Deity Venice Photojournal! Enrico the Blackbeard and the power of Trade and Diplomacy!

I'm going to have to try out your trick of leaving an injured unit alive; I've always gone for kill shots whenever possible.
This is rarely useful, but this was the time for sure. He had too many tiles occupied. Thing is wounded units can't attack you so they are just burden on a battlefield. I'd like to stress out that the most important thing is to consider different order of actions: what unit to move first? Who shoots first? Can i somehow free my units from Zone of Control?
Genuine question: How do you have any fun on Deity? I'm seeing the absolutely absurd amount of units that Persia has, and nothing looks fun about that in the slightest. It looks like the most infuriating possible slog, even ignoring everyone else DoWing you while you're trying to deal with it. If it's always like that, I'm having a hard imagining ever wanting to play on Deity more than a couple times to prove I could.
Genuine question: How do you have fun on King? AI certainly can't use its units as effective as human can, so anything below Immortal feels like boxing with a baby. To me VP is a puzzle. A brainteaser. You just need to find a way through all of the obstacles and understand how to utilize your advantages so that you can win despite being weaker by default. This is what feels like fun for me.

I mean after you get used to that difficulty - you just don't whant to go back because you feel like you are playing chess with a 7-year old child...

Two conditions I'm looking for:

- Complete isolation. Venice has way less downsides than anyone else for being isolated, and a lot of positives. This is the "ideal" situation, in my opinion
How does Venice benefit from complete isolation more than other civs? You can get stuck on just 1 city for a long time and sometimes cannot even use all of your trade routes.

Happiness seems really overtuned in general right now. I noticed you never had to worry about dipping into negative unhappiness even being on a huge conquering spree. Do you feel like you ever had to do manage happiness this game?

Happiness seems really overtuned in general right now. I noticed you never had to worry about dipping into negative unhappiness even being on a huge conquering spree. Do you feel like you ever had to do manage happiness this game?
No i didn't. But don't forget that i was Venice. All of my cities were puppets.

I find the idea behind Venice as a whole absolutely fascinating. I tried playing it recently, trying Tradition/Artistry/Industry with heavy wonderwhoring and Goddess of Beauty, aiming for [a] culture victory. I made several big mistakes, that in part came from me not being certain how to utilize Venice's UA and merchants properly and in part from me being unlucky, ended up being very behind in military tech while having no horses at all and only one deposit of 6 iron, and got completely steam-rolled to the point of resigning by Isabella and Attila. It never occurred to me that you can go aggro with Venice, so it's actually pretty cool seeing that option in action.

I find the idea behind Venice as a whole absolutely fascinating. I tried playing it recently, trying Tradition/Artistry/Industry with heavy wonderwhoring and Goddess of Beauty, aiming for [a] culture victory. I made several big mistakes, that in part came from me not being certain how to utilize Venice's UA and merchants properly and in part from me being unlucky, ended up being very behind in military tech while having no horses at all and only one deposit of 6 iron, and got completely steam-rolled to the point of resigning by Isabella and Attila. It never occurred to me that you can go aggro with Venice, so it's actually pretty cool seeing that option in action.
I had spectacular Tourism Venice games, in one game i almost won on turn 260, but the sanctioned me and i lost 22 trade routes targeted at the only civ that was left not influential. Agrtessive Venice is a pretty obvious option actually. Thats simple maths - when everyone build Settlers - you build army.

I'll try to finish the write up tomorrow cause i'm drunken today

What speed are you playing on? also, how do you edit the difficulty settings like you have?

Genuine question: How do you have fun on King? AI certainly can't use its units as effective as human can, so anything below Immortal feels like boxing with a baby. To me VP is a puzzle. A brainteaser. You just need to find a way through all of the obstacles and understand how to utilize your advantages so that you can win despite being weaker by default. This is what feels like fun for me.

I mean after you get used to that difficulty - you just don't whant to go back because you feel like you are playing chess with a 7-year old child...

All this I get; what bothers me is the "carpet of doom" unit spam. Those carpets are what caused me to end my Domination games early in vanilla; at a certain point, there's not a lot of real challenge added by lots of units. It just becomes a slog, a chore you need to complete to win your game. That's what your screenshots remind me of.

How does Venice benefit from complete isolation more than other civs? You can get stuck on just 1 city for a long time and sometimes cannot even use all of your trade routes.

When I say "complete isolation," I suppose I assume you'll have a CS or two nearby. You can just turn your focus completely inward in a way other civs can't do, keep the bare minimum army to deal with harassment from barbs and develop the hell out of Venice. While you're doing all this, your future cities are still developing out there, though a bit slower and with far less focus than if you were already controlling them.

Plus, umpteen billion TRs let you play the catch-up game like no other once you do meet the other Civs.

EDIT: Just looked at your parts 4 and 5; you're seeing something I've noticed in my last couples games, which is the AI randomly declaring multiple wars at once. Might be something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
All this I get; what bothers me is the "carpet of doom" unit spam. Those carpets are what caused me to end my Domination games early in vanilla; at a certain point, there's not a lot of real challenge added by lots of units. It just becomes a slog, a chore you need to complete to win your game. That's what your screenshots remind me of.

When I say "complete isolation," I suppose I assume you'll have a CS or two nearby. You can just turn your focus completely inward in a way other civs can't do, keep the bare minimum army to deal with harassment from barbs and develop the hell out of Venice. While you're doing all this, your future cities are still developing out there, though a bit slower and with far less focus than if you were already controlling them.

Plus, umpteen billion TRs let you play the catch-up game like no other once you do meet the other Civs.

EDIT: Just looked at your parts 4 and 5; you're seeing something I've noticed in my last couples games, which is the AI randomly declaring multiple wars at once. Might be something to keep an eye on.

If the AI is poor and desperate they’ll go to war for money and freinds.

If the AI is poor and desperate they’ll go to war for money and freinds.
Sure, but this is something new, at least to me. It shows up in a couple places in this photojournal; AIs declaring war on three, three or even four people in a single turn. I kept looking for defensive pacts and things of that nature. It's been a fairly large percentage of the wars declared, too.

Sure, but this is something new, at least to me. It shows up in a couple places in this photojournal; AIs declaring war on three, three or even four people in a single turn. I kept looking for defensive pacts and things of that nature. It's been a fairly large percentage of the wars declared, too.

If you think it is a bug report it with logs and a save.

G

Ok this was pretty good! Venice is my favourite civ by far bc it's the most challenging. As the song says, if you can make it in Venice you can make it anywhere.

That said I've never won Venice on Deity, let alone Deity Venice OCC. Tried about 4 times but I was always overrun around the mid-Classical Era with huge invasion armies I just couldn't compete with. In 3 cases it was all AIs I had no beef with, most diplo modifiers green and even one DoF. I think the AIs see you have only one city and a few units and the easy prey is just irresistible for them.

Anyway kudos!

I don't think Venice is most challenging. I think there are way more challenging civs. I mean it is actually pretty easy to capture any AI neighbor - just take army from a nearby City-State and remember about timings - you should hit before they have lots of units

Top Bottom