Deity Venice: Guidance Appreciated

Just a few comments on what's already been said.

In deity scouts are so incredibly important just as with any level of play. I prefer two so you meet as many CS and civs as possible in the early game and of course to pickup ruins. Religion is much tougher to come by in deity so if your scouts are first to meet a religious CS you get a lump +8 faith off the bat, +4 if you are second to meet. It's also important to be first to get the +30 gold. So scout like crazy at the beginning.

As for trading extra luxuries go for the +gpt. You need to be DoF anyway to trade for a lump sum which is not easy to be DoF early in some deity games. In the DC30Poland for example your neighbors are Huns, Zulu, Aztec and Assyra! With neighbors like that you need extra luxuries asap to trade for +gpt with one player so you can bribe another with +gpt to go to war.

Good luck on your deity adventure. My first deity BNW win was with Venice also with a diplomatic victory. After that I would suggest giving Poland a try and aim for a science victory.

General Update: No questions at the moment. These past several turns have really been picking up positive momentum. Although I am nowhere close to actually winning, it is also true that I am not losing nearly as badly as before.

Also, teqofc, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will definitely build scouts next time around. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend a Poland Science victory for the next game?

--------------------------------
Special Venice Update: The All-Diplomacy Edition! (Turns 175 - 215)
At my Royal Vizer Maxym’s urging, I assembled a new merchant convey consisting of four frigates and two privateers. I placed the entire convoy under the command of my most capable negotiator, Cpt. Genghisavani D’Shaka, and ordered him to “purchase some used ships for the lowest possible price.” They are currently sailing for distant lands of Morocco.

Someone founded the World Congress. Shortly afterwards, one of my cousins asked me to give his daughter a high-level position in my government as a favor to him. The young lady was hardly qualified for the position he was requesting (Diplomacy Advisor): her only qualification was that she was the most popular girl at the local high school. Yet surprisingly, her advice proved to be very sound. “Like, if you want to be popular,” she told me, “you need to, like, find some nerd that looks really nerdy – like some 90lbs Siamese weakling – and totally tell everyone how stupid and, like, ugly he is. Nice people aren’t popular. People who relentlessly mock unpopular people are popular.”

Well, she was my diplomacy advisor, so I followed her advice. I began by denouncing Siam. Then, for good measure, I also denounced Siam’s friends (Babylon and Morocco). From that moment on, I conducted all of my diplomacy using the same strategies that a popular, manipulative, and utterly heartless teenager would use to gain social status at school. The other nations, seeing that I was popular and that they were not, could not offer me declarations of friendship fast enough. Allow me to put this into perspective : I have so many friends, that even as Venice I am having trouble generating enough cash to fund all of the possible research agreements. When I finally denounced Austria some 50 turns later, something like fifteen other nations denounced her within the next two turns.

As a master merchant and trader, I became concerned about the profit margins on all these research agreements. I was gaining research, yes, but was I gaining an UNFAIRLY EXORBITANT amount of research compared to the other guy? Bold, decisive action was clearly needed. I ordered the construction of a magnificent tower of porcelain to increase my knowledge profit margins, and – get this – I actually completed it! On Deity! (this was the first wonder I have ever completed on Deity, btw). Cunning spies helped narrow the knowledge gap further, and I actually entered the Modern Era before at least 50% of the other civs (with Refrigeration).

Finally, I sent my third Merchant of Venice, Cesare “Deadbeat Freddie” Federicci to purchase the city of Amtwerp (along with three galleasses, four crossbowmen, two swordsmen, one pikeman, and a cannon). Deadbeat Freddie did not perform as well as my previous Merchants of Venice, and ended up agreeing to buy everything for “a hundred million trillion pieces of gold.” The city leaders are ecstatic to have sold the city for such a high price, and Deadbeat Freddie assures them that the check is in the mail.

I've only played one half game on immortal so far, and I was doing quite badly in that one, but you have convinced me to try out diety just to see what it's like. I'm going with England as my civ of choice, and I'm probably going to die, but it will be an experience.

Just a few comments on what's already been said.

In deity scouts are so incredibly important just as with any level of play. I prefer two so you meet as many CS and civs as possible in the early game and of course to pickup ruins. Religion is much tougher to come by in deity so if your scouts are first to meet a religious CS you get a lump +8 faith off the bat, +4 if you are second to meet. It's also important to be first to get the +30 gold. So scout like crazy at the beginning.

As for trading extra luxuries go for the +gpt. You need to be DoF anyway to trade for a lump sum which is not easy to be DoF early in some deity games. In the DC30Poland for example your neighbors are Huns, Zulu, Aztec and Assyra! With neighbors like that you need extra luxuries asap to trade for +gpt with one player so you can bribe another with +gpt to go to war.

Good luck on your deity adventure. My first deity BNW win was with Venice also with a diplomatic victory. After that I would suggest giving Poland a try and aim for a science victory.

How do you recover, if, say, you are on an island and there is only one city state you can reach from land, and no civilizations? If, say, there was one empire to the north of you that blocked off your path that you couldn't even reach before optics because mountains stopped you from finding them. I'm playing my first diety game as England, and while I'm grateful for the lack of an early invasion threat, Only having one city state (and I failed to steal their worker. They ninja improved their only two land improvements while I assumed they wouldn't make one, and now their worker is safe inside their city) and only one barbarian encampment spawn near me early (going honor) kind of makes it difficult to play my standard game. Currently I'm realizing that trade routes are incredibly important in diety because of the mega science bonuses you get from being so far down in tech (half of my science is coming from Persia), but is there anything else I can do to get back on track?

I have the first tradition policy and most of honor. I plan on finishing honor, then going exploration and then hopefully autocracy, and taking on the world and getting a massive fleet when I research navigation.

lol I love how you make it into a story XD Please keep it up!

(kudos to you on trying something I would never ever; I cannot beat deity unless I'm Isabella and I spawn next to great barrier reef which happens to have 5 fish tiles in the vicinity; but I always play Pangaea so that happens not too often)

The AI, regardless of difficulty is really stupid when it comes to positioning units for battle; but I dunno about deity... using planes when I have no way techwise to counter them doesn't require much intelligence.
That said, I wonder if your empire has adopted a religion? (if you didn't found one)

:D

Good read! Top notch. I'd buy your book.
lol I love how you make it into a story XD Please keep it up!
Gruminmor and kb27787, many thanks for your kind words. Your comments meant a lot me.

That said, I wonder if your empire has adopted a religion? (if you didn't found one)
I didn't even get to found a pantheon, let alone a religion. Right now Poland and Austria are converting Venice back and forth between their religions. One of them gives me +1 production to sea tiles, the other gives me... I can't remember. Venice's religion has been so inconsistent that I haven't relied on it at all.

I've only played one half game on immortal so far, and I was doing quite badly in that one, but you have convinced me to try out diety just to see what it's like. I'm going with England as my civ of choice, and I'm probably going to die, but it will be an experience.
Excellent, I’m glad to hear it. I hope that your experience playing on Deity is as much fun as mine has been. Go in with low expectations, but don’t give up no matter how bad things get. For many turns it felt like my situation was completely hopeless, but now I’m starting to feel like, if I can just get some extraordinary luck and pull off some fantastically skillful moves, then maybe, just maybe, I may actually be able to choose which one of my AI rivals will win this game.

How do you recover, if, say, you are on an island and ... <snip>
The most important key to recovering from any situation is refusing to give up. Now that that&#8217;s been said, don&#8217;t let the science stress you too much. At my worst point I was maybe two eras behind in science. Spies were my primary means of catching back up. Research agreements have also been very useful this game. Also, if you have not built the National College yet, try to get it up sooner rather than later as well (I think it was a mistake in this game to have built it as late as I did).

If you are anything like me, you will have many, many more questions during your game. I encourage you to create a new thread so that you can update your progress and continue to ask questions. Feel free to post a link to your new thread in this one if you like &#8211; I look forward to following it.

Well, at the very least I'm learning that England's extra spy is AWESOME on Diety! With all the trade routes and spying, I'm improving on tech faster than I ever have before. Unfortunately, all the computers are still a million techs ahead of me, and I doubt Darius will be super happy when he discovers that England is stealing all his basic technologies, but at least I can zoom through the tech tree through espionage and trade route science.

It's been interesting so far. One telling stat is that I'm getting 59 score from population, while Darius is getting 173 from pop. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's deity, and that the game is supposed to be like this, and that I'm not actually doing terribly.

Venice In Pictures: (Turn 217: 1535 AD)

A look at the capital city, Venice. The Empire of Poland (Autocracy) owns my northern and western borders. The Iroquois People's Republic (Order) owns most the land to the south. England used to own the land to the west, but it has been mostly conquered by Poland.
Spoiler :

My other two cities, Colombo and Antwerp. Colombo is about 12 hexes northwest of Venice. Antwerp is another 10 hexes north of Colombo (maybe 20 hexes northwest of Venice). Colombo is heavily bordered by Poland. Antwerp is bordered by China to the west.
Spoiler :

A glamour shot of the glorious "merchant convoy" in search of Moroccan ships.
Spoiler :

My tech tree, policy tree, and demographics.
Spoiler :

Have you got a plan on how to win? Diplo or Science seem like the only options right now. Do you have ideology yet? If not and still working on rationalism tree, hold off since you have plenty of RA partners and once you get a different ideology than them they can turn on you very fast. I would say science, but diplo is very doable too.

You don't seem to be in position to grab a lot of cities, which I find is the easiest way to diplo. You sell them to your "friends" before the vote and buy CS with the cash.

Thanks for the pics, keep us updated.

It&#8217;s only been 35 turns since my last post, but it feels as though an entire game has occurred during that time. I apologize in advance for the length of this update. I&#8217;ve added at TL;DR summary at the bottom for anyone who has been following the game and doesn&#8217;t want to wade through all of this text.

----------
Venice Ascendant (Turns 215 &#8211; 251)
My two privateers managed to bring down a total of six Moroccan frigates and three Moroccan privateers. I would have been in command of the an exceptionally powerful fleet after these battles, but the wily Moroccans had (apparently) equipped all of their ships with self-destruct buttons. My privateer would close in, the Moroccan captain would push a big red button labeled &#8220;DO NOT PUSH,&#8221; and then *BOOM* - another Moroccan ship would sink to the bottom of the ocean. I only captured a total of 2 out the 9 ships my privateers attacked. But just when the voyage seemed certain to be unprofitable, the Moroccans offered me thousands of gold doubloons (and additional gold per turn) if only I would agree to stop destroying every ship they tried to build. Profit obtained!

Meanwhile, the city-state of Cahokia had heard rumors of Venitian privateers that were so bloodthirsty, the ship captains of Morocco had all installed self-destruct devices on their ships to save their crews from a fate worse than death upon capture. My fourth Merchant of Venice (&#8220;Gaspara Balbi&#8221;), who firmly denies spreading false rumors about those same privateers preparing to attack Cahokia, agreed to meet with city leaders to negotiate a fair price for protection. As the negotiations began, a few privateers were spotted off the coast, and the city leaders panicked. They agreed to purchase protection for &#8220;3 regiments of pikemen, 3 gatling guns, 4 galleasses, 4 privateers, and the entire city.&#8221;

Gaspara later noted that the appearance of the privateers during the negotiations was &#8220;A coincidence. No further comment.&#8221;

I do have some tragic news to report about Niccolo. Niccolo De Conti, my first Merchant of Venice, had been serving as my spy for many years (this is not made up &#8211; I think that Venice uses the same list for spy names as it does for Merchant of Venice names). When I casually remarked how much I would love to have an allied city state of my very own, Niccolo took it upon himself to stage a coup and take it for me. He had an 85% chance of success&#8230; it seemed so certain&#8230; and he would have gotten away with it if weren&#8217;t for some meddling kids and their Scooby Snack-eating dog. I just take comfort in knowing that Niccolo died doing what he loved: risking his life to increase my personal wealth.

In honor of Niccolo&#8217;s brave sacrifice, I created the &#8220;Niccolo De Conti Industrial Espionage Scholarship&#8221; to pay for special training for promising young spies (&#8220;Industrial Espionoge&#8221; policy). I also created the &#8220;Niccolo De Conti National Intelligence Agency&#8221; to provide spies like Niccolo with the resources they needed to succeed. These two programs, along with many profitable research agreements, have greatly accelerated my rate of scientific advancement. In fact, I am now tied for 1st place in science! On Deity! I&#8217;d be lying if I said that I didn&#8217;t feel a certain amount of pride at that.

Plan for Winning
Now that I am doing well in science, I have set my sights even further. I have ordered the construction of an &#8220;Apollo Program,&#8221; which is a very expensive space program designed for &#8220;peaceful space colonization,&#8221; and is not, in any way, a massive orbital battlestation designed to wrest control of the Earth from space using super-lasers and futuristic doomsday weaponry. The next step towards that goal is to research and eventually build the Hubble Space Telescope. It will require a lot of resources, but I have faith that a Great Engineer will appear when needed most. (1000 faith, to be exact).

Ideology
I have also changed my title from &#8220;King of Venice&#8221; to &#8220;Supreme Emperor of the Entire World&#8221; (I selected Autocracy for my ideology, which is what the VAST majority of the other nations have selected). I have explained to foreign diplomats that the new title is from an ancient Venetian dialect and translates to &#8220;Peaceful Caretaker of Snuggly Kittens.&#8221;

----------
TL;DR
Privateers destroyed 9 enemy ships but only captured 2. Morocco paid thousands of gold for peace. Fourth Merchant of Venice purchased the city of Cahokia. A spy attempted a coup for a city state but was unsuccessful. I have taken autocracy and Industrial Espionage, and am now tied for #1 in science. I have taken no other policies in autocracy, but I have completed rationalism and am going down commerce for the &#8220;purchase discount + science bonus&#8221; policy. I completed Prora, I am beelining for Satellites, and will faith buy an engineer for the Hubble Space Telescope if possible. My plan to win the game is with a science victory. Most of my gold is going towards research agreements and upgrading my horribly obsolete army.

Maxym, I tried to respond to your post mostly in character this time, please let me know if anything was not clear.

Yes, it was all clear ( I didn't see Prora in the Venetian report). That is quite boost from earlier situation. I never thought you could get 1st place by stealing, but I guess why not the AI won't be on same paths. Good work :goodjob:

I apologize for the wrong advice, that turned out to be brilliant :D I guess as Venice you don't need to hunt for navy, you just negotiate a favorable deal for some used boats, unemployed soldiers and a city :lol: but as you can see there is nothing wrong with a good war. How come it was cash not per turn? Were you friends before?

I think the knowledge of red buttons have been spreading I can't grab a Geek boat for life of me in DC31(strat and tips forum) Please kill anyone you find spreading this filthy knowledge and good luck in your space mission, Send reports keep them in Venetian ;)

haha, this game is shaping up to be pretty good. I was well behind with England (like 30ish turns away from a space ship) when Korea ended up winning my deity game, but I made some errors that really costed me. Mostly it was that I went completed honor, and only killed one barbarian camp the entire game, and fought in 0 wars in the game. It was basically a wasted tree for me. I also turned diplo victory off, because I've found it too easy in the past, and that was a mistake. Depending on the total amount of votes required to win, I very well may have been able to win diplomatically if it weren't for me turning off that victory condition.

I hope you can win your game though! I was surprised how close I was to catching up in technology by the end of the game, and by how possible the difficulty felt. It's still not easy, but I think some day I will be able to beat deity. Good luck!

Yes, it was all clear ( I didn't see Prora in the Venetian report). That is quite boost from earlier situation.
Oops, I forgot to include Prora in the Venetian report. I'll just added it to the next post.

I never thought you could get 1st place by stealing, but I guess why not the AI won't be on same paths. Good work :goodjob:
I had a bit of an advantage in terms of good spy targets with 22 civs on the map. I could also usually identify what key techs my opponents had and direct my own research accordingly. That said, my research agreements were very helpful along with the spies. I probably gained more techs from the spies than I did from the research agreements, at least during this catch-up period, but I had to rely on both spies and research agreements together to catch up.

I apologize for the wrong advice, that turned out to be brilliant :D I guess as Venice you don't need to hunt for navy, you just negotiate a favorable deal for some used boats, unemployed soldiers and a city :lol: but as you can see there is nothing wrong with a good war. How come it was cash not per turn? Were you friends before?
Ha, I think the advice was correct - if the random numbers had gone my way, I would have had more and better ships than I would have had by just relying on what the city-states gave me. Just as importantly, it encouraged me to wage a war that was far way from my home and trade routes, and, as you said, it turned out to be brilliant. I was not friends with Morocco beforehand, but I didn't have any trouble receiving a lump sum of gold. I think that special rules must apply during peace negotiations.

I think the knowledge of red buttons have been spreading I can't grab a Geek boat for life of me in DC31(strat and tips forum) Please kill anyone you find spreading this filthy knowledge and good luck in your space mission, Send reports keep them in Venetian ;)
:D

haha, this game is shaping up to be pretty good. I was well behind with England (like 30ish turns away from a space ship) when Korea ended up winning my deity game, but I made some errors that really costed me. Mostly it was that I went completed honor, and only killed one barbarian camp the entire game, and fought in 0 wars in the game. It was basically a wasted tree for me. I also turned diplo victory off, because I've found it too easy in the past, and that was a mistake. Depending on the total amount of votes required to win, I very well may have been able to win diplomatically if it weren't for me turning off that victory condition.

I hope you can win your game though! I was surprised how close I was to catching up in technology by the end of the game, and by how possible the difficulty felt. It's still not easy, but I think some day I will be able to beat deity. Good luck!
Thanks! Also, I think you have a lot to be proud of with your deity game. Surviving a deity game and actually making it into the same league as the AI civs is no small accomplishment. I am experiencing the same surprise you described at how possible victory feels, especially after millennia of everything seeming so utterly hopeless. I do hope that you give it another try one day.

The Beginning of the End (Turns 250 &#8211; 275)

High Stakes Diplomacy

I sat down with the Emperor of Poland to inform him of some horrible rumors I had heard regarding the Shoshone. Although it broke my heart to be the one to tell him, I felt an obligation as Emperor Casmir's friend to let him know that the President of the Shoshone had (possibly) been making unflattering comparisons between Casmir&#8217;s mother and an obese Carthaginian Forest Elephant. As Poland&#8217;s concerned friend, I vowed not to stand idly by in the face of such (alleged) insults. I promised to support Emperor Casmir with the gold per turn he needed to wage righteous war against the Shoshone. For Casmir&#8217;s mother.

I never thought that a little harmless war and genocide would hurt anyone, but I was wrong.

((Disclosure: I have been bribing the AI nations to declare war against each other for most of the game with extremely favorable results. I am just documenting the one episode with slightly unfavorable consequences here because it makes for a better story)).

Unfortunately, I underestimated the popularity of Emperor Casmir&#8217;s mother with the other civilizations (&#8220;An OBESE Carthaginian Forest Elephant?!! This time the Shoshone have gone too far!&#8221;). Perhaps eight to ten nations denounced the Shoshone within the next few turns. Did I mention that in addition to being Poland&#8217;s friend, I was also friends with the Shoshone at the time? My previously loyal other friends began to look at me suspiciously because of that relationship.

Worse, the Shoshone had great influence at the World Council and successfully passed a resolution to embargo Poland (my most profitable trading partner). Without the trade routes to strengthen our friendship, the relationship with my powerful neighbor soured. I soon received reports that Casmir was plotting against me. Meanwhile, the other nation that shares my borders (the Iroquois People&#8217;s Republic) grew jealous of my superior autocratic ideology and refused to renew our declaration of friendship. I began to hear rumors that that the Iroquois were plotting against me as well.

I realized that inciting war had possibly put my people in a very precarious situation, so I did what any reasonable leader would do: I refused to admit that I had been wrong and tried to prove it by inciting another war. And then another war. And another one, until most of the continent was at war with itself and I was spending so much money on bribes that my gold per turn had fallen into the double-digits. The price was high, but the results were worth it. To make a long story short, all of my potential diplomacy and national security problems are now completely resolved.

The Wonders of Venice
Meanwhile, a mysterious man came riding into town on a solitary horse. He wore a Six-Shooter&#8482; brand graphing calculator on his belt, a wide-brimmed hat on his head, and a look of steely determination on his face. I never learned his name and he never volunteered it. The locals just called him &#8220;Great Engineer&#8221; (Great Engineer was literally his name - I assume this occurred because all of the actual Great Engineer names had already been used up by other civilizations).

Some say that Great Engineer wandered the world to forget a tragic love affair with a beautiful space telescope scientist; others say that he was pursuing revenge on those responsible for a highly improbable luxury-resort-and-space-telescope accident that killed his family. All I know is what he built for Venice before riding off into the sunset: a fabulously high tech luxury resort with facilities capable of launching thrill-seeking tourists into orbit. I would later enhance these facilities to launch spaceship parts and even a space telescope into orbit as well. (in other words, I constructed Prora and the Hubble Space Telescope with a Great Engineer. Technically it was two Great Engineers, but both engineers were obviously the same person because they had the same name, &#8220;Great Engineer&#8221;).

Two turns later, I completed the construction of a new financial district that allows me to invest my financial resources 15% more efficiently. The district&#8217;s large central clock tower has come to symbolize both the district and Venetian finance as a whole. I decided to name the clock tower &#8220;Big Ben,&#8221; after Emperor Casmir&#8217;s mother.

The End Is Near
I have been saving the best news for last: I have researched every technology necessary to complete all six spaceship components(!!!!!). I wish I could tell you that I executed some brilliant strategy after my last post, but I really can&#8217;t. Fifteen research agreements, two great scientists and one porcelain tower in middle of a Scientific Revolution (Rationalism Policy) were all I needed to skyrocket through the Information Age almost as soon as it had begun. Victory is within my grasp.

Yet I am also on the cusp of defeat. I have every technology I need, but as Venice I am limited to building one spaceship component at a time. I have only competed one of the six required spaceship components so far, although I should complete the second component next turn. The remaining four components will require approximately twenty more turns to complete. By contrast, Emperor-Pharaoh Ramses has already built three components because Egypt&#8217;s multiple cities can build multiple components at the same time. Ramses is still several technologies behind me, however, so all is not lost.

I have done what I can. At great expense, I have bribed Indonesia to declare war on Ramses in order to slow him down. I have purchased Uranium from Assyria, rushed a nuclear plant in Venice, reassigned all possible trade routes to increase Venice&#8217;s production, and ordered all specialists to work in the mines and lumber mills except for engineers and artists (I&#8217;m only a few turns from a Great Artist, which will be used for a Golden Age). I even borrowed money to assemble a strike force with the intention of launching a desperate assault against Egypt&#8217;s capital, but I was forced to abandon the idea due to various practical considerations.

So it all comes down to this. My engineers race to complete the remaining four spaceship components before Egypt&#8217;s scientists succeed in duplicating my technological discoveries and usurping my victory. I would be lying if I said the situation wasn&#8217;t extremely tense, but this is also the most fun I&#8217;ve had playing Civilization V in a long time.

I think you're going to pull it off based on what you've said. It takes a longer time to research tech than to build spaceship parts, and the computer likes building space ship parts whenever it has the tech required to build one. Good luck! You did better than I did at least!

The game is over. I imagine that there were probably a couple of newsworthy events during the game&#8217;s final turns, but I certainly don&#8217;t remember what they were. As far as I&#8217;m concerned, only one event that really mattered:

Spoiler :

-------------------------------
This.

&#8230;&#8595;
&#8230;&#8595;
&#8230;&#8595;

I actually won the game. As in, that really happened. On Deity. It is difficult for me to describe the immense feeling of pride that I am experiencing right now, and it is even more difficult for me to describe it without the judicious use of CAPSLOCK and at least fifty exclamation points. Suffice to say, I will probably keep that screenshot forever.

I wanted to write an epilogue for this game because, well, writing is fun. The rest of this post is 100% skippable if you are following this thread for the actual game events.

----------------------------

Epilogue (Turn 296)
After a decade of double shifts and mandatory unlimited overtime, my engineers finally welded the last component into position. The final quality tests were completed, and I personally delivered the countdown.

10&#8230; 9&#8230; 8&#8230;

The Venetian spacecraft rocketed into space as Egyptian scientists watched helplessly from the ground. Egypt had been given almost twenty turns to catch up to my science, but during that time they had only completed a single additional spaceship component.

As my peaceful spacecraft of colonists rocketed towards Alpha Centauri, all of the other nations immediately recognized my superiority. Ramses of Egypt personally traveled to my palace to congratulate me. &#8220;Mighty Emperor of Venice,&#8221; he said while kneeling before me, &#8220;I hereby surrender all of Egypt to you. Your spaceship of colonists made me realize that I am unworthy to compete against you, even though I am literally just a few turns away from doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING and despite the fact that I command the most powerful military on entire the planet. I have taken the liberty of scheduling an appointment with the other civilization leaders to sing &#8220;Kumbaya&#8221; together at 3:30pm and&#8230;&#8221;

That&#8217;s when I woke up from the most bizarre dream I have ever had. I had apparently dozed off shortly after the spacecraft launch. No matter. My assistants brought me a fresh cup of coffee and I resumed command of the mission.

My Alpha Centauri spacecraft was the lovechild of incomprehensively advanced technology and the combined resources of an entire empire. I don&#8217;t think that anyone was particularly surprised when I announced to the world that the USS Alpha Centauri would not be embarking on a long space journey, and instead would be targeting its Doomsday Class weaponry at every major population center and military base on the globe. I gave the other nations twenty-four hours to surrender.

Some surrendered. Some did not, and they died, but I tried to limit the damage and loss of life to the minimum amount necessary. As you may recall, my objective is to own the world and everyone in it. I like to keep my possessions in mint condition.

Today, that dream has come true. My ownership of everything and everyone is absolute. Thank you for reading my story and for all of your support along the way.

Also, thank you for becoming my property. I mean that sincerely.

In all seriousness, I really appreciate everyone who took the time to give me advice, support me with encouragement, or otherwise contribute to this thread. You were immensely helpful in this game, and interacting with you helped make this one of the most fun games of civilization that I have ever played. I also learned a lot from you about Civ 5 strategy in general. I look forward to applying those lessons to my next civilization.

I plan to take a few days to reflect on everything I learned from this game, and then I intend to post another update with my main conclusions. I always appreciate any additional feedback you may have in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom