writing. Managed to settle 9 decent/good cities without much trouble. With no access to iron, I went straight to cavalry (libbed MT). The diplo situation was buddhist love fest, having lead to Gandhi and Joao to sign a defensive pact, so my 1st target was Darius. After having capped him (gifted him all his cities back, dunno if it was the most optimal play), I took out Gandhi and Joao, then Tokugawa, and finally Freddy + Alexander.

Quite an easy game overall. I haven't played much lately and this felt easy even for me. Lots of good land to settle, and no dangerous AIs close by.

Random screenshots:

Why not horse city on a plainhill? Sheep give better food than cows.

Why not horse city on a plainhill? Sheep give better food than cows.

Didn't really cross my mind in my own game, but there are a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

- No need to wait for a border pop to be able to improve the horses
- Settling the PH kills the option of having 2 seafood cities instead of one.
- Less room for barbarians to spawn into after the 1st border pop.

Didn't really cross my mind in my own game, but there are a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

- No need to wait for a border pop to be able to improve the horses
- Settling the PH kills the option of having 2 seafood cities instead of one.
- Less room for barbarians to spawn into after the 1st border pop.

Thanks, sounds reasonably

Playing a shadow (poorly). What would you do now?
Spoiler :
Joao has just converted to Confu and gone wheoorn the same turn.

Playing a shadow (poorly). What would you do now?
Spoiler :
Joao has just converted to Confu and gone wheoorn the same turn.

Spoiler :

I guess, especially since you're spiritual, you could try switching from your religion, finishing up Drama and gifting it to Joao to get him to pleased. Then beg something like Meditation (or some money if he has Currency by the time) to buy yourself some time to build up defenses in preparation of his incoming attack. That of course, if you're his target.

@JSS. Thanks for the advice.
Spoiler :
It worked fine, gifted drama, begged meditation for 10 turn peace treaty. Unfortunately as soon as the peace treaty expired Joao invaded with a decent size stack (swords, cats, LBs etc). Gave up.

Spoiler :
It worked fine, gifted drama, begged meditation for 10 turn peace treaty. Unfortunately as soon as the peace treaty expired Joao invaded with a decent size stack (swords, cats, LBs etc). Gave up.
Sorry to see this didn't work out for you... I'll watch for that Portugese

Played 31 turns: from 3160 BC to 1920 BC (turn 52)

Eooookay, I'm back! Sorry for the delay but I was enjoying holidays and other pleasant stuff so had a big break in my civving.

But I'm not letting this game down! Me & Hatty, we fo' life yo.

Things are going ok I think. Settled City 2, got Horses, produced another Settler whilst mostly ending Barb trouble.

Back to the action:

Spoiler :
3160 BC to 2480 BC (turns 21 to 38):​
I decide to go Pottery before BW because I want to start improving my commerce input early, because Granaries are cool, because Slavery can wait a few turns, and because I'm not planning to chop the few forests I got too soon.

Our brave exploring Warrior makes an unfortunate encounter...
Spoiler :

...and dies.

We're left with no military, which I like to consider as one of my specialities...

My Worker finishes improving the Pigs and a Warrior is about to depart for Barb defense.

We'll then go Warrior > Warrior because I'm really feeling vulnerable right now (with having 0 military units and all).

I decide to send my Worker to mine the PH because some production won't hurt and he'll be in place to help City 2.

Turn 29: my second Warrior is built and it's not a luxury because I'm dodging big annoying bullets right now...

However City 2 can't wait any longer and Thebes has reached happy cap so I go Warrior > Settler in Thebes.

Turn 30: Hinduism is finally founded! It's for Persia and the holy city is close by (well, the only one we can see - Pasargadae).

Turn 31: Pottery is in! Go BW. Worker finishes PH mine and starts on FP cottage that will be shared with City 2.

We meet this nice dude:
Spoiler :

He is the founder and only believer in Buddhism.

Turn 36: my first settling party is about to depart.

Turn 37: Settler > Warrior (1 turn with OF). Hesitated with putting OF in Granary but I'm still very vulnerable to Barbs so Warrior it is. Worker is roading to City 2 spot.

Turn 38: Warrior > Worker because all these dry tiles are very expensive in Worker turns and I want to be able to drive my expansion appropriately.

Memphis is founded.

... and starts on a Warrior (barbs, barbs, barbs...)

2480 BC to 1920 BC (turns 38 to 52):​
We meet another pushover, which could be good or bad news (Joao smells more and more like runaway civ).
Spoiler :

As expected health is a major issue in Memphis... :lol:

But I have lots of health resources lying around + Joao is willing to trade Rice so should be ok medium term.

1 turn before the Memphis border pop my Worker puts 1 turn into road to Horses:

The road will be finished on his way back from improving them.

Turn 43: [ Thebes - Worker > Granary ].

The Worker roads to Corn for health improvement.

Turn 44: BW is in, spiritual revolt to Slavery. Research set to Writing.

[ Memphis - Warrior > Granary ]. Gran will help with growing but most of all for health short term.

Speaking of which I get this deal to strengthen my diplomacy crap with Red Cheeks:

Turn 45: bit of tile manipulation to maximize whip OF while growing to size 5:

Turn 47: very nice whip OF means I can get another Settler at size 3 in 5 turns:

We meet our last dude, a feisty one this time which is good I think:
Spoiler :

Turn 50: Horses are finally in, fog-busting is satisfactory, and a road to Pigs + City 3 is on it's way.

We can't see it here, but a few Worker turns have been put in cottages to optimize movements (just to let you know that my Workers haven't been fooling around).

Turn 52: our 2nd Settler is built! Time to consider the situation.

So here's our situation:

I think the best 3rd spot is this one because it grabs good land in the direction of other AIs:
Spoiler :

However I am unsure about cities 4&5.

Could City 4 be on this red spot or is it too far?
Spoiler :

Or should City 4 be in the desert Stone/Gold/FP area? And in such case which of the violet or grey spots is best?
Spoiler :

I also have 2 good backfill cities once expansion will be blocked by AI borders:
Spoiler :

As for the Big Plan, things aren't very advanced diplo-wise so don't really know yet. In any case I'm looking at probably 6/7 decent city spots which is a very good perspective...

Other considerations:
Spoiler :
Land:​

Diplo:​

Are you sensing some dogpiling??

Religion:​

Wonders:​

Cities:​

Mesdames et Messieurs, what do you think?

Attachments

• STH#3 pomthom BC-1920.CivBeyondSwordSave
    93.7 KB · Views: 60
Why are you planning to settle your 2nd city away from the Nile? I always get dislikes when settling outta river in NC games.

Why are you planning to settle your 2nd city away from the Nile? I always get dislikes when settling outta river in NC games.

On Deity you have to get barb defense before they start to be a problem. If horses were not found, Archery would've been teched soon.

Settling your early game cities with short-term benefits in mind is usually the best option anyway. Here the city grabbed horses and cows which are strong tiles to work. Working those 2 tiles outweighs losing the fresh water bonus that only starts affecting you in late game.

Ok, point taken. If this was my game I would've settled horse city and riverside sity as a noob.

Ok, point taken. If this was my game I would've settled horse city and riverside sity as a noob.
It wouldn't necessarily have been bad. I chose this spot for the reasons JSS evoked plus also because I was thinking of other city spots: I had to grab the horses whilst not screwing up another spot near the Sheep or Fish.

But your concern is perfectly legitimate, I hate settling with no fresh water (and yet I'm planning my City 3 also with no fresh water... oh well :lol:)

Wait... Philosophy can be bulbed with a GA? That's something I've never thought about.

I'd tech Aesthetics to use as a trade bait, but head for Currency right after Alpha. You don't have Marble (if I recall correctly), so getting to Literature first is not important. It's true that techs like Drama and Music are great for trading. With a powerful capital and a high number of cities though, Currency -> CoL -> CS makes more sense to me.

Top Bottom