Deity unplayable!

bitula

Prince
I understand, that deity supposed to be difficult, but when I read XY civ has entered from modern age into atomic age in 500AD…!!!! This, for the third time in a row, after autumn patch. This is completely wrong and immersion breaking. Now what to do? Go back to prince difficulty? Use a mod? Isn’t this severely disappointing? Does someone think that this is fun this way? Isn’t this a showstopper issue which must be addressed ASAP????

They are probably beelining. Don't let it get you down. Also I believe the dates aren't very accurate. Best to ignore them.

So you people mean: those who like playing (semi-)realistic/immersive games, shouldn’t play Deity? So in Civ6 there is no way to play a game, which is historically/logically balanced/realistic and challenging at the same time?

craney: beelining or not: at 500 AD Teddy had airports (with airplanes) and cities with 85 HP (defense).

So you people mean: those who like playing (semi-)realistic/immersive games, shouldn’t play Deity? So in Civ6 there is no way to play a game, which is historically/logically balanced/realistic and challenging at the same time?

craney: beelining or not: at 500 AD Teddy had airports (with airplanes) and cities with 85 HP (defense).

The only way they can make the AI challenging is by giving him huge bonusses. I find it immersion breaking as well, it becomes too much a game with cheesy tactics to win. So I always play at King difficulty.

But don’t you find “King” too easy? Did you ever lose a “King” game?

No. Those who like play semi-realistic games shouldn't play Civ at all. Civ is strategic game, not historical simulator. If you want more "realism", play EU - it's less strategic and more simulation on this scale.

Because the date is the most important feature for realism...

Really?

Really?

The main problem with realism and immersion is - they are totally subjective. Anything could be an immersion-breaker - from dates to hat color.

The problem is that some people have developed strategies to win space race after ~140-200 turns. So, in principle, if the Egyptians or Romans or Greek would have had such competent, immortal, all powerful & uncorruptible leaders in history, we might have seen 500 AD Greek airports :)

which is historically/logically balanced/realistic and challenging at the same time?

Don't you find it unrealistic that Teddy and America exist at all in 500 A.D.?

The game is not, nor is it intended to be historically accurate. For flavor, they have used historical names, but they could just as easily have made stuff up.

If you want to play at the highest difficulty, then you have to expect the A.I. will accelerate itself in a number of ways. Giving itself tech boosts is just one.

But don’t you find “King” too easy? Did you ever lose a “King” game?

Can you play peacefully at Deity or are you forced to elliminate your neighbours with an archer rush every single game or loose horribly?
Can you afford to try for a religion or will this create a lag in science and culture that you can never overcome every single game?
A desire for a sense of immersiveness is not a thing you can explain. You either feel that or you don't. Not saying my way is the right way: to each their own.

Don't you find it unrealistic that Teddy and America exist at all in 500 A.D.?

The game is not, nor is it intended to be historically accurate. For flavor, they have used historical names, but they could just as easily have made stuff up.

If you want to play at the highest difficulty, then you have to expect the A.I. will accelerate itself in a number of ways. Giving itself tech boosts is just one.

But that flavor is important to me. I don’t have this issue when playing Warcraft or any other fantasy/fiction game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really?

Yes, because so far I didn’t find anything extremely immersion breaking. Its post patch, that I start frequently finding civs in atomic age in about 500AD. That is too early even for semi-realistic games. Firaxis does put some (small) effort into realism and historical accuracy and so far it was OK. But 500AD is just too early. If it was 1800AD or so, would be probably more acceptable for some very successful civs. Btw, why not accelerate culture instead of science? That would be much more realistic. Note, my problem is with Diety difficulty being unrealistic not Civ 6 in general.

If I want to play peacefully, I don't play on Immortal or Deity, simple as that.

I do dislike those highest difficulties anyway. Because the AI is bad, you have to give it large bonuses. But that's no way an ideal compensation. You're basically playing catch up for a long time - and can forget trying to get early-to-mid-game wonders - until you overtake the AI towards the end. It would be great to play against an AI that is competitive without extra settlers and large yield bonuses, because that wouldn't limit your options the same way that happens now.

This is completely wrong and immersion breaking.
The only thing immersion breaking is that Firaxis use a date as well as a turn number. Remove the date and it just means on deity they have advanced much faster than you... which is a key thing to keeping ahead of you .
Immersion is subjective though and as Jesus said, you cannot please everyone.
It is well known about science and speed and high level, it does not mean we are all happy with it but it is certainly not a showstopper.
I never play deity to be immersive, its just not designed for it.

I'd say that the main issue here is just how the game calculates "Year" with respect to turn timer. It really doesn't make much sense. I suspect a lot of these complaints would vanish if they just adjusted the year that is displayed.

A wider problem is that I feel the tech and civics trees are a little sparse and easy to beeline. I'd like to see an expansion add a bunch more techs to the midgame to help this kind of pacing (Enlightenment Era, anyone? :p).

But as for the specific case in this thread, what turn number is it? I'd say it seems reasonable for the AI to have progressed that far given the difficulty setting. Civ is inescapably a game with rapidly multiplying yields. Playing well, in the case of a human player (or having a head start and buffed yields in the case of a Deity AI) allows you to expand more and produce more, enabling you to progress more quickly. There's no way to fix this without artificially hampering good play, which really doesn't sound like good design to me.

It is interesting who finds which difficulty level most enjoyable. We should make a poll.
Earlier I played Prince mostly peacefully, then, because I wanted to prove myself I can win on Deity, after reading more about game mechanics and strategies, I jumped to Deity and had to adapt - thus playing more aggressively. That aggressive style is interesting in its way, it is sobering to try to stay alive. But wars are really not that difficult to wage against the current AI and capturing cities with ready districts and buildings is easier than building them from scratch on one's own. Plus Deity only offered me Domination Victory condition, because it made no sense to switch to another victory condition when I almost won as a warmonger. So now I play mostly Immortal and Emperor, thus returning to the peaceful playstyle for more flexibility and variety. So I have been experimenting with different approaches and strategies and am not done yet. As of now I try to build cities instead of capturing them and use more diplomacy.

Top Bottom