Deity University - Justinian

kossin

Deity
Welcome to the Deity University!

After over 10,000 views, 3 weeks and a number of submissions in the previous thread, I jumped the gun and started the next map :)

This particular series will focus on playing Civilization IV - Beyond The Sword at the highest level that shipped with the game: Deity level. It will also try to generate discussion as to which approaches are best or just in general.

Contrary to the Deity Doctorate and Deity Cookbook, there will be no voting rounds and save selected from which to play on. However, players are strongly encouraged to look at the other submissions, ask questions, critique and even play from someone else's save. To aid in this task, we ask players to submit their rounds no sooner than the announced date.

We will try a 4-round approach this time, with the first 3 rounds being 50 turns and the fourth round will allow players to close up their game. It should help cover the two initial phases of gameplay while not being too stretched out once the game is in hand.

This is the first random game I generated, once again. Don't blame me if we start next to Toku with little commerce!

Thus, our leader is:

Another pretty good leader, the flexibility of Spiritual is great to avoid Anarchy and get the most out of civics.

Here's the start:

Not swimming in food once again but it looks easier for commerce. Who will move the settler? Who will settle in place? That unforested tile under the warrior sure looks suspicious, but there very well could be more food in the vicinity - I don't know.

Game settings are as follow:
  • Fractal
  • Deity Difficulty
  • Normal Speed (a worldbuilder save is included)
  • No Events/No Huts (for comparison's sake)
  • Everything else is standard

If you skipped everything above, here's what you need to read:

1. If you should choose to use the worldbuilder save, please remember to add Archery, The Wheel, Hunting and Agriculture to the Barbarians via Worldbuilder. Each time you don't, a Deity AI will feast on a barb city (literally!).
  2. If you play on another speed than Normal, consider a shorter version than the turn multiplier as troop movement doesn't scale.
  3. Round lengths have been fixed to 50 turns for the first 3 rounds (0-50;50-100;100-150) while the fourth round is until the end (150-Victory/Defeat). You can play the whole game in the next two hours if you so wish, but you are only allowed to post a report+save until the current round's end!
  4. New round openings will be announced throughout the thread when the timing seems right.
  5. Finally, you may also choose to play any round from another player's save but please mention it in your report.

Round starting dates are as follows. Please note that as a new round starts, there might be spoiler information posted concerning the previous rounds.
Round I: Thursday, April 08th 2010 (this post)
Round II: Thursday, April 15th 2010 (starts here)
Round III: Sunday, April 18th 2010 (starts here)
Round IV: Wednesday, April 21st 2010 (starts here)

~~~

Best of luck to everyone!

I'll definately try this one out tonight.

A SIP Capital seems to be a bit lacking for early game imo, though it would probably be hard to find out if there's any better spots nearby without losing turns from moving the settler around. The capital doesn't seem to be overly suitable for specialization in any way either. At least there's plenty of forests to chop to settle the nearby lands.

I'd probably move the warrior 1 NE to check for seafood and then SIP if there's none.

Well totally mucked that one up. Never really used the world builder before. Found out all the leaders by mistake and gave the barbs all ancient techs instead of using the add technologies on the left hand menu.

Was wondering why no religions were founded and the barbs founded Hindu, Bud and Jud in 2920BC. Think I'd better sit this one out :lol:

Well totally mucked that one up. Never really used the world builder before. Found out all the leaders by mistake and gave the barbs all ancient techs instead of using the add technologies on the left hand menu.

Was wondering why no religions were founded and the barbs founded Hindu, Bud and Jud in 2920BC. Think I'd better sit this one out :lol:

Yea, I know it sucks to worldbuilder barbs correctly when changing speeds. I'd do it but I kinda want to play the map unspoiled as well.

It's a bit complicated to make Epic/Marathon speeds available and BUFFY versions, but if a kind soul wants to volunteer in the future I can have him/them make the adjustments.

For now I'll stick with this format however, as in the Lincoln University, every report was from Normal speed although a few were done with BUFFY.

Was only using the world builder so I could play it as a scenario, Not change the speed or anything. That way I can use the Buffy Mod (the only way I know how to get it to work). If I download the initial save I can't use Buffy. Much to lazy to check the screens and each leader for WHEEOH each turn seperately.

So if some kind person can tell me how to get around this I would be grateful. :)

Worker first, AG>Hunting>Archery will give you hammers and units that you can use to expand. I think there is coast directly to the north.

Was only using the world builder so I could play it as a scenario, Not change the speed or anything. That way I can use the Buffy Mod (the only way I know how to get it to work). If I download the initial save I can't use Buffy. Much to lazy to check the screens and each leader for WHEEOH each turn seperately.

So if some kind person can tell me how to get around this I would be grateful. :)

Personally I use BULL+BUG in Custom Assets which works very similarly to BUFFY.

Just keep in mind you need to keep the original .dll for HoF/BoTM/etc games.

Last Deity University there was a friendly soul who provided a BUFFY save, and I would be much obliged if someone could do so again. Like Sleepless I find it to be a pain in the butt to check for WHEOOHRN every round and I very much enjoy the features BUFFY provides.

Spoiler :

SIP
AG>Worker
Turn 8 - Contact North - JAPAN
Turn 10 - Wang Kon from the west, AG is in, research Hunting.
Turn 14 Kyoto revealed on a hill.
Turn 15 - Worker done, goes to rice, build warrior
In between - barb archer kills my warrior
Turn 20 Mansa Hindi - DAMMIT
Turn 22 Gandhi Buddah
Turn 24 - Archery in, Mining>BW now.
Turn 29 - SH built by somebody
Turn 32 I start an 8 turn settler, Rice & 2 ivory improved. 1 archer goes sw to look around
Turn 40 - Settler 1 done.
In between - GW of Toku. I guess I will get some barbs coming in now.
Turn 41 - Second city founded SW on bluedot coast, 1 N of pigs.
Turn 43 - BW is in. No copper in range. Set research to AH.
Turn 46 - 2nd worker done, making second archer.
Turn 50 - Border pop.

2 cities - 2 workers - 3 arhers - 1 warrior

My first 50 turns very briefly:

Spoiler :

Moved settler 1 east to gain 2 city tile hammers, this proved even to be better when the gems were revealed. Tech path was AG->Mining->Hunting->Archery (didn't want to risk with deity barbs)->BW->Pottery (with 2 happy resources early granaries are probably worth it )->Writing

Civ4ScreenShot0827.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0826.JPG

View attachment Justinian Deity University BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

Hoping I will have time to give this one a go. Skipped the last one and was happy I did so after finding out how hard it was ;).

Anyway. I can provide a BUFFY save here. I have got a sneaky way of making BUFFY work. Load original save (not WB save), open it up in wb, save it. Restart game with buffy mod, open wb and load the save you just saved before and you got your game converted to BUFFY!

Problem is you first have to zoom in greatly to avoid spoilers, then try and not see what different civs you can play when loading the wb... (I was not so skilled and managed to see one of the ai:s in the game.)

Anyway. Here is the save:

EDIT: WARNING seems like the barbarians did not get the correct tech after all (thanks to Sleepless who pointed this out to me).

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University BC-4000 BUFFY .CivBeyondSwordSave
    26.6 KB · Views: 60
My first attempt at Deity and first post =)

Spoiler :

I settled on the Ivory for more early production. Got Gem in BFC as a nice bonus. The unforested tile under the warrior turned out to be Horse later. Research went: Agriculture, Mining, Bronze Working, Hunting, Archery, Animal Husbandry, Pottery. Builds in capital: Worker, Warrior, Warrior, Settler, Worker, Settler, Archer, Worker. Settled 2 cities to block Wang Kon and Tokugawa. Second city got Corn and the Horse. One of my warrior died when attacking an Archer barb at 87% odd =(

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    107.9 KB · Views: 44
Attached is my first attempt at diety in BtS as well:

Spoiler :
Settled one E on the ivory for the extra hammer in the capital... Gems! :goodjob:

Build order in the capital was:

Worker
Warrior x 2 (grow to size 2)
Settler
Archer (grow to size 3)
Settler
Worker
Archer (grow to size 4)
Worker (parial)

Tech path was:

Agriculture (rice)
Mining (gems)
Hunting (ivory)
Archery
BW
Animal Husbandry
Pottery
Fishing (partial)

Second city was settled to the SW to capture pigs, fish and dye and built a monument (whipped), partial archer, and then started a granary as soon as Pottery was in.
Third city was settled to the NE to capture cow and dye and to block Toku. First build is a monument.

Attachments

101.6 KB · Views: 56
Not my first Deity game, but I'm still very far from winning consistently, I decided to give it a try anyways. ;)

So here's my round 1:

Spoiler :

T1 : I send the Warrior 1 NE to spot seafood but find none, so SIP

T5 : Find gems just 1 tile from BFC :cry:
I even considered settling 1E at the start, but thought losing the dye and what's possibly on that unforested tile wasn't worth an extra hammer, oh well.

T6 :Meet Toku Scout NE, very narrow strip of land so easily blockable

T8 :Zara Scout NE

T10:WK unknown from where, but due to his EP spending and him not having met toku/zara must be either south/northwest and there has to be at least 1 more civ there too.

T15:Worker & Hunting finished, so many forests around and chance for copper in BFC -> naturally I head for Mining -> BW next
Cap starts growth on a warrior

T22:Gandhi Archer shows up NW, pretty sure now WK came from there as well, so it looks like I'm in the center of a 3-way choke, possibly the land to the south being all mine

T26:2nd warrior gets sent east to spawn bust my gems/fish site. I actually decide to do something which sounds a bit silly and I haven't even done before, I go for a monument next in the capital...I did this for the reason that I wanted to settle my gems site soon, but as you can see in the pic above the only logical place was in reach of the fish where it'd need a border pop to reach the gems. Did the math and it turns out I gain 6 turns of being able to work that gems mine, which is big in my book for early game, so I go for it.

T32:Monument done, warrior next to finish growth to 4

T34:Worker->Settler next

T36:BW done, since copper is nowhere in sight, I'm going for Archery, could gamble on horse in BFC but even if there's a resource there, it's only 1/4 that it's horse and too much land nearby for barbs to spawn so I need protection soon.

Meanwhile WE bug reveals Mansa to be around somewhere, probably near Zara+Toku, starting to look like a pretty tech-heavy game here

T40:I notice WK border to the NW as expected

T42:Archery done, tech to Pottery->AH->Fishing for now

T44:Settler done, heads to claim gems, start on archer

T46:Thessalonica settled, research immediately improves by quite a bit, starts work on a monument to get to the fish

T48:Meet Charly NE

T50:Thats it, no more interesting things happened. I have the barbs pretty much under control for now, hoping to get a few more settlers out soon to claim that awesome food site with pigs/fish/rice and block WK to the west.

Whatever land is down south should be mine for the taking since I know all civs on the map and am pretty sure where they're located. The land down there doesn't look too promising from what I could scout so far though, since it's easy to block I'm not in a hurry to get there yet anyways.

Diplomacy-wise it seems like we're gonna be right in the middle of a religious clash, Buddhist Ghandi + WK to the west, Jewish Zara and whatever lackeys he can convert to the east, MM probably being Hindu founder over there too. Guess I'll decide which gang to join once I see if Toku converts/how close he is, or whichever the majority follows.

Build Order was : Worker -> Warrior -> Monument :eek: -> Warrior -> Worker -> Settler -> Archer -> Archer -> (placeholder Granary for now)

Techs : Agri -> Hunting -> Mining -> BW -> Archery -> Pottery -> AH

Finally couple more pics from T50:
Spoiler :

Attachments

110.6 KB · Views: 78
4000BC-2000BC
1) settling
Spoiler :

Move warrior up to check coast. seeing nothing deside to settle on lake ivory.

Reasoning, from the view I will loose forest and 1 hill tie. I will get 1 hammer turn from city site. I could get something else good in new fat cross. There is one grassland tie which could have special resource I will loose, but that would not have immediate effect.

2) tech path and second city settling decision.

Spoiler :

Tech path went, farming, hunting, mining. I wanted more production before commerce to get a few warriors before starting settler at size 3.

I sort out barbarian problem by placing warrior blocking barb spawn almost everywhere. in addition AI's provide a lot of fog busting.

at that time I start plan/settling consideration. we meat almost every AI at that time, at 2000Bc I think we meat all of them, AI central.

That make potentially a huge amount of foreign trade routes. GL is that way to sort out early research problem. Well what is the best site to build GL? Answer is next to pig with fish/corn in fat cross, 4 forests in fat cross, 2 plain hills.

So, next research AH-fishing- sailing-pottery-Masonry (3 turns left). evidently I need border expand.

I did not research BW so far, capital is too food poor to use it.
Pottery to be able to build something else then settlers/workers.
Capital build order went worker - warrior * 3- settler-worker-worker- barrack(I do not want more units yet, have to build something when grow).

second city build order went obelisk-lighthouse.

Final pictures:
Spoiler :

Attachments

102.9 KB · Views: 51
@ ilovekonoka

Spoiler :

What was your reasoning in whipping a settler (or whatever you whipped) in your capital at this point ? With the little food it has, it's gonna take a while for it to grow back up and you lose valuable terms working that gems mine. I think you don't need to hurry that much to block the AI on this map.

Also, probably should have considered settling Adrianople 2W 1N on the plains hill if going for an early block on Toku to gain the hills defense bonus in case of a dow from him (I learned this the hard way in another recent game myself ;) )
The city itself would have been better located that way as well, since with it doesn't really have the food to work all those plains tiles to the east anyways.

Mind you I'm no expert on this, but might be some things to think about for your next games.

Hoping I will have time to give this one a go. Skipped the last one and was happy I did so after finding out how hard it was ;).

Anyway. I can provide a BUFFY save here. I have got a sneaky way of making BUFFY work. Load original save (not WB save), open it up in wb, save it. Restart game with buffy mod, open wb and load the save you just saved before and you got your game converted to BUFFY!

Problem is you first have to zoom in greatly to avoid spoilers, then try and not see what different civs you can play when loading the wb... (I was not so skilled and managed to see one of the ai:s in the game.)

Anyway. Here is the save:

Thanks for the save but for anyone using it you have to add agr, hunt, arch and the wheel to the barbs. Thought I'd try again a day later but seems a bit unfair to have early barb cities with warriors in. :)

Sorry have to play till t60 for an arty farty opening :)
Spoiler :

Settled 1E. Tech: Mining=>Hunting=>Meditation=>PH=>Writing=>Monarchy. Finished Monarchy and the Oracle at the same turn. Mansa gave me an Agriculture.

Units: Worker=>3 Warriors=>The Oracle=>Settler=>The Oracle.

Have three possibilities next:
1. Revolt to HR/Vassalage/Serfdom. Trade for BW/IW. Spam 3-level Swordmen to rush Wangkon.

2. Wait and rush with Cata/phant/Longbow. There is two bar cities to the south. Easy to unlock the HE with a CR2 Swordman.

3. Bulb CoL. The second city has two Food Resources and can serve as an early GP.

Just for fun;)

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    124.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the save but for anyone using it you have to add agr, hunt, arch and the wheel to the barbs. Thought I'd try again a day later but seems a bit unfair to have early barb cities with warriors in. :)

What!? And here I thought all I needed to do was to open the save in wb (i saved from the original game) from buffy...

Does this really mean everytime I save a wb save the barbarians loose all their techs?

Sorry folks if I gave you all some strange save with crippled barbarians. Did not have the time to play it myself yet, the weekend is not here yet...

What!? And here I thought all I needed to do was to open the save in wb (i saved from the original game) from buffy...

Does this really mean everytime I save a wb save the barbarians loose all their techs?

Sorry folks if I gave you all some strange save with crippled barbarians. Did not have the time to play it myself yet, the weekend is not here yet...

If you skipped everything above, here's what you need to read:

1. If you should choose to use the worldbuilder save, please remember to add Archery, The Wheel, Hunting and Agriculture to the Barbarians via Worldbuilder. Each time you don't, a Deity AI will feast on a barb city (literally!).

Poor barbarians...

Top Bottom