[Deity] Stairway to Heaven #3: Hatshepsut of Egypt (Pangaea)

Hmm, and then 1E of stone.
No because that doesn't grab the 2nd Gold. I think I prefer 2N1E of Stone (the Pink spot) regardless of my decision to settle 2S3E of Evora first or not

I love to settle like that when I'm Cre. What's he gonna do? :)
The close borders situation will not be that bad that he'd drop away from Cautious any time in the near future.

I'd rather not kill the FP. Then maybe both cities aggressively next to block "your" land? 1SE of eastern gold and your purple spot (2N of western gold)? Then backfill. Just a suggestion, I have no idea how would Portugal respond to that. :hammer:

4th city on the stone?
I though about it but it's not river side, doesn't take the Gold, and has a bit too much desert in BFC for a 4th city...

I'd rather not kill the FP. Then maybe both cities aggressively next to block "your" land? 1SE of eastern gold and your purple spot (2N of western gold)? Then backfill.
Oh you mean by Settling on it. Yeah OK but the Gold sure makes up for it.

RagingHordes is right when thinking that I might as well settle the Western Gold spot first rather than the Purple spot if I intend to be aggressive with border tension. The Purple spot probably won't be available by the time I get a 4th Settler out though...

The close borders situation will not be that bad that he'd drop away from Cautious any time in the near future.
True... but if he decides to go to war, I'll be high on his list of potential targets.

However being SPI I probably could concentrate my diplo tricks on him to avoid declaration until Lib (being reasonably safe from Gandhi and Darius lol).

Yeah you have few options here. Too bad we can't see if Joao has space to settle W or N of his capitol. He only recently settled Coimbra, right? I'd try aggressive approach, but that's just me. Race for purple spot as your 4th city might be close...I'd have to be in-game to see it more clearly though.

Yeah you have few options here. Too bad we can't see if Joao has space to settle W or N of his capitol. He only recently settled Coimbra, right? I'd try aggressive approach, but that's just me. Race for purple spot as your 4th city might be close...I'd have to be in-game to see it more clearly though.
I attached the save if you fancy

I don't worry much about your three immediate neighbors. They are science wimps!
You are the biggest warmonger in the area. (they fear you, I can smell it!)

Yeah... :lol:

No idea really. Killing FP for gold in 1st ring might be worth it. And that city would instantly be connected. You could queue settler instead of worker and chop that spice into it for fast 4th city. Yeah it looks Joao settled both of his eastern cities recently, so I think you can reach western gold before him.

Well it would appear that through his cunning mind tricks RagingHordes sold me on the aggressive gold settle thing...

Concerning tech path I'm aiming for Aesth > trade for Alpha > trade for other kool stuff > Currency. Sounds reasonable?

Currency is never unreasonable! :)
It's probably the best play, since you'll be among the first to get to it, with your Cottages and future gold.

Played 18 turns: from 1400 BC to 800 BC (turn 83)

A lot of lil' stuff: +2 cities, 1 razed Barb city (yes I know the you-must-never-raze-a-barb-city stuff, but well sometimes maybe you do... you'll tell me), some heavy and sometimes hesitant City + Worker micro, Alpha, but most importantly I probably secured enough land for 9 settled cities which is very promising and particularly unhoped-for on Deity Pangaea...

Back to the action:

Spoiler Tale of the Stairway :
1400 BC to 800 BC (turns 65 to 83):​
Oh yeah so through shrewd unit movement I manage to completely blow my fog-busting for 1 turn and voilà:

That's alright, I have WCs :evil:
Not too happy about the city placement though... we'll see.

Anywayz I decide to settle my 4th city all the way to that Western Gold, right in Joao's face (eat it!) ; hurrying my Worker to go and mine that Gold as soon as possible:

I'll start on a Worker in that city because it'll be working the Gold tile until it has an irrigated FP to grow on.

OH YEAH: notice how, even though on the same river, my 4th city isn't connected to my empire?

Turns out I need Sailing and $ht. Funny story... oh well, I need to road over there any way.

I start building some WCs kinda everywhere cause it'll be good and I'll be able to kick these Barbs' ass before someone else comes fooling around in my territory.

Turn 70: Expansion, expansion! I start on a 5th Settler in Heliopolis:

Turn 72: Darius and Joao now have Alpha, I better move faster with Aesthetics (5+ turns away).

Turn 73[/]: [ Thebes ] grows to size 5 and happy cap so I start running those long needed Scientists.

Luxury Resource? Yeah!

Also it's about time I roaded into Joao for juicy foreign trade routes.

And my 5th Settler is almost here!

Even if not really necessary now I'll whip that into a Barracks because this'll be a good prod city (with Irrigation chains...). Looking back, maybe not so much of priority at this point.

So where should I put my next city?? Well I decided to stay consistent with my previous settling move and settle aggressively towards Joao's borders because the jungle spot had still not been taken.

Shaky short-term but solid medium-term. But more importantly, this seals off a good chunk of land to settle peacefully the rest of my $ht. Plus Joao's already improved the GL Cows for me... how nice :evil: (<- the evil god of Creative leaders)

Working too much unimproved tiles in Heliopolis so time for some more whippage with mass OF. But I don't know what to put it into!!

It'll be a Library... not a commerce spot but it's cheap and I'll be able to run Scientists so that's ok I guess.

Turn 80: in the meantime, I've researched Aesthetics and I'm ready to take on some Barb dudes.

Will I keep this city??
Spoiler :

Well I'll have to wait next turn.... :scan:

Naaah let's raze the damn thing. :evil: I've expanded agressively and this crap city would tank my fragile economy. Waste of hammers but I'll backfill with a city 1N later on.

For now, no more new cities until Currency...

Turn 82: and finally...

Followed by:

Time to take a break...

So here's our situation:
1. Tech trades
Here's the score:
Spoiler :

I'm thinking of trading Alpha for Maths to Gandhi and then maybe Maths for IW? What do you think? I can also try and beg Mysticm from Gandhi.
2. Production
I'm pretty much running out of things to build in my "oldest" cities and I'm not at Currency yet.

Cities:
Spoiler :

I've queued Spies cause maybe it could be interesting to steal a bit of tech such as Myst/Hunting/Sailing from Darius to save some WFYABTA trading chips.
3. Religion
My 2 nearest neighbours (Jo' & Dar') but also likeliest targets are Hindu, while Gandhi/Alex/Freddy are Bouddhist. Only Bouddhism has spread to my cities for now. With Gandhi it is also probably the most likely religion for the AP. Should I do something now? I could use the extra :) but that's about it.

Further descriptive screenshots:​
Spoiler :
Land:​

Diplo:​

Demo:​

Wonders:​

Mesdames et Messieurs, what do you think?

Attachments

• STH#3 pomthom BC-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    135.1 KB · Views: 58
Looking good.
I'm pretty much running out of things to build in my "oldest" cities and I'm not at Currency yet.
Build research?

As I said in your other thread, deity pang with visible shoreline... I move on the ph 1N of corn. Mining-bw and chop settlers to block land and later backfill. gl

There aren't that many forrests to chop.

Get horse and build war chariots. Helps deal with barbs too.

EDIT: Too late. Doesn't matter. This is a win.

EDIT 2: WHY IS THAT GOLD MINE IN ALEXANDRIA NOT MINED AND WORKED? Feels like you 1 or 2 more workers.

EDIT 2: WHY IS THAT GOLD MINE IN ALEXANDRIA NOT MINED AND WORKED? Feels like you 1 or 2 more workers.
Dude, the border just popped and from memory there's at least 1 Worker already on it (started mining the turn the Gold came online) plus another one heading his way, if he's not already there... :)

In the meantime Alexandria is working GL Cows + dry Corn, it's not a total waste :)

Build em settlers / workers so they are in place when currency kicks in?

I think you want to improve your relation with Persians and Portuguese (who border you): Neither Jao nor Darius plot war @ pleased!
This should be easy if you get Hinduism and you can make use of "fair trade" as well.

Also I'd keep the Greek backwards so he can be sent into (or out of) war at leisure.
Quoting the CIV illustrated for you: Alex Can be bribed to war against AI: Cautious (If he is pleased or lower with target AI)

The only challenge you may face at this point is if you don't have iron (which we hope obviously :satan:)

Build em settlers / workers so they are in place when currency kicks in?
I thought about that but I was afraid that if I settled 2/3 cities right after Currency it would be too brutal on my economy. Then again, with Currency you can...

I think you want to improve your relation with Persians and Portuguese (who border you): Neither Jao nor Darius plot war @ pleased!
This should be easy if you get Hinduism and you can make use of "fair trade" as well.
That sounds like very sensible advice, although I reckon none of them are big religious guys (but Darius is the Hindu leader so that's still some very significant diplo). Shared religion will also help my spy tech steals from Darius.

That being said, there ain't a single Hindu soul in my empire :D

Also I'd keep the Greek backwards so he can be sent into (or out of) war at leisure.
By that you mean "don't trade techs with him unless it's for a bribe"?

The only challenge you may face at this point is if you don't have iron (which we hope obviously :satan:)
Let's hope this will be my first Deity win then :D
Iron is also my concern since having 3 sources of Copper significantly lowers the odds of having Iron. However this also means that other AIs have lower odds of having Copper (at this point only 2 of them do) so I'll probably be able to make a Copper <-> Iron trade (can already do it with Gandhi).

Top Bottom